Profile for Shazzeth > Reviews

South Shields Poltergeist
South Shields Poltergeist
by Michael J Hallowell

4.0 out of 5 stars "Intruder" is an understatment!, 14 Jun 2012
I finished this book a couple of nights ago, after having spent a month or so reading. I bought it purely on the good reviews, and also I really thought it sounded intriguing. I'm fascinated by the paranormal, and this seemed like one of THE books on the subject, so gave it a shot. Put together by two proper investigators, who encountered the "polt" first hand, along with lots of other investigators. It makes a nice change to see something written by someone who was actually there ("This House Is Haunted" about the Enfield Poltergeist is another excellent read).

I will openly admit, I really struggled with the first 3rd of the book. It is good, in a sense that the authors contribute their thoughts and ideas as to the true nature of a "poltergeist" and what it is (in their opinions). It doesn't just say "the poltergeist did this", but explains WHY the entity may have done so. However, the first part of the book does get a bit repetitive - if I hear once more about a stuffed rabbit holding a box cutter, I will use the box cutter on myself! However, it is informative and well written.

From then onwards, once stuff really starts kicking off (probably around the time of messages being left on doodle boards), this book is a thrilling read. Packed full of thorough descriptions, and including some shocking accounts of the occurrences at Lock Street. Those more skeptical of you will definitely read this book and think "yeah right!", and I myself did that a few times, but overall this is an excellent and thought provoking read. Definitely worth checking out if you are interested in any aspects of the paranormal.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2012 8:15 PM GMT

Battle: Los Angeles [DVD] [2011]
Battle: Los Angeles [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Aaron Eckhart
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 5 Jan 2012
I must admit, I did take a risk when buying this DVD. I had heard very mixed reviews from friends and family - it sounded like it was something you either really loved, or loathed, with nothing inbetween. But I thought I'd give it a shot.

I found the storyline appealing; but everything seemed too accepted by the characters. I mean, if I woke up one morning and found aliens shooting the hell out of where I live, I would be really terrified...aliens aren't an every day occurrence, after all. But despite being a little shocked at the situations, our characters seem to take it all a little too in their stride.

I also didn't like the fact that you have no real opportunity to make a connection with any characters in this film. I cannot tell you a single character's name, or what they do throughout the film. No one seems to really stand out, and I think that's sad.

If it's lots of explosions, guns, and action that you are looking for; then this film is for you. You won't be disappointed. However, if you are looking for something that actually has a storyline and a bit of substance to it, don't bother. Leave it on the shelf and look for something else.

2012 NG Magic Moments Grid Calendar
2012 NG Magic Moments Grid Calendar
by teNeues
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of A Kind!, 5 Jan 2012
Quite possibly THE most attractive calendar, I have seen this year. A beautiful selection of photographs from around the world (although, mostly the US); full of colour, movement, and in the most inspirational locations. Congratulations NG! You've produced an absolute gem!

Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake Mix 461g (16.25oz) pack of 1
Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake Mix 461g (16.25oz) pack of 1
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, 5 Jan 2012
My boyfriend and I purchased some boxes of this, so we could make rainbow cakes. Neither of us, or our families, were disappointed with the outcome. The cake was moist and absolutely delicious! It also rose really well, and was simple to make. Would highly recommend to anyone...especially if you were looking to make rainbow cakes!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage, 5 Jan 2012
I bought these cards for Postcrossing, and was attracted by the vintage style of them. They have lovely tones of colour, and the cards themselves are well made and have a matte effect to them, which makes a change from the normal glossy postcards you can buy in shops.

There are some lovely designs included; everything from photography, through to digital collages, so there is lots of variety included in this pack of 10. I'm sure you can find something for everyone!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 5 Jan 2012
"Beautiful" is literally the only word that can sum up this collection of postcards. You get a couple of each design, which is also very handy, and they are perfect to use for Postcrossing, or just as little expressions of love for your friends and family. They also come in a pretty display tin, which you could use for other things, once your postcards are gone. Great value item, and I'm really impressed =)

Rex Ray Postcard Book
Rex Ray Postcard Book
by Rex Ray
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars New Fan!, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: Rex Ray Postcard Book (Cards)
I bought these postcards for Postcrossing, as I wanted something other than just location postcards to send people. I was massively impressed by the variety in this book - there is something for everyone!

I'd never heard of Rex Ray before, but I can say, even from this small collection of this work, that I am hugely impressed and a new fan!

Loads of colour, fun, and shapes can be found in this postcard book. And you get 30 postcards in total, which is excellent value for the price you pay!

Definitely recommended!

Taken (Extended Harder Cut) [DVD] [2008]
Taken (Extended Harder Cut) [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson
Price: 2.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 22 Mar 2011
If you're after a fast paced, action filled, man film then this is for you. Lots of fights, shooting, and beating each other up. Don't get me wrong; the acting is very good...this is no Jason Statham movie! But something lacked in TAKEN for me.

The storyline is interesting; a young girl going travelling in Europe with a friend, gets kidnapped and thrown into a circle of drugs and prostitution. Her father hears her kidnapping on the phone, and sets off to get her back.

Perhaps I would have liked to have seen more of what happened to his daughter, rather than watch Liam Neeson running around like a loon for a couple of hours. Once his daughter has been taken, there is no revisit to her situation, and this annoyed me.

However, not a bad film; I just would go mad over it.

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (Special Edition) [DVD] [2000]
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (Special Edition) [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Jeffrey Donovan
Price: 5.81

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star Too Many, 22 Mar 2011
When I first saw Blair Witch 2, I genuinely thought it was a spoof. You've got your classic modern horror movie stereotypes; the goth, the jock, the cheerleader, the weirdo, the geek...it's all there like a lot of the other highly predictable "horror" films produced in the 1990's - 2000's. Like a lot of those films, this doesn't pull it off. There is no tension, a bizarre, wavering storyline that doesn't seem to settle down to anything, and a lot of farfetched and stupid scenes. Not even close to how good Blair Witch 1 is...like I said in my title; one star is too generous for this abomination.

The Blair Witch Project [DVD] [1999]
The Blair Witch Project [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Heather Donahue
Offered by Bridge_Records
Price: 2.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Mar 2011
A lot of people have mixed opinions on The Blair Witch Project, and I'm going to support it. I think it's a really good film; interesting and well paced. Bearing in mind that it was the first of this type of genre, I think it's fantastic, and it has since inspired a lot of other films. Ok, not something I will watch over and over again, but it's there in my DVD collection for when I'm in the mood for something that doesn't need loads of concentration, but can still be enjoyed. If you're in two minds about buying it, I say go for it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9