Profile for jannert > Reviews

Content by jannert

jannert "jannert" (Hamilton Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
iPod USB 3 Pin Mains Charger - iPod Shuffle
iPod USB 3 Pin Mains Charger - iPod Shuffle
Offered by Gadgetsonline

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, works great!, 21 Oct 2014
Does the trick. It not only charges my iPod Shuffles, but also powered the portable speakers as well. I see some people have had trouble with it 'exploding' etc, but I certainly haven't, and I've used it several times now. It charged my new iPod Shuffle from zero to full charge in about 2.5 hours. Very pleased with this, as it does away with the need to keep stuff plugged into my computer for charging, and can easily be taken elsewhere, if need be.

BIRUGEAR Durable Eva Carrying Case - Green + Blue Neck Strap Lanyard for Apple iPod Nano 8GB 16GB (6th Generation) 6 6G & iPod shuffle 2GB (4th Generation), SanDisk Sansa Clip+ Clip Plus, Sansa Clip Sport, Clip Zip
Offered by BlueMall

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the iPod Shuffle and accessories, 21 Oct 2014
Excellent case. I bought two, because I have two iPod Shuffles with different kinds of music on them.

This case can be colour-coordinated with your Shuffle if that's what you want.

There is plenty of room inside to carry a Shuffle, the connecting USB charging cable in a separate compartment from the earbuds AND earbudi clips. So basically everything you need can be carried in this case, which weighs next to nothing. I'm not familiar with the size of the other iPods, but this easily carries two Shuffles, if you want.

The case is stiff, which offers excellent protection against dropping and a certain amount of crushing.

The only thing that would improve it is to have a ring or clip attached to it could be clipped securely onto a bag, or whatever. However, I simply threaded a keyring through one of the zipper heads, which answers the need perfectly.

Green EARBUDi Clips on and off Your original Apple iPod or iPhone Earbuds - and Turns Them Into Running Headphones. Soft Over-The-Ear Design with Earbud Tilt & Rotation - Provide a Custom Comfortable Fit. EARBUDi's Simply Hold Your Apple Earbuds in Place for Any Activity From Gardening to Running.
Offered by GOBUDi

5.0 out of 5 stars They are comfortable, and because the earbuds rotate, 21 Oct 2014
Yes. This is exactly what I was looking for. They fit the iPhone/iPod/Shuffle earbuds perfectly. While I can't vouch for their sturdyness if you keep clipping and unclipping them from the earbuds, I don't see any reason you'd need to. I have bought a wee case to carry my Shuffle, and these fit inside perfectly well, along with the earbuds, the shuffle and the charging USB cable. They are comfortable, and because the earbuds rotate, you can get the exact positioning you want. Furthermore they don't slip around while on the ear. Mind you, I'm not a jogger, so I don't know how they would perform in those situations, but just for walking around, they are perfect. I've just ordered a second pair to keep with my OTHER iPod.

Invero White Universal Portable Folding Speaker for Apple iPod Shuffle (All Versions)
Offered by Invero

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for what it is ...an inexpensive portable set of speakers for iPods, etc, 16 Oct 2014
The device folds into a 4"x 3.5" x 2.5" space, and is quite lightweight without batteries. Weight is about 230g or just over 8oz. However, if you had to carry a USB/mains plug along as well, this would add to the bulk and weight. Batteries would add a great deal to the weight, but not to the bulk.

I have a USB plug, and was able to attach it to the mains, no bother. I have not tried powering it any other way. It seems to work fine, for what it is. Sound is okay—not stunning, but okay.

The little shelf that holds the iPad has to be detached from one side and re-inserted on the other, and it feels very flimsy. I suspect this part of the device won't last, unless it's kept unfolded. This part of the device is devilish fiddly to set up.

There is a total lack of any printed instructions. None. Zip. It's a matter of figuring it out for yourself. Which is fine, but I would hate to be doing the wrong thing. Time will tell.

Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)
Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars May be Abercrombie's best single novel yet, 27 Sep 2014
Wow. Joe Abercrombie has been one of my favourite authors ever since "The Blade Itself" appeared on my radar, but "Half a King" surpasses my highest expectations. I downloaded it to my Kindle very early this morning, and have just finished reading it. Yep. One day. I literally could not put it down. I've missed breakfast AND lunch...!

This book has everything I love about good fantasy. I don't wish to give away any aspects of the plot, but as usual, the Abercrombie twists keep coming. His hero is physically flawed, and does not always cover himself in glory, but is totally likeable from the very start. The secondary characters are individual, non-stereotypical, and some of them hide secrets that will make your jaw drop when they are revealed.

Abercrombie is a master at keeping the reader in the dark, while, at the same time, revealing everything ...if only we could see it before it bangs us in the face. (I swear you will NOT see the major one coming in this book.) Abercrombie is very good at making us think the wrong thing, which, for a storyteller, is a delightful talent to possess. Yet he also has the ability to make all his twists and turns believable. Abercrombie doesn't make impossible things happen to his characters. Instead, he makes us believe that the possible is what usually occurs. That may sound mundane, but getting to that point in this story is anything but.

Although this could be seen as a coming-of-age story--the protagonist is a young man who is about to take his place in the world--it is definitely not aimed at a strictly YA audience. Young people can read and love it, of course, just as they can read anything. But adults will not only enjoy this to the hilt, but perhaps it takes adult eyes to recognise the wisdom that lurks behind the relatively simple story.

I just can't find a single flaw in this book. What is better ...there will apparently be more of them. This is one I will definitely re-read, though.

The Darcys of Pemberley: The Continuing Story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (The Darcys of Pemberley  Book 1)
The Darcys of Pemberley: The Continuing Story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (The Darcys of Pemberley Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining read, if you want to experience 'what happened next', 12 Aug 2014
I read the Kindle version of this book yesterday. Yes, all in one day, very easily. It was enjoyable. I have read most of Austen's work, and certainly am a fan of the BBC (Colin Firth, Jennifer Ehle) version of the story. So nothing here needed to be explained.

Like others, I found the climactic kidnapping scene a bit hard to believe, but it didn't ruin the good read. I enjoyed spending more time with these characters, and was not overly bothered by the rather coy sexual references (I think the author did a good job of letting us know that, hey, these are married couples and they DO have sex, without going overboard to either revel in or disguise the fact.)

I guess what is missing for me is something no modern author can actually reproduce. That is the sense of time, place AND the knowledge that comes from exactly how these people would behave, and what social pressures they would have been under. I don't think it's possible for a writer in our day to capture that delicious sense of satire that Austen delivered so well.

However, all that being said, I think this book stayed true to most of the characters (Wickham excepted) that we've become fond of. And it certainly kept me entertained for an afternoon and evening. So, if you like Austen, I'd recommend it. But it's NOT Austen, so just look at it as somebody's vision of 'what happened next.' Somebody who attempted to stay true to Austen's tone as well as character, and to a large extent succeeded. As such, it works very well.

Grunwerg Cafe Ole Italian Style Espresso Coffee Maker 9 Cup 360ml - SSICM-09
Grunwerg Cafe Ole Italian Style Espresso Coffee Maker 9 Cup 360ml - SSICM-09
Offered by Emporium Cookshop & Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money, 24 July 2014
I just bought this pot a week ago, and am very pleased thus far. I will upgrade my review to a 5-star after I've had it a while and seen how it holds up long-term--and once I know I can find replacements for the silicone gasket inside. (Just did this ...see my comments below.) It's been my experience with stovetop espresso pots that these gaskets need replacement fairly often, and without them, the pot is useless. So...until then ...a 4-star review from me...

I think this stainless steel pot is extremely good value for the money. Okay, so it's a thinner construction than more expensive stainless steel pots made by other companies, but it's not what I would call flimsy. In fact, it seems very well designed.

Even when the top is full of coffee the whole thing is well-balanced and easy to hold. The flat bottom is wider than the top, which makes it very well balanced. Unlike some other espresso stovetop models, it would be difficult to tip this one over by accident.

Because it's stainless steel (I believe throughout) it doesn't flavour the coffee in any way. Furthermore, when it's screwed together reasonably firmly, there is NO leakage out of the bottom section when the pressure is on. And to make it even nicer, the spout is shaped so that it's very easy to pour into a small cup without any spillage.

The slip-proof handle remains cool to the touch, as does the knob on the top. It feels sturdy and is attached firmly.

My only slight niggle is the silicone gasket ring. It's good in that it doesn't flavour the coffee like the rubber ones sometimes did, but it's also very slippy, and doesn't hold the flat upper filter in place quite as well as a rubber one would. You need to be very careful before you screw the top and bottom together, that it hasn't slipped out of place. However, I think that's more a feature of silicone than it is of this particular pot, and so far, I've had no real problems with it. The flavour trade-off is worth taking extra care before assembling the pot.

Using the smallest head on my gas hob, this 9-cup pot takes about 4-5 minutes to brew the coffee, going from a cold water start. That's fast.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 12:21 PM BST

Birkenstock Arizona 51061 Normal Width Unisex Clogs, Blue, EU 38
Birkenstock Arizona 51061 Normal Width Unisex Clogs, Blue, EU 38

5.0 out of 5 stars love the soft footbed, 15 July 2014
I have worn Birkenstocks for years. Usually I buy lightweight models with ankle straps that keep them on my feet while walking, such as non-leather Rios, but I did own one pair of leather slip-on Arizonas (bought in Glasgow back in the very early 90s.) When that pair finally wore out this spring, after mostly indoor use, I decided to try the new 'soft footbed' model.

Wow! What a difference. These are the non-leather version which I'm already used to, but the big difference is this wonderful soft footbed. What a difference. It's not too squishy to give the usual Birkenstock support, but that 'hard' feeling that some people dislike in Birkenstocks is completely gone. This is the innovation Birkenstocks have been needing. These are well-crafted, fit perfectly, built to a high standard. I am totally pleased, enough to have ordered a second pair as a gift.

I can hardly wait for this soft footbed to be introduced across the Birkenstock range.

Anna.K Tarot
Anna.K Tarot
by Anna. K
Edition: Cards

4.0 out of 5 stars Really exciting deck, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Anna.K Tarot (Cards)
This is the first deck of Tarot cards I've bought in a while that really got me excited. While the pictures (for the most part) are Waite-inspired, they are not in any way copies of the Waite designs. Facial expressions and details on each card are fabulous. If the card is about an angry person or a fearful one or a happy one, these emotions show in the characters' faces. This is the kind of deck you could probably interpret even if you had never done a Tarot reading in your life.

I have a few slight issues, hence the 4-stars. The booklet is interesting, and has some good insights into layouts, and she explains her own view of the cards quite well—but she completely dismisses and ignores reversed meanings. She's one of those readers who turns all the cards right-side up when she reads. If you're the sort of reader who appreciates the nuances of a reversed meaning, you'll need to make them up yourself. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a niggle.

Another niggle ...for some reason she has swapped the position of Strength and Justice. Justice now is card VIII, while Strength (Force) is card XI. This won't matter if you're new to this and this is your first deck, but if you're an experienced reader, this will be weird. I wouldn't mind if she'd explained why she did it, but she never mentioned the swap, at least not in the booklet.

I also have an issue with one of the cards. It's the Chariot. The picture is of a man taking off into the sky, on the start of an inspirational journey. The normal meaning of the Chariot is exactly the opposite, really. It has to do with the kind of vehicle or method a person chooses to make their way in the world. It's normally a very 'grounded' card, but because her card design is so definitely an airbourne fellow heading towards the sun, it's difficult to do a normal interpretation of it.

However, these objections are either personal or just niggles. In general, this is an excellent and exciting deck. I highly recommend it. It's definitely not just a rehash of Waite, but brings much more insight and humanity to the readings. I'd have given 5 stars if she'd included reversed meanings in the booklet and hadn't swapped Justice and Strength.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 8:09 PM BST

Longbourn
Longbourn

4.0 out of 5 stars To my surprise, I really enjoyed this, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Kindle Edition)
While this book isn't perfect ...occasionally lacks depth of character and the ending and some plot points seem slightly contrived ...I found it made me think long and hard about aspects of Pride and Prejudice that I'd not really considered before.

Normally I shun books that are spinoffs of other books. They nearly always prove disappointing. However, it's always fun to get a different perspective on old favourites, and this book offers one.

Not only is Longbourn a fairly realistic tale of what servants' lives at that time must have been like, but it's an interesting look at the Bennett family from another point of view. The events below stairs follow the timeline of the original Pride and Prejudice closely, and it's fun to watch the story we already know unfolding through different eyes. I think this author has made an effort to present the Bennett family in a different light altogether. In fact, some of the less likeable characters from the book and film adaptations come across as likeable here - and vice versa.

Some of the negative reviews seem to center around how different this book is from Pride and Prejudice, lacking Austen's wittiness and the lighthearted style she employed. That's true, so if you're looking for Extended Austen, don't buy this book. However, I feel it has expanded my horizons and understanding of social history. It kept my attention all the way through, and I feel like I know more about the period than I did when I started. I do think the likes of Downton Abbey paint too rosy a picture of life below stairs. I've read others that seem to paint a very black picture of the same sort of existence. I think Longbourn hits the middle of the grey area pretty well, and it certainly left me with a lot to think about.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10