ARRAY(0xa3494edc)

Profile for Mr. H. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mr. H. Jones

Mr. H. Jones "mrbigcog2" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo Sport Plus LED Front Light
Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo Sport Plus LED Front Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 2 Oct 2013
First thing to say is the description is not exactly the product you receive, this is the Lumotec IQ Cyo N Plus. Not that I am complaining, it's a great product, but I only got lucky finding this on amazon, it never would have appeared on shopping searches on google. Another good thing is that the actual light I received is slightly better than the description, it is in fact 70 Lux. I have nothing to compare to but if that means its 15% brighter than the previous model then all to the good.

Now to the setup of the light. I have a winter road bike with caliper brakes so the first thing you need in that set up is a different bracket to attach to the bike. The bracket the light comes with is for Cantilver brakes. Search the internet and you will find a B&M bracket for caliper brakes, but even better for me was the SON bracket for attaching to handlebars which works perfectly well with this product. So the light position is much higher than otherwise would have been, which is good for me as my riding is on hedge lines roads, a higher light means more safety, more likely to be seen by oncoming traffic. I am running a Shimano Dynamo Hub on Exal TX19 rims with this. I taped up the connectors for the rear light, not needed for me, I have a battery powered cateye for that. Schoolboy error I taped the ends together doing that and short circuited things so nothing worked until I separated them with tape. Next up the main cable taped to brake cables and fork down to the connection, shortening the cable only a touch to fit. All up and running. The 19mm rims needed a wider tyre, 28mm gatorskins, then the wheel was good to go.

Performance. There is no noticable drag at all. The drag I believe I am getting on this now is the extra weight, the wheel is heavier than my regular wheel, the tyres and inner tube are heavier too, so I estimate my bike weight has increased by at least 600g maybe more. It's a winter bike and it's not all about speed in winter. I found my average speed dropped on my first ride out, from about 18 mph to 16.5 mph. I was happy with that expecting to be struggling to maintain 16 mph.
The light produces effectively two beams from the way it reflects inside the unit I guess? Immediately in front of you its a nice wide beam, illuminating the width of the road. Then as this falls away a longer square shaped beam projects out about 40+ ft in front. It's plenty bright enough to make traffic noticably reduce speed. It's also plenty bright enough to feel you can go the speed you want to, albeit as already mentioned you are going slower due to a heavier bike/wheel anyway. The standlight is fine, plenty of light for junctions but thats all its there for. I will be carrying a powerful head torch for if a puncture happens, the standlight is only good for about 4 minutes really. My first ride hit a rain shower, not really heavy but enough to know the light and contacts were completely untroubled by this.

Aesthetics: I am adding this because I was so pleasantly surprised to see how small the light is. Even though other reviewers have said the same you really don't appreciate it until you see it. The light itself is the one thing not adding any weight in my setup. It's so small and neat and you forget all about it.

Last thoughts: Take it for a little test ride round the block to get the height right, take a torch with you and the right allen key or spanner and adjust until you are happy. Then you are set to do a proper ride. If you are buying a new wheel with tht dynamo hub to go with this don't make my mistake and try to put the wrong tyre on. In the end I only lost a couple of days waiting for the right tyre to arrive in the post. There is good information on Sheldon Brown about the right tyre to go with the wheel you have for this.

Late Night Tales - At the Movies
Late Night Tales - At the Movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great mix, 21 Oct 2011
Most of the time latenighttales mixes work for me half the time. You love them or they leave you cold. I have and really enjoy both Groove Armada mixes, Cinematic Orchestra, Nightmares on Wax, Tommy Guerrerro, Jamiroquai, to name a few. This one holds up as well as those and goes down well with people who come round and you put it on. Some of the transitions between tracks is done so well, and the flow of where the tracks are in the mix is about right. I could take or leave one or two tracks, and for me the stand out part is up to and including Tubular Bells. This would be in my top 3 from this mix series, this one is slightly unusual as its not on general release and has no sleeve credit for the mixer. I believe there was a longer version available for download directly from latenighttales and this is cut down to fit on a CD.

Pocket Symphony
Pocket Symphony
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A long time coming, 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
I have not been very impressed with the offerings from Air since the fantastic Moon Safari. Talkie Walkie had some good moments and was listenable up to a point. However, nothing has been remotely close until now. Still far from the groundbreaking first album this is still very good and a breath of fresh air. Such a shame its taken all this time for a respectable follow up. Mind you many other acts from that time have done nothing decent for years, like Basement Jaxx, Groove Armada, Zero 7, so good to see an exception.

Late Night Tales: The Cinematic Orchestra
Late Night Tales: The Cinematic Orchestra

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 2 Sep 2010
Up there with the best of the Late Night Tales, a return to form if ever there was one. Such a well crafted mix, some really beautiful stuff on here and some real funky things too. I have about 10 of the late night series and would put this in my top 3 now. The first Groove Armada Late Night mix would be number 1, but thats an exceptional mix and hard to beat. Some real care has gone into this one. The final track where cinematic orchestra do their cover version is really stunning too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2010 9:32 PM GMT

Inov8 Roclite 295 Trail Running Shoes
Inov8 Roclite 295 Trail Running Shoes

4.0 out of 5 stars A pure off-road shoe, 11 Sep 2009
I like Inov8 shoes and the company seem to have a good understanding of the sort of shoes that are required for the British countryside. Lots of trail shoes on the market are glorified road shoes. Inov8 operate at the pure off road end. For this reason the first thing to say about the 295 and any other Inov8 is that they are not really suited for the road. The only time I run on the road in them is by necessity to reach the next off-road section. So in an 8.5 mile route I might have 1 mile in total on the road in small sections of 200-800 metres at a time. These shoes have medium cushioning, the Inov8 grading system of V's from 1 to 4, these are a 3. So ok cushioning but not plush. The outsole is nice and aggresive and of course one of the strong points of the shoe. This gives you confidence in muddy and tricky conditions. This model has the so called sticky outsole which is a marking sole that supposedly grips more but wears down quicker. Like most runners I size up by half a size in running shoes. These were no exception. A word of caution though. Inov8 will probably not suit people with wide feet. This model is fine for me as it has a wider toe box. But I have tried other models and they are too narrow for me. Any in the range with the foot emblem on the toe protector like these have are built along the same last that is wider in the toe box. In fact if anything the shoe is fractionally too long for me but I have got used to it now and suspect the shoes may have shrunk very slightly since I got them. This is another point with Inov8, I know of others who found that wetting and drying these every time you wear them does shrink the upper over time. So you need to be sure you have enough lee way for that to happen.

My summary would be that these are a great shoe for having confidence off road. For me they are not cushioned enough for daily use. So I keep them for a specific 8.5 miler I do that goes through very muddy and steep forests. The shoes help me keep upright in that run. I also use them if I am doing something off road I have never done before and want to be sure I don't have mishaps. So I used them on the coastal path in Devon, I did not want to slip and fall into the sea after all!

So be careful with sizing, be aware of the minimal cushioning, the slight shrinking,but if these fit for you then bring on the most rugged and muddy trails and these shoes will eat them up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2010 4:33 PM BST

Saucony Pro Grid Jazz WR Walking Shoes
Saucony Pro Grid Jazz WR Walking Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Walking, 26 Aug 2009
Contrary to the spec and naming of this shoe it is not just for walking. I checked with Saucony and it is in fact identical to the Progrid Jazz road shoe except for the upper which is mostly leather and therefore a little bit more rugged. I wanted a dry weather shoe for off-road running and opted for these as I got a good deal on them. I would not wear them in mud as they don't have off-road tread. But the leather upper is good for me especially when you accidentally catch your foot against something. They have been worn mostly on grassy fields but also rocky trail too. They are very light surprisingly and I really like the Saucony cushioning for those parts of the run where you need it, on the road. These are good to walk in too I am sure but if you like a shoe that encapsulates your foot more in running then these could be good for you. They fare ok in wet grass too, the leather obviously does get wet but the wet only comes in at the small wedge where your foot bends as that little part of the shoe is not leather. So in fact I'd say these get less wet and keep your feet more dry in wet grass than a standard mesh off-road shoe. For real nasty mud I have other shoes and for in between conditions I am looking to get some Saucony Xodus shoes also. But for dry off-road running or even just damp and not slippy ground these are fine too.

Brazilian Cooking: Exotic, Tropical Recipes from South America
Brazilian Cooking: Exotic, Tropical Recipes from South America
by Carla Barboza Pinto

4.0 out of 5 stars good flavour, 9 April 2009
I like this book and used it for several recipes when we decided to cook Brazilian for new year. All the recipes we did were great but I can't give this 5 stars as the recipe proportions were way off. For example the black bean and bacon soup would serve 1.5 people so times by 3 at least. The breaded chicken recipe left me with 5 times as much breadcrumb mix as I needed. So a bit of trial and error needed to get the proportions right. I'd still recommend the book, just trust your judegement more than the measurements.

Rocking Chair
Rocking Chair

5.0 out of 5 stars best bait, 9 April 2009
This review is from: Rocking Chair (MP3 Download)
I'm a mr scruff fan but only with tracks like this where he gets funky. Collaborations and Roots Manuva or anyone else. So for me this is the only good track on Bonus Bait but it is a cracking track.

WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Burtt
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Pixar's finest, 9 April 2009
From the outset this film shines. I've always been a Pixar fan, and their films that are below par are still streets ahead of the competition. This is something far and away outclassing the competition and themselves. As a father of two toddlers I am amazed how they sit there watching it with no dialogue at all for ages. But they are transfixed by it, as am I if I get a chance to stop what I am doing and watch a bit again.

For me there is so much that is good about this film but here's an attempt to list the points:

1. Great idea, great story
2. Attention to detail, technical excellence
3. Subtlety, it's what the competition don't do
4. Characters you warm to
5. Superb use of music, from the opening song, the soundtrack, to the occasional other interludes.
6. Sci-fi references. Never over the top but tipping a cap to the likes of Star Wars, 2001 et al.

And another thing, the extra short films are fantastic. "Presto" the short about a magician with a less than helpful rabbit is a massive favourite in my house. The toddlers laugh like drains every time they see it and even when they remember it later.

Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black
Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on (or off), 13 Feb 2009
First thing to say is this thing is huge. When the box arrived I was surprised. This means you get a really good powerful blow of air. Just what you need if a DSLR sensor has an annoying spec of dust. I had a spot appearing thankfully at the edge of pictures so they were salvagable by cropping. I bought this on recommndation and it worked a treat, got rod of the spot straight away. Now this will stay in the camera bag in case I needit again. Highly recommened product.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2011 10:49 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2