Profile for Candyfloss > Reviews

Australia
Australia
by Franchesca Cubillo

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Dust, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Australia (Hardcover)
I agree with both previous reviews about the actual exhibition and the catalogue. I would just add that having lived in Australia for a long time there is no way I would have travelled to Tasmania or Perth to view paintings and so I felt especially priveleged to visit the Australia wide exhibition at the RA. I would also have preferred to see less 'European' art and more Aboriginal works, particularly the older bark paintings. These would not perhaps travel well but could have been included in a video together with cave and rock paintings. If you missed the exhibition I urge you to get the catalogue.

The Garden of Evening Mists
The Garden of Evening Mists
by Tan Twan Eng

1.0 out of 5 stars A joke? Seriously the Man Booker short list?, 6 Jan 2013
As a writer myself I have never felt moved to write a review of someone else's hard labour before but my disappointment, indeed disgust with this work says something of how strongly I feel. The book is pleasingly presented and starts out well with some beautifully crafted lines but rapidly descends into chaos. Maybe its a gender/generational/culture thing or maybe Mr Eng needs a new editor. The story is at best proposterous at worst offensive and why the affectations of untranslated words : lekker (Dutch) means delicious, great, nice, lovely. Engawa is a veranda.My father was a prisoner of war in Burma and I worked in the Japanese financial markets for years. I understand and have respect for both sides of the issues. Please Mr Eng do not trivalise either and pay attention to detail. In the beginning the sister dies of typhoid in the end she disappears.Please check 'smell/ed' on Thesaurus. You don't pack precious anything far less works of art in plastic in a hot/humid climate. The story chunders along rambling from one time frame to another only to splutter to a halt at the last. Please go back to the drawing board and hone your skills before attempting anything else.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2014 3:14 PM BST

Zen [DVD]
Zen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rufus Sewell

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a scruffy anorak in sight, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: Zen [DVD] (DVD)
I agree with another reviewer - a cut above the norm. Not a scruffy anorak in sight, no seedy housing estates, not a hint of the 'f' word, just elegant surroundings (yes I have been to Rome and I do know there is another seamier side) elegantly dressed people, even just passers by in the street. So refreshing. Great throw away lines, subtle humour, clever plots and Rufus et al casting brilliant. Hope there are many more in the BBC pipeline - get rid of all those dreadful reality shows and dismal soaps.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2011 2:52 PM GMT

Spanish Guitar Music
Spanish Guitar Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the Easy Jet flight just listen to this, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: Spanish Guitar Music (Audio CD)
Long time enthuisiast of Spanish flamengo and classical guitar this CD will take you effortless to hot dry visions of what Spain really has to offer AND the incredible virtuousity of John Williams. I bought this CD for my grandson who plays lead guitar in a rock band and writes his own music to extend and inspire his own repetiore but he was already there. Aged 16yrs and at the grunt stage he loved every track and every minute. This is a must have CD for every collect. Thoroughly recommended.