ARRAY(0xa852a198)

Profile for Trudy Bradburne > Reviews

Content by Trudy Bradburne

Trudy Bradburne "(real name)" (Halifax, West Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Rich Are Different
The Rich Are Different
Price: 4.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 9 April 2014
I read this book many years ago but I remember enjoying it thoroughly. I had long forgotten the story so bought it on kindle. I literally could not stop reading it. Susan Howatch is a brilliant author, I so wish she was still writing today, but I understand she is now semi-retired. Still, her legacy of work is outstanding.

I recently bought Penmarric and Cashelmara in second hand shops, having read those two books when they were first published. They were just as good as I remembered. I honestly could read them over again, just for the pleasure of reading such beautiful and literate writing. I have read and enjoyed every single one of her books and The Rich Are Different is up there with the best of them.

Lakeland Washing Line Clothes Hanger Hook Ups x 12
Lakeland Washing Line Clothes Hanger Hook Ups x 12
Offered by Lakeland
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious, 9 April 2014
To my knowledge, these nifty clothes line hook ups are unavailable from anywhere other than Lakeland. If they are, I have certainly never seen them. They are great for hanging clothes you don't need to iron and you don't get those peg marks that have to be ironed out. They fasten on to the line very securely. If the clothes blow off the coat hanger, the hook ups will definitely still be firmly attached to the line! A very handy product, wouldn't be without them.

The Real Diana
The Real Diana
Price: 4.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Real Diana (Kindle Edition)
I read this book very quickly as I couldn't put it down. It certainly has the ring of truth all through it and although the author points out Diana's deficiencies in her character, it's not a character assassination by any means. Diana comes across as flawed (as are we all) and the tone of the book remains fairly affectionate.

I for one was never convinced by "Saint" Diana. When I read Andrew Morton's book it had the opposite effect on me than it was meant to. I felt extremely sorry for Prince Charles and thought that Diana sounded murder to live with. However, one couldn't help but like her and that seems to be the essence of this book. Diana was a very flawed personality but a likable one nevertheless.

The account of the fatal car crash is extensive and lucid. It is summed up as just an accident (conspiracy theories investigated and denounced), possibly caused in part by the air bag going off in the driver's face seconds before the crash. I hadn't heard that before and it certainly sounds plausible. And the big if only. If only Diana had been wearing a seat belt.

A very enjoyable read.

Hairyworm-Elvis iphone 4 leather side flip wallet case cover for apple iphone 4 and 4s phone
Offered by HairyWorm
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis iphone wallet case, 15 Feb 2014
This fits the iphone 4 to perfection and gives very good protection to the surface of the phone.

I did have a very nice hard case to cover the back of the phone from Hairyworm, which worked fine but I just got fed up with the clear plastic cover (the one that comes with the phone and is nothing to do with the Hairywork product) which starts to get creased and looks scruffy after a while. Besides, no-one could see the Elvis picture on the back!

So I decided to invest in a leather case which holds the phone and has an equally nice picture on the front. It's lightweight, looks neat and protects the phone and the screen completely. The phone still works perfectly while encased in the leather wallet.

A winner all round!

The King and I - How Elvis Shaped My Life (Kindle Single)
The King and I - How Elvis Shaped My Life (Kindle Single)
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written essay, 30 Dec 2013
I found this essay interesting because I have occasionally wondered what Elvis means to those fans born after his initial impact and those born after his death. It was easy for me – I was 9 years old in 1956 and got to witness the entire phenomenon first hand.
It’s well written – the author is articulate and well educated but he keeps things straightforward, without resorting to any flowery prose.

Harry doesn’t seem to really want to be a fan and I can appreciate that. It’s not something you switch on, it just happens. I’m by no means obsessive (never been to Graceland for a start) but I’ve been a fan and I am a fan and if you are talking to someone who is not and never would be a fan of someone then they are going to think you are odd. He spends a lot of time trying to convince us that he’s normal. Of course, if you are a fan then you won't need it pointing out and if you are not a fan type person then you will never be convinced.

An illuminating thing happened to me once. I was in a car with three friends going down to an Elvis convention in the good old days when Elvis was still with us. We stopped at traffic lights and a coach pulled up beside us. Elvis stickers were all over the windows, they were clearly going to the same destination. I pointed out the bus to my friends and we were all delighted. However, the faces on the bus immediately closed down and got that defensive look. We were mocking them, they were used to it. I put an Elvis book up against the car window and the faces all started smiling. We then spent the next 30 seconds or so before the lights changed waving at one another. It was ok - we were all in the same gang!

The psychology of the phenomenon of "fandom" is highlighted well here, complete with all its joys, embarrassments and the ultimate sadness of looking at the grave of a hugely talented man who died at only 42 years old.

Is Elvis relevant today? Elvis as an image is hugely famous but the focus has shifted from him as a singer or even as a human being. It’s difficult for him to be relevant – he has now been gone for over 36 years. However, I may be wrong but I’m of the opinion that there are people not yet born who will one day pick up a CD, hear a song on the radio or maybe catch a documentary and start to be enchanted by that beautiful voice.

Of course, they may not react like I did when I was 11 and I first heard “I Want You, I Need You, I Love You”. Rolling around the bed, squealing with sheer delight when I heard what was coming out of my old record player might have been a bit over the top, but then I had been “got” by Elvis too!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2014 4:28 PM GMT

Michael Ball: Both Sides Now - Live Tour 2013 [DVD]
Michael Ball: Both Sides Now - Live Tour 2013 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Ball
Price: 13.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillianat as always, 9 Dec 2013
I've got all of Michael Ball's performance DVDs and this is as good as any of them. I saw the show in Blackpool earlier this year and this DVD is a great reminder of a fabulous night. Michael is one of the UK's best performers with an unmatchable voice, a wonderful personality and a classy stage presence. You can't go wrong if you want to give this DVD as a Christmas gift to any Michael Ball fan.

Harry / Silent Mother Nature
Harry / Silent Mother Nature
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Two of my favourite albums, 20 Sep 2013
Catherine Howe made two of my favourite albums of all time, namely Silent Mother Nature and Harry. Catherine is from my home town of Halifax so I heard about her at the time, bought her albums in the 70s and loved them. Great to see them here and I've downloaded them on to my MP3 player to enjoy all over again.

Hairyworm-Elvis i phone 4 4s hard back case cover for apple iphone
Hairyworm-Elvis i phone 4 4s hard back case cover for apple iphone
Offered by HairyWorm
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 20 Sep 2013
A very nice quality hard back case that fits round my iPhone 4 like a glove. Really easy to fit on, then when it clicks in, feels solid and secure. Lovely picture on the back. I didn't know which one to choose but am delighted with this one, it's really nice and clear.

If you are an Elvis fan then this is something a bit different to protect your iPhone with.

Good service too, the cover arrived by return of post.

Ripley Under Ground
Ripley Under Ground
by Patricia Highsmith
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Not QUITE as good as the first one ..., 31 May 2013
This review is from: Ripley Under Ground (Paperback)
Having just read The Talented Mr Ripley, which I couldn't put down, I picked this one up immediately. It's still a really good read though not too logical in parts. I felt mentally exhausted following Bernard round and round, and why would you follow someone to all sorts of quiet places when they have just tried to murder you? Still, I suppose that is part of Ripley's character - he's a sociopath, doesn't really like killing someone until he has to! So, unlike you and me, he is fairly relaxed about someone who has just tried to bury him alive! I read this book in one day so, even though I have only given it four stars, that is to reflect that The Talented Mr Ripley gets five.

I'm now reading Ripley's Game. Whatever else, the stories of Mr Ripley are really quite fascinating and I intend to read them all.

The Door Marked Summer
The Door Marked Summer
by Michael Bentine

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating life story, 31 May 2013
This review is from: The Door Marked Summer (Hardcover)
I read this book many years ago and it made a big impression on me at the time. I wanted to re-read it and still enjoyed the book, though perhaps not quite as much as before. I like the spiritual side of Michael Bentine's nature and that's what I wanted to re-visit. There was a little too much emphasis on mediums and psychic exercies etc., but of course there would be as Michael's family were fully involved and held mediumship sessions in their front room!

It certainly gives you another side to a "zany comedian" and remains a very interesting read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7