Profile for torsten0301 > Reviews

"torsten0301"

Uh Huh Her
Uh Huh Her

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure excellence!, 25 July 2004
This review is from: Uh Huh Her (Audio CD)
I was only introduced to PJ Harvey roughly two weeks ago. A friend of mine spotted her giving a concert in the Brixton Academy and convinced me to come along. I must say I was literally blown away by her energy. But at the same time, despite her huge success, she seems to have stayed modest and honest.
Since the concert I have been listening to Uh Huh Her over and over again. Never heard such a pure, direct, powerful and agitating work of music. It keeps growing with every time I listen to it. The sometimes called "lo-fi" production of the album feels more authentic than the most high profile and technically overproduced works nowadays. Somehow the songs connect directly to you. Especially "The slow drug" and "The desperate kingdom of love" sound as if she sings directly next to you. The powerful "...Mr. Badmouth" and "Who the fuck?" are just amazing. The songs work perfectly together, but have also no problem to stand on their own.
I think I have become a fan for life. Just bought "Stories..." what also is a good album but by far not as pure as "Uh Huh Her". Can't wait to hear her other works.