Profile for Phyl Mell > Reviews

Content by Phyl Mell

Phyl Mell (UK)

An Unholy Communion (The Monastery Murders)
An Unholy Communion (The Monastery Murders)

5.0 out of 5 stars I am pleased to have found a new series to read., 12 Mar 2014
I have been pleased to discover a new author. I have enjoyed the settings, this one in the north of England and the religious back story to the investigations. I am also enjoying that these are set in the present, although all have links to the past and historical events.

Masters of Sex: The Life and Times of William Masters and Virginia Johnson, the Couple Who Taught America How to Love

4.0 out of 5 stars The story behind the mini-series, 17 Jan 2014
I was first introduced to the work of Masters and Johnson whilst studying for my degree a long time ago. I watched the mini-series and wanted to know more about the real life Masters and Johnson. This book provides a good insight into their lives, and details the complex relationship between the two main characters and also how they had to deal with societies' standards. They did massively contribute to the "sexual revolution" in the 60s and 70s.

Karabar Super Lightweight Cabin Approved Luggage Bag 55 x 35 x 20 cm, 40 Litres, 1.5 kg, 3 Years Warranty! (Daisy Pink)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight cabin luggage, 9 Jan 2014
Item exactly as described and it arrived extremely quickly. Very good value and, as it states, very light which is vital for my travel needs.

A Small Person Far Away
A Small Person Far Away

5.0 out of 5 stars Judith Kerr, 25 Dec 2013
I saw a programme about Judith Kerr on the TV and was fascinated. I then bought all 3 of her books. They were all so interesting about the life she led before, during and, in this book, after the war. They might be regarded as written for children but I found them fascinating.

Gruffalo Socks - Boxed Set 10 Odd Socks UK size 9-12 (4-6 yrs)
Gruffalo Socks - Boxed Set 10 Odd Socks UK size 9-12 (4-6 yrs)

5.0 out of 5 stars My grandchildren love these socks., 11 Sep 2013
The box arrived on time and my twin granddaughters love the socks. I had bought a box at an agricultural show and somehow managed to lose the box so was delighted they were available to order on Amazon! I had told my grandchildren I had the socks so I had to deliver them.

Closest Companion: The Unknown Story of the Intimate Friendship Between Franklin Roosevelt and Margaret Suckley
by Geoffrey C. Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into the private life of Franklin Roosevelt, 13 May 2013
I went to see the film, Hyde Park on the Hudson, not knowing what it was about and found out it was partly about the visit of King Edward VIII and Queen Elizabeth to America before the Second World War. It was based on the story of the relationship between Franklin Roosevelt and Margaret Suckley, as revealed in her diaries discovered after her death. This made me want to read the actual book, which consists of extracts from her diaries and letters between herself and Franklin. The book is fascinating, revealing details about Franklin's life in Washington and at home. It is amazing how Franklin could juggle the demands of the presidency with a private life away from the spotlight - so different from today, exemplified by the fact he was always photographed in public without his wheelchair, and that the only two photographs of him in it were taken by Margaret.