Profile for JF Horton > Reviews

The Usual Suspects [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Stephen Baldwin
Price: 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant film making, 17 Sep 2014
This is a superb film and to mention a twist at the and is to almost give the game away. Kevin Spacey is always superb with his characteristic languid delivery and effortless acting - rather like Jack Nicholson. The film is very well crafted, the plot superb and the intricases of the of the events that lead up to the climax creative and imaginative. A marvellous film.

The Best Of UB40, Volumes 1 & 2 [2CD]
The Best Of UB40, Volumes 1 & 2 [2CD]
Price: 7.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Enduring quality, 17 Sep 2014
I really enjoy UB40's gently lilting reggae. I certainly owned this on vinyl when i was younger and wondered whether I would still enjoy the music. I certainly do. The albums sound just as good now as when they first came out.

12 x 5
12 x 5
Price: 7.05

4.0 out of 5 stars I may be mistaken but why not the original version?, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: 12 x 5 (Audio CD)
Like others who, apparently, have tried to purchase The Rolling Stones's second album on CD, I had no success. This, it seems, is an American compilation which does not necessarily contain the same song listing. I am sure that the original was not called 12x5 but, like the first album, was simply called "The Rolling Stones" or possibly "The Rolling Stones 2". I think that the situation should be rectified and Amazon are in a unique position to do it. Produce the original album. I have always liked the group but I am not uncritical. Throughout their existence they have produced some dreadful material which exists on all of their albums so my view of this one is a qualified enjoyable.

The Best of Chuck Berry
The Best of Chuck Berry
Price: 5.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb guitar soind, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Best of Chuck Berry (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed Chuck Berry for many years in my youth and owned the "Best of" vinyl album with an image of a cherry red convertible car on the cover complete with gleaming chrome work. Unfortunately there was not a CD with the same cover image on Amazon. I find that, although most of the tracks are undiminished, the music has dated somewhat. It is still excellent but not as appealing as it used to be. The version of "Carol" on this, and presumably other recordings is unsurpassable. i have always hated "My Dingaling" and there are some second-rate tracks on the album.

Private Dancer
Private Dancer
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, perhaps, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Private Dancer (Audio CD)
I owned this album on vinyl some years ago and thought it to be excellent. Having listened to the CD once or twice, I wondered whether Tina Turner' music had dated somewhat. However, shortly afterwards I played it again and found that it had "grown on me" and my enjoyment is as before. My favourite track is now the excellent, "Be Good to Me".

The Joshua Tree
The Joshua Tree
Offered by filmrollen
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pseudo-politics, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Joshua Tree (Audio CD)
When I was much younger U2's music was very much in keeping with my mentality. Now, however, I find them to be far too intense and highly pretentious although the album does contain some very good tracks. They professed to speak for all of the fashionable cause, notably Nelson Mandella and black South Africa whilst hardly living the lifestyle of genuinely concerned people, Bono might have been the main protagonist. So, whilst their sound and musicianship is excellent, the album in general is marred by the aforesaid intensity.

21 Singles
21 Singles
Price: 7.89

4.0 out of 5 stars 18 out of 21, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: 21 Singles (Audio CD)
I am now sixty-eight years old and, apart from hearing of the Jesus and Mary Chain, I their existence passed me by at the time. The first three tracks of the album are complete nonsense. They are played through an accompaniment of white noise and are totally formless. This is typical of the kind of indulgent pretentiousness that young groups produce from time to time. However, the other eighteen tracks are excellent and typical of the driving pop music that I enjoy. Basically it is typical, old rock and roll and jive.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Price: 5.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Wilson Pickett disappoints, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The album begins with some good tracks, but then descends into lesser known ones and poor covers. The much vaunted hits have, in my opinion, been covered with far superior versions by other artists. The better songs have probably dated

Quentin Tarantino [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Quentin Tarantino [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Quentin Tarantino
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 8.92

3.0 out of 5 stars The trouble with "Pulp Fiction", 4 Aug 2014
Quentin Tarantino's films are, of course, controversial because of the anarchic violence contained within them. "Reservoir Dogs" is easily bearable, and the violence in "Jackie Brown" is infrequent and considerably less gruesome. "Pulp Fiction", on the other hand, contains one appalling section which depicts violent sadism. I threw the film away.

The American (Ldp Litterature)
The American (Ldp Litterature)
by Martin Booth
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 6.97

1.0 out of 5 stars In French!, 7 Jun 2014
Since the original order I have received and returned two copies of the book in French! Upon the second return I have been informed that no attempt at replecement will be made and that the cost will be refunded.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4