ARRAY(0xab5fe57c)

In the Heart of the Moon
In the Heart of the Moon
Price: 11.07

5.0 out of 5 stars magic, 11 Sep 2005
Imagine the scene: lunchtime in a small kitchen, kids moaning (when not shouting and screaming), mum rapidly losing patience... and then I put THIS on the CD player. The idea was really to calm myself down, but the effect on the whole family was almost unnerving. I don't know which track came on first (possibly the gentle Hawa Dolo)but the kitchen which just half a second ago had been chaotic, suddenly fell perfectly silent. And stayed so. The 5-year olds were mesmerized, as was the put-upon mum, as, indeed, was I. What did it? Possibly the sheer complexity of the music - or possibly its clarity; no doubt its authority - this, after all, is authoritative music; but most probably something else, some added value which it would be ridiculous to attempt to describe. Ali Farka Touré and Toumani Diabaté have gone beyond mere fine musicianship on this album: they are performing magic.

The Box Set 1964-2004
The Box Set 1964-2004

5.0 out of 5 stars A bewitching collection of songs, 17 Mar 2005
This review is from: The Box Set 1964-2004 (Audio CD)
I thought this would never happen to me again - not at my age, not after having encountered the likes of Dylan and France's George Brassens. Yet here I am once more - bewitched. Christy Moore's voice and guitar playing merge to form a beautiful whole which is made up of many many precious things: there's History here, and Legend, and Ireland of course, and Anger, and Laughter, and Empathy, and Joie de Vivre, and oodles of Wisdom, and Love, and Poetry, and ... All this in a single black box. Christy is now in my Desert Island collection - and believe me, it is VERY select club! I recently read an excellent book whose blurb promised that I would soon be feeling homesick for a place I had never visited - well, I now feel homesick for Ireland, and the Wicklow Hills, although I have never set foot anywhere near them. I am bewitched.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2013 4:01 PM GMT