Profile for Blacknest > Reviews

Content by Blacknest

Blacknest

Page: 1 | 2
Duronic DM351X2 Single LCD LED Desk Mount Arm Monitor Stand Bracket with Adjustibility (Tilt ±15°|Swivel 180°|Rotate 360°)
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 May 2015
Very well-made product - sturdy and well finished. Does the job perfectly. I wish they did it in white, though!

Silent Scream: An edge of your seat serial killer thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly awful., 2 Mar. 2015
I agree with Lana J's review - the writing is atrocious and the characters are paper-thin. If you like well-written novels with carefully-thought-out plots, give this one a miss.

Wentronic 93955-GB 100m CAT6 Solid Cable Shielded - Grey
Wentronic 93955-GB 100m CAT6 Solid Cable Shielded - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, 5 Feb. 2015
This is the first time I've tried DIY ethernet, and it was pretty straightforward. The cable is very easy to work with, and the stripped wires behave really well when fitting the connectors - they all worked first time. It's on a good solid wooden reel which (mounted in a home-made cradle) made it simple to pull through on long runs.

Modular Plug Crimper, Stripping & Cutting Tool including 10 RJ45 Plugs & Punch Down Tool
Offered by CDL Micro

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient and excellent value, 5 Feb. 2015
This kit worked fine (together with 100m cat6 cable and MassG circuit tester) for cabling up my house. I needed more connectors though, with a network switch and patch cords as well. But fitting the connectors couldn't have been easier (there are a couple of good how-to vids on youtube) and both the yellow plastic sheath stripper and the crimper work well. Don't press hard with the stripper, or you'll cut into the wires' insulation - just turn the stripper once without applying any pressure to it. The cutter blade on the crimper is v. sharp - take care!

Really good value for money, and the crimper is really robust.

Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse: And Other Lessons from Modern Life
Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse: And Other Lessons from Modern Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, funny, thought-provoking, 6 Dec. 2014
Terrific! This is a selection of the best pieces taken from the last 5 years of David Mitchell's columns in the Observer. I've only known Mitchell through his appearances on TV shows, and I have to admit I think he's the wittiest man on television; in these articles he's free from the time and language constraints of the quizcom format, so he gets to chew over his subjects in depth. And boy, do some of them get chewed over - who else would dismiss Paxo as a 'high-rent newsreader' ? Great stuff.

Vogel's Thin 245 180 Degrees Turning Wall Mount for 26-42 inch LED/LCD/Plasma Televisions - Alpine White
Offered by Cosse GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 18 Oct. 2014
I agree with all the other reviewers - a superb piece of kit. It costs more than others, but it's so well-engineered, and the design is so neat, that it's worth it. It's rock-solid and holds my Samsung 40" at right angles to the wall effortlessly. A very minor quibble is that, although they supply a selection of bolts to fit different TVs, my particular model needed a longer bolt - but I happened to have some suitable bolts anyway. There's a contact page on their website for ordering parts, so I'm sure they would have sent me longer bolts if I'd asked for them.

STV148 - ULTRA POWER MOUSE TRAPS - TWINPACK
STV148 - ULTRA POWER MOUSE TRAPS - TWINPACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouse Trap Comparison, 7 Oct. 2014
When replacing some loft insulation recently, I found I had a mouse problem up there – lots of nests in the old insulation and buckets of mouse poo. I was worried that they would eat through electric cables, so after clearing it all out I bought six mousetraps (Rentokil Quick Set traps that I bought in Homebase), baited them with peanut butter, and laid them out in the loft.

The next morning I found that all the bait had been eaten from all the traps, but only one trap had actually sprung – and nothing was caught. So I got four more traps and set them in the loft as well, to do a comparison between them (the 6 Rentokil traps, two Big Cheese Quick Click traps, and two Big Cheese Ultra Power traps). They were all set in the same area, about 2 feet apart from each other.

First night:
6 Rentokil traps: 2 sprung, no mice caught. All bait eaten.
2 Big Cheese Quick Click: one sprung, no mice caught. Bait still there.
2 Big Cheese Ultra Power: both sprung, both caught (large!) mice.

Second night:
6 Rentokil traps: one sprung, no mice caught. Bait eaten from 3.
2 Big Cheese Quick Click: one sprung, no mice caught, bait still there.
2 Big Cheese Ultra Power: 1 sprung, 1 mouse caught.

Third night:
No activity. I’m hoping that’s the end of them in this loft. Will try the other lofts next!

So my conclusions are that the Rentokil traps are not sensitive enough. The BC Quick Clicks are either too sensitive, or the mice escape them easily. The BC Ultra Power seem to do the business – so I’ve bought 6 more. I’ll update in a couple of weeks.

The Enchanted April
The Enchanted April

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming..., 2 July 2014
Wonderful! I'd seen the 1992 film, and enjoyed it - but I enjoyed the book even more. Reviews describes the book as 'charming', and they're right!

Tono-Bungay
Tono-Bungay

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Tono-Bungay (Kindle Edition)
I read this book decades ago as a teenager, and I remember being moved by it at the time. Reading it again now, at the other end of my life, I found it even better than the first time. Wells has a gift for bringing the lives of ordinary people into sharp focus - a fine book by a great novelist.

A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After The Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After The Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sack the proofreader..., 2 July 2014
As expected, the book is excellent - but this Kindle edition hasn't been properly finished. Unlike previous Kindle editions in this series, there are no real page numbers, and the text is littered with spurious question marks. Come on, Harper, get your act together!

Page: 1 | 2