Profile for Kevin Mcclure > Reviews

Land of Cockayne
Land of Cockayne
Offered by HURRICANE RECORDS BERLIN_1

4.0 out of 5 stars Used to hate it now I love it, 8 Jan 2007
This review is from: Land of Cockayne (Audio CD)
When this first came out I went on about it because it wound someone I knew up no end that I had got a Soft machine record that he didn't have but I really thought that Karl jenkins had blanded the band out way too much. I was half hoping that this would be a stepping stone to a proper collective new Soft Machine release but it was not to be. I later grew to really hate this album and got rid of my vinyl copy.

In the new digital age when I am replacing and expanding my LP collection in CD format I decided I had a place for this along with the other later albums. I put it on and found that I actually quite liked it.

Once I got away from the fact that Jack Bruce was on there playing what for him is quite pedestrian bass and that others, such as Dick Morrisey are not really making their presence felt and just wen twithit as a piece of music then I reaaly dug it

Yes this could have been a much more exciting project if the various musicians had had more creative and some writig in-put but it was essentiallya Karl Jenkins project with some rather under used sidemen, but on it's own terms it is great!

There is so much of the more meaty jazz-infused Third - Seven eras stuff available and not just the original albums but also a whole range of live sessions from BBC,Radio Bremen etc that it seems quite un charitable to not find room for this as well.

Check it out it may not be hard edged jazz/rock and is certainly not avant garde but it is still really very good
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2010 1:54 PM BST

Middle Earth Masters
Middle Earth Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant even with fuzzy/inaudible vocals, 8 Jan 2007
This review is from: Middle Earth Masters (Audio CD)
Okay so the sound quality, particularly the audibility of the vocals on, We Know What YOu Mean, is a bit poor but this the mid-sixties. Also as has been mentioned in other reviews, many of these tracks have been released before but the over all package is a more rounded picture of the band at that time. This CD is well worth having and the sparse version of Clarence in Wonderland is a treat, even if you have the BBC sessions Soft Machine version and the Kevin Ayers solo version. This is the ultimate band for high quality music from a surprisingly large live archieve. Every time I think that there cannot be much more to add my Soft Machine collection along comes another live set.

Of Queues & Cures
Of Queues & Cures
Offered by Japan-Select

5.0 out of 5 stars National Treasure, 12 Dec 2006
This review is from: Of Queues & Cures (Audio CD)
This album came out in the middle of New Wave post Punk UK and was not the type of music that the majority of people were listen at the time. Since I was trying to remain cool and was certainly not going to follow the rest of the sheep along the mainstream road, this was just what I was after. Clearly there was a lot of mainstream stuff I really liked but I kept it under my hat (I didn't actually wear a hat beacuse that was a trendy this to do at the time too) This album is just great music. No concessions to fashion or indeed songs just brilliantly executed Avant-garde, as it was then, or was this band a member to the Canterbury Scene, I know Dave Stewart does not like that tag but it does work. The latest in a line of bands that included Egg, Hatfield and the North, Arzachel, Khan... If you like this then check out these and also check out the fantastic range of Soft Machine albums and live sessions that are available. Music that will shift your brain out of neutral.

Beat
Beat

5.0 out of 5 stars Crimson Rocks, 4 Dec 2006
This review is from: Beat (Audio CD)
This is quite simply a perfect King Crimson album from the opener, Neal & Jack & Me which propels the listener along with a funky undercurrent but it is also the contrasts between the noise of urban chaos in Nerotica that is placed next to the erotic beauty of Two Hands and Requiem as the last track is a bit scary.

Unbeatable

Discipline
Discipline

5.0 out of 5 stars The First of an Almost Perfect Trio, 4 Dec 2006
This review is from: Discipline (Audio CD)
I had been talking to a friend, in the early 1980s, about bands and music we liked. He was a big King Crimson fan and recommended Starless and Bible Black and Red which I really liked when I heard them and I started to listen to other KC stuff. Then I read about a new Robert Fripp project with Bill Bruford, Adrian Belew, and Tony Levin. I was really into music that all of these people had been involved with prior to this so I was excited. When I heard that Fripp had decided that this new band represented a new King Crimson I had mixed feelings. On the one hand I thought brilliant a new version of this fantastic music but on the other I was worried that it would not live up to expectations.

I needn't have worried, this was everything I hoped it would be and more. I know that Fripp was a bit concerned that Belew's lyrical stylings and vocal delivery had become a bit too influenced by David Byrne's in places but Belew had been evrywhere from Talking Heads/Tom Tom Clube via Zappa and Bowie around this time so it was unsurprising that he picked up some influences along the way. From the opening bars of Elephant Talk this is just a fantasic rock album, and the people would get all shirty about prog rock should just get out more. The moaning of the punks who still go on and on and on and on........ about how prog rock went on.... (you get the picture) are more boring than the longest of gutar/keyboard noodlings/ drum solos I have every heard.

This album does none of that though it just delivers.

The follow up Beat was equally as good with the third installment, Three of a Perfect Pair, nearly hitting the mark but not quite (a four rather than five star effort)

The next reawakening of the Crimson Dinosaur, Thrak, where the entire KC history is distilled into one album. If you want to hear more after this these are the places to go.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2013 3:08 PM BST

The First Man of the Zither Plays "The Third Man Theme" & Other Original Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, 24 Nov 2006
From the first note I am there. There is something beautiful but sinister about this music, it carries with it the atmosphere of menace that pervades the film. I always love the music in the film and it works really well on its own, there are very few soundtracks that are worth having, Amalie, Chocolat, Bellville Rendez Vous but this is the best.

A Whiter Shade of Pale - Germany
A Whiter Shade of Pale - Germany
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars A Whiter Shade of Psychedelia, 24 Nov 2006
The lyrics are nonsense and the tunes are propto-porogressive rock but there is something wonderful about this album that I really love. I was never really aware of much other than A Whiter Shade of Pale form the Procols when I was young but decided to take a chance on this album because I wanted that song. It really does capture the era. The cover photographs of the band are priceless all silk blouses, long unstyled hair smoking pipes; it is a perfect picture of young men of the era wanting to embrace the new but not quite understanding how to get it right.

Fortunately the music is bang on whoever actually "wrote" the arrangement of Bach's tune which became WSoP. The current court case seems a bit odd, one in which the winner is the one who is proved to have stollen another man's work. But don't blame the Procols for that classical works are "adapted" in popular music all the time and the 1960's Blues Boomers knicked guitar solos and tunes from their living composers on a regular basis.

A great album worth having

Peacocks
Peacocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and not so brilliant., 24 Nov 2006
This review is from: Peacocks (Audio CD)
The title track here ia absolutely wonderful (recently covered by Tommy Smith on one of his albums) and if you just think of this as a CD single with a load of extra tracks then it is still worth the price! This was Jimmie's chance to shine as a leader after years of supporting some of the true greats of jazz, Billie Holiday for example and Stan Getz, who helped make this session happen.

Getz was to act only as producer but, rather egotistically I think, muscled in on the session and ultimately turned this into Stan Getz presents... rather than simply a Jimmie Rowles album. I am reminded of Stan Tracey's take on Getz whom he admired as a musician but did not like as a man, he said "... he is the sort of man who washes his hans before he goes to the toilet..." and I guess that aspect of Getz is evident here.

This, however is still Jimmie's album and his gentle charm shines through. Whilst some of Getz' sax work is intrusive such of it adds to Jimmie's creative flare. Rowles, ever the gentlman, never complained about Getz taking some of the spotlight and maybe he was just more of a man than the rest of us and didn't feel the need to hog the limelight. I still feel that Getz could have taken a leaf out of Miles Davis' book when he played on Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else, where he just appeared as a band member (another brilliant album)This is a brilliant, eclectic album, a bit cheesy in places for some tastes, but I love it and, as I said before, is worth having for the title track alone!

The Rough Guide to Jazz (Rough Guide Music Guides)
The Rough Guide to Jazz (Rough Guide Music Guides)
by Ian Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm.............. Nice!, 21 Nov 2006
This is the best jazz guide on the market. Ian Carr has an unassailable position as one of the best jazz writers in print. His biography of Miles Davis is superb and I would advise anyone who wants to appriciate the context of Miles' career and his development of musical styles to read that book, it is wonderful for existing fans and a brilliant introduction for those who do not already know his work. Here the three authors give us the opportunity to explore the world of jazz, not via a didactic single route but by giving us details and insights into a reasonably comprethensive list of jazz. It is true that these insights are not always the same for each artist nor do they necessarily offer a consistent historical context for every entry but that for me is a strength in such a book, I am also credited with the ability to do much of the exploration for myself. Musical enjoyment is after all a rather subjective process. I don't want anyone, however knowledgable, telling me in what order I should develop my musical appreciation in any genre.

It took me a long time to start seriously listening to Miles Davis, for insatnce, when I started to get into jazz about 10 years ago. There was so much written and said about him and I was being told which albums I should start with and so forth, with the result that Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way were amongst the last of his albums I bought and I do owm the vast majority of them.

So use this as a took to find your way around jazz and to make leaps from one school of jazz to another this will help develop your ear and challenge you preconceptions about what is and is not jazz. Hmmm..... nice!

Yellow Submarine Songtrack
Yellow Submarine Songtrack
Offered by Sent2u

5.0 out of 5 stars First Outing for Hey Bulldog!???, 17 Nov 2006
Hey Bulldog was on the original soundtrack album, which has always been available on Cd but which only has four tracks not on any other original LP i.e. Hey Bulldog, Only a Northrn Song, It's All Too Much and All Together Now, although the latter track is not really essential to all but the mostfanatical completist.

This however is a much better way of getting those tracks than that other Yellow Submarine album. The sound is much improved here and the songs are put in the context of the other songs in the movie

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11