Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now
Profile for Baz > Reviews

Content by Baz

Page: 1 | 2
LG BE12LU38 External Blu-ray Re-Writer
LG BE12LU38 External Blu-ray Re-Writer

4.0 out of 5 stars LG BE12LU38 for Mac, 1 Mar. 2012
I bought the LG BE12LU38 as a backup storage system for my video files. I went for the LG over other brands as its blu-ray products were generally getting favourable reviews over other brands. It is well built and stylish, if a bit bulky. It's also very quiet.

The question mark for me, however, was whether this would work on a Mac. LG blu-ray drives are advertised as being Windows compatible but reviews for other LG models suggested that Macs had no problems. Some LG drives appeared to work out of the box whilst other LG drives needed 3rd party software to work.

I'm currently running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on a MacPro. The Mac had no problem recognising the drive but I've had to use 3rd party software - in my case Roxio Toast 11 - to actually back up files with the LG drive.

I haven't had this drive for too long but backing up is going well (touch wood!)The drive appears to be working fine through the USB connection.

So if you are looking at this drive and are a Mac user, the drive does work on a Mac but you might have to consider buying some third party software like Roxio Toast in order to use it. (Personally if you're doing a great deal of backing up, software like Roxio Toast is a good investment anyway.)

Good luck with your search.

Happy Families... Plus
Happy Families... Plus

4.0 out of 5 stars Why not remaster the original album..., 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Happy Families... Plus (Audio CD)
This is my favourite of the three albums, which I played to death when it was originally release. I was therefore very excited to now get this on CD and have good clean copies of album tracks like Wasted and Sad Day.

I would have given this a 5 star rating but for one problem. The frustration of Happy Families and the other remasters is that they're not the original album releases. I don't get this decision. I'm not on some 80s revival reliving my youth. I bought Happy Families on CD to replace my worn out vinyl and tape copies because it is a brilliant album. So why mess about with it?

It looks like I have to return to my old vinyl copies and try to download them onto computer. What a palaver.

Believe You Me... Plus
Believe You Me... Plus

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album but..., 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Believe You Me... Plus (Audio CD)
I agree with others that this is the weakest of their three albums, but on saying that it's still very good.

It's great to see this and the other albums digitally remastered. However, the opening track Lose Your Love is NOT the original album version. The original version has a fuller sound and gives more of a punch.

Stupid decision.

Haunting, The [DVD] [1999]
Haunting, The [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***

1.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Busters meets Scooby Doo, 4 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Haunting, The [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Need I say more? Buy the excellent Robert Wise 1963 version and don't waste your money on this rubbish. Oh....and what's more, Claire Bloom is far sexier than Catherine Zeta Jones.

HP Photosmart C5280 All-In-One Printer - 32 ppm, USB, 4800dpi, LCD Display
HP Photosmart C5280 All-In-One Printer - 32 ppm, USB, 4800dpi, LCD Display

3.0 out of 5 stars Good printer, shame about the software?, 3 Dec. 2008
On the plus side, I'm very impressed with the colour match when printing images. This is my third HP printer and it doesn't disappoint in this department. As a keen amateur photographer this is understandably very important when printing off the odd photograph. I've had no problems so far this printer communicating with Photoshop CS3 for printing and scanning. The photocopy facility works fine, menus easy to follow; everything I've come to expect from HP. It's not broken down on me and continues to work even when the colour cartridge is empty, something that Epsom printers don't do, or didn't used to do.

As for the negatives, it does go through ink very quickly. Not sure if this is down to the printer or HP making the cartridges smaller; after all, it's the ink where these companies make their money with printers.

It's interesting reading the reviews of the difficulties some people have had with this printer, and it seems to relate to the software. I have this printer running on my Mac (running OS X 10.5.5) and HP PC (running Vista). My printer did come with Mac software but I downloaded the latest version from HP; so far, no problems. However, come to my PC and I'm screaming. I'm not sure whether this is a HP or Vista problem but whenever I run my PC without the printer connected, the next time I come to run my PC with the printer connected my PC wants to re-install the HP printer driver and software. The HP printer software boots up, I decline all options (because it's already installed on my PC) and yet I still goes on to re-install the software. This leaves me with multiple copies of the driver in my printer manager.

Should you buy this? Well I think the printer itself is good, if a bit thirsty. But there does seem to be a software issue. I've not had the same problems others have had and I tend to point the finger more at Vista, as it's a dreadful piece of software, but I've still had problems nonetheless. I will still stick with HP in the future.

Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by David Sawyer McFarland

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 2 Dec. 2008
I'm currently building my own web in my spare time with no prior experience. I knew that Dreamweaver would give me what I needed but friends had warned me that getting my head around Dreamweaver would be difficult as there's a great deal to learn.

With a steep learning curve ahead, I knew I needed a book that would help me through the difficult times. I bought this book based on the positive reviews and then having a quick look in Waterstones. By the end of chapter 1 I was confidently setting up a new site and soon I was creating new web pages, adding and formatting text using CSS and inserting images. I've just learnt about creating links and adding menu bars.

I'm one of those people who likes to have a handle on things. The book works for me as it helps me to understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. There are times when I'm reading, making my own notes as I go along, then I will be following a tutorial that draws on what I've just been reading and the skills and knowledge from previous chapters.

This is a well considered piece of writing that has given me instant satisfaction through immediate results. The use of coloured pictures would have been ascetically pleasing but this isn't a huge problem in the great scheme of things. I still have a long way to go but I don't feel overwhelmed and looking forward to moving onto the next stage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad album, 1 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Universal (Audio CD)
In an interview with Andy McCluskey that came out at the time of this release back in 1996, he was desperate to have another hit and had gone back to listening to Architecture and Morality to get an handle on the popularity of their 1981 album. As a result Universal is quite a refreshing album. I'm currently listening to it now (12 years since its release) and am still very impressed with the use of sounds and ideas. Yes, it's not as good as the stuff from those very early days and there are some naff decision made, including a blatant rip-off of Pulp; why would anyone want to rip off Pulp? This is the 3rd album by McCluskey and is far better then his other two mediocre albums [Sugar Tax and Liberator].

With OMITD reformed, it will be interesting to hear their new material. If Andy McCluskey stops thinking about trying to write hits, then maybe OMITD will get back to writing accomplished music like they did in the early 80's. Maybe then they might get the success Mr McCluskey wants.

Creature II 2.1 Multi Media Speaker System - Aluminum
Creature II 2.1 Multi Media Speaker System - Aluminum

4.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 26 Nov. 2008
I bought these speakers for my computer. Desk space is at a premium and I am on a relatively tight budget.

The L/R speakers are amazingly small and take up very little space, with the subwoofer out of the way on the floor.

I feel that with sound quality you get what you pay for. At just under £50 I'm not expecting miracles but the ability to listen to music without cringing because the sound is too thin or there's too much base. I think the clarity of sound produced by these speakers is good and ideal for the home. They don't disappoint.

Dazzle Ships
Dazzle Ships

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of the end, 13 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Dazzle Ships (Audio CD)
'Dazzle Ships' marks a key turning point in the career of OMITD. During the release of their first three albums, Paul Humphreys and Andy McCluskey were writing music for artist reasons. They would even battle the record company over commercial decisions because they weren't going to sell out. After the commercial success of their third album 'Architecture and Morality', they were presented with a choice - either write an A&M 2 album and cash in, or continue the way they had been going, by writing what the hell they wanted to write. Fortunately, they chose the latter option.

So 'Dazzle Ships' was born. However, the weird ideas, themes, radio samples and sound effects featured on this album were too much for the audience the album bombed. Paul and Andy grew up, realised their responsibilities to sell records and spent the rest of their careers walking the commercial road. Although they still showed the talent to write a good song, the creative, edgy quality to their music faded away; they started to write songs with proper choruses, conventional rhythms and sounds, and even cheesy lyrics about love.

If you're one of those people who likes that later stuff, then Dazzle Ships and any of their previous material might not be for you. OMITD were different band in those early days; they were brilliant. If you like ingenuity and creativity, then this might be for you. For the sake of a few quid you can't go wrong in buying this album.

As an aside, with the original line-up heading back to the recording studio, I hope they will go back to creating music of the caliber shown in their earlier work; but I somehow doubt it. They've got used to playing it safe. Of course, I don't blame them for this as we all have to earn a living; but what happened to OMITD after they sold out? Did they go on to become a mega band? No. Did they go on to become mega rich? No. They ended up in loads of debt supporting Depeche Mode, eventually splitting up and going their separate ways in 1989 . So I'm personally not convinced that OMITD were any better off for selling out. So why don't they go back to writing creative music and become credible artists once more? I'm not convinced they would be any worst off. Finger's crossed that they stop playing it safe.

Architecture & Morality
Architecture & Morality

5.0 out of 5 stars Experimental and commercial coming together, 11 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Architecture & Morality (Audio CD)
Calling OMITD's music "synth pop" doesn't do their music and this album justice; A&M is not Depeche Mode or the Human League! Okay, so the band used synthesisers but these were not the only instruments of their trade; as far as I'm concerned, it wasn't about what instruments they used but how they used them that gave their music that unique appeal.

A&M is a beautiful combination of synths, guitars, drums, sampled sounds and effects, bringing together OMITD's experimental and commercial sides. The album is an event, brimming with ideas. There's the frantic guitar on the opening track 'New Stone Age'. There's the gorgeous melody of 'Souvenir', and it's choral tapes. There's Andy McCluskey singing falsetto on 'Joan of Arc', providing that memorable haunting feeling. There's Malcolm Holme's distinctive drumming - one minute very minimal and dramatic as in 'Sealand', the next very rythmic as in 'Maid of Orleans'. There's the radio samples used brilliantly in 'Georgia'. There's the musical collage of the title track, consisting of the beautiful Mellotron Choir sound that builds to a dramatic climax. And what about the final song 'The Beginning and the End' that makes me want to start the album all over again.

The extended version contains additional tracks, mainly from their B-Sides. Sadly, and I don't know why, but the fantastic track 'Navigation' has been chopped at the end - which idiot made that decision? You'll have to buy Navigation (the B-Sides album) for the full version of this track. The DVD from the 1981 A&M tour is also a must. The production values are far better than the awful DVD from the A&M tour 2007.

A&M was release at a time when British music was thriving, which is sadly why Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and this album tend to get overlooked in favour of bands like The Human League, Ultravox, Duran Duran, etc. It's a shame because as far as I'm concerned this album is far superior to the majority of material release around this time. OMITD wrote creative and inventive music that happened to be popular. They were putting their music before commercial interests, which is why I think A&M and their three other albums from this period [OMITD, Organisation and Dazzle Ship] have stood the test of time.

If you're interested in inventive, original music, then give this album a try. Don't let Andy McCluskey's developed love affair with cheap pop music put you off.

Page: 1 | 2