Profile for thanwen > Reviews

thanwen (Switzerland)

Touching the Moon
Touching the Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars Rating a 4.5, 6 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Touching the Moon (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book very much - I liked the characters and how they were *real*. With real I mean they had their good sides and not so good sides, just as every human has. Everyone makes mistakes or overreacts and when a character in a book does just that, it usually makes them more real and vivid than a character who always reacts perfectly, never struggles, etc. It makes the characters come to life - at least to me. :)

I liked how Julie got to turn her life around, out of her own will and strength, and how she found a real new home, and also love and people who truly care for her. Also how she struggled to let people into her life, and then of course also with what she found out about *her* wolf. She's a strong person who got through a lot and who wasn't waiting for anyone to come running to save her - she is capable of doing her own saving. It was nice to see however that she learnt to trust and see that being with someone is a good thing - and that she doesn't lose power over her own life with that. She made her own decisions - good.

I really liked the native Indian part of the story, both wolf or not :)
And then there's the suspense... uuuuuh. Up until the very last pages.
I'm not going to say much more than that it was very suspense suspense. ;D
Enough said, I don't want to put up any spoilers. :)

Looking forward to a sequel, please!

Persuaded (The Jane Austen Diaries Book 3)
Persuaded (The Jane Austen Diaries Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this version of Persuasion, 6 Jan. 2013
I enjoyed this book so much I read it in two days. And it was two days and not only one day simply because I had to go to work. I guess that says it all.
I won't go into details about the story as enough has already been said in the comment before mine and I don't really want to reveal too much.
It's a very good adaptation and modern version of the original story, the atmosphere is right, it all just fits together so incredibly well - couldn't put it down!

Pride and Popularity (The Jane Austen Diaries Book 1)
Pride and Popularity (The Jane Austen Diaries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and so enjoyable :), 6 Jan. 2013
I enjoyed this one so much. It's such a fun read - and I loved that it's a modern re-telling of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It's fun to know what scenes should come next, yet to guess how they'll actually happen in *this* book. Yet the story is also believable - what with the characters getting tangled up in misunderstandings, wrong communication, etc. I had been wondering how all of this would be adapted in a modern story. I guess it just shows how easily things can get messy when, well, people interact. :)

Wildwitch: The Craft of the Natural Psychic
Wildwitch: The Craft of the Natural Psychic
by Poppy Palin

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 24 Aug. 2011
This was one intriguing, inspiring read that I couldn't put down, but just wanted to read on and know more.
It is not only interesting and inspiring, but actually encourages the reader - which always gets a bit thumbs up from me.
It's definitely a book I'll get back to over and over again.

Some Girls Bite: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
Some Girls Bite: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
by Chloe Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new series!, 6 April 2011
And this would be book 1.
This was one exciting read that I basically gulped down within two days (and it only took me two days because I had to go to work *lol*).
I love how the characters of this series aren't your "typical" ones. Merit is neither the damsel in distress nor is she a super heroine. You can actually relate to her. She has to learn to deal with her new life - and with being suddenly part of a vampire community (never mind her liege Ethan annoying her on a regular basis). Yes, she has some new "powers", but she has to learn handling them, or discover them at all, it's not all easy-peasy.
All characters are developed very well, there's a really good sense of humour (watch me laughing away while reading on the train home...) and I simply LOVE it that while the story clearly will continue in book two, there is a finish to it in book one. The author doesn't leave you hanging in there and I very, very much appreciate that.

An Artificial Night (October Daye Novels)
An Artificial Night (October Daye Novels)
by Seanan McGuire
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and atmospheric, 5 April 2011
Information on the story itself has already been given here by others, so what I'd like to add is that I love how atmospheric (and darker than the previous *great* two novels in the series) it is. It's the type of book where you can not only see but feel the scenery, the atmosphere. I also like how the characters develop - and change. They don't stay what they are from point one, they develop and reveal other sides of them which makes them deeper and richer and all the more interesting.

Temple of the Twelve - Volume 1, Novice of Colors
Temple of the Twelve - Volume 1, Novice of Colors
by Esmerelda Little Flame

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Moving, Amazing, 5 May 2009
This is a spiritual tale, a wonderful one, but beyond this it is much more than *just* that.
You accompany Caroline who begins her life as a novice priestess at the Temple of Twelve (the Twelve being Deities but also colours, each with different, specific meanings).
Caroline has to complete tasks which make her grow and learn much more about herself, but also about life, others, about things she never even expected. She learns to trust and love the Deities freely as even though they challenge her, they are always there for her, too, caring and loving.

I can say that I've been so much drawn into Caroline's story, and without even paying much attention to it, I started to make notes for myself, and I realized I was learning, too. With every step she took, I walked along - first unconsciously and then happily and willingly.
It moved me and inspired me and I can truly say it's the most amazing and precious spiritual book I've read so far.

It's also a book to read again and again and since I know there is going to be more than this one - I am SO MUCH looking forward to the next one already!