Profile for Alex L > Reviews

Offered by SDE Online
Price: 26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - Looks good, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Ryde 28l Motorcycle Top Box
Bought this for my Vespa. I couldn't believe the price Piaggio charge for the official top box and have been looking for an alternative for ages. This really fits the bill as it's the same gloss black as my bike, and suits the overall look of the bike well. Much nicer than the coarse matt finish of many others.
It has also has a better locking mechanism than my previous top box, (this one has a 'push to open' lock). This had me worried to start with, as on arrival I thought the keys were locked inside and was contemplating take a screwdriver to it!
If only it was another few litres bigger it would be perfect. (My (admittedly very large) flip fronted helmet only just fits).

Tovolo King Cube Ice Trays, Blue
Tovolo King Cube Ice Trays, Blue
Price: 11.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these, 13 Oct 2013
Best ice cubes ever.
I used to find ice cubes always melted too fast. Resulting in no ice, warmish drink and watered down flavour.
These are different. They stay frozen till long after I've finished my drink and can be used for a second or a third time.
They also look great with the right glass and the right drink.
They don't freeze quickly of course however, and don't try putting them in a tall glass.
Highly recommended. I'm going to buy another. Just six ice cubes is not enough.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Penguin Modern Classics)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Ken Kesey
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite ever book, 9 Oct 2013
For anyone who's ever had to submit to a fiercely controlling woman, I can't recommend this book enough. Randall McMurphy is an awesome character. Good natured, and funny, whilst also shrewd and formidable.

The battle of formality, strict process and control, over mutual freedom and respect for all, takes place in so many walks of life. And I love Ken Kesey for capturing this all so brilliantly in this book.
I have just finished reading this for a second time, and will no doubt read again.

BLONDE MENS COP KIT 70s STARSKY HUTCH FANCY DRESS & WIG
BLONDE MENS COP KIT 70s STARSKY HUTCH FANCY DRESS & WIG
Offered by Toy and Gift Shop
Price: 12.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, decent value, 2 Jan 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Smiffys 70s Cop Kit (Toy)
I thought this was a decent package for the price. You get quite a lot for your money, and almost everything you need to replicate the Beastie Boys Sabotage video.

I had no issues with the sizing of the holster as some other people have stated. I can only assume they were not able to work out how to put it on properly as the strap that goes across your chest is fully adjustable.

Yes the materials are all cheap, but then seeing as I lost everything except the shoulder strap by the end of the night, thats probably just as well.
The gun is quite small but does the job and actually has a trigger mechanism that works and makes a decent pop noise.

Good fun.

Aladdin Aveo Flask With Cafetiere & Tea Filter
Aladdin Aveo Flask With Cafetiere & Tea Filter
Price: 20.49 - 58.43

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 29 Oct 2012
So after enduring terrible coffee in my workplace I was looking forward to receipt of this. Especially after all the glowing reviews about it.
So I'm quite disappointed it doesn't live up to my expectations.
OK so firstly I should say it works OK. Is robust and generally well designed. No technical problems about the filter or whatever to complain about.

My issue is far more integral.
It's far too much like drinking out straight out of a thermos flask. How much can you enjoy a coffee when the mug is this tall and heavy? And doesn't have a handle. I know this probably sounds trifling but its surprising how much impact this has on my enjoyment when drinking out of it. Also being that it is a thermos it also takes ages to cool down and I regularly burn my tongue. And of course the sides of the mug don't get hot like a normal mug either so it continues to catch me out as you can't gauge the temperature this way.

Also you can't see the contents either because of the plastic mesh at the top of the cup. Which also makes it difficult to add sugar and milk. (I'm also not sure whether its best to add milk before or after screwing the top on and pushing the plunger)?

All in all I find myself tempted to simply pour the contents into a proper mug once brewed and give it a stir with a spoon, adding milk and sugar at this point. Which leads to wonder whether I should have just bought a traditional single serve cafetiere for much less money. ...

Bluelounge Cable Box Cable Management /Tidy Solution in White
Bluelounge Cable Box Cable Management /Tidy Solution in White
Price: 24.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small for UK plugs, 25 May 2012
Bought this to house my 8 way surgemaster plug. It's nowhere near big enough. The marketing claims that it'll house nearly any adapter, but clearly it doesn't. That may be the case in the US where the plugs are smaller and the cable often point straight out/upright.

The only extension lead that this box is suitable is the 'single row of sockets' type. Very few adapters of this type are longer than 4 ways. Making this a very expensive way of tidying up just 4 sockets.

Truth be told, its not even that much tidier, as the cables still trail across the floor, and the box itself is really nothing special. Its just a smooth plastic box at the end of the day. Its certainly not a revolutionary piece of furniture.

Expensive and disappointing. I don't understand the rave reviews on here.??

**Update**
Ok so I found a single strip 6 socket lead and have just used this in the cable box instead. To be fair it does look much tidier now, but the box is rammed with cabling and power bricks etc.. Hopefully the heat etc. won't be too much of a problem.? I've moved my (rather expensive) belkin surgemaster extension lead behind the TV instead. I'm feeling more generous so I'll promote it from 1 star to 3 stars. Its still way too expensive though. This should be c.10-15.

Castlevania - Lords of Shadow (Xbox 360)
Castlevania - Lords of Shadow (Xbox 360)
Offered by S6 entertainment
Price: 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Game, 18 Mar 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
What a great game. Just completed it for the first time, and wow. Brilliant marriage of so many ideas, great action, epic story, brilliantly executed. And long too. A lot of games these days end too soon, but this just keeps coming. Its like Clash of the Titans and Lord of the Rings in one package.

Why didn't I hear more about this game when it came out? Now its available at bargain money its a steal. I could write several paragraphs about how good it is but others have already done so, and I cant be bothered. One of the best games I've played in quite a while though. Will be playing it through on the hard/hardest difficulty next. Looks like there is still plenty more to unlock too if the achievement list is anything to go by.

How to Win Friends and Influence People
How to Win Friends and Influence People
by Dale Carnegie
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius - can't recommend it highly enough, 11 Feb 2011
As relevant today as the day it was written. Essential reading for any managers or professional consultants out there, and just about everyone else.

Written in a very concise, direct style, clearly restructured and reworded many times until distilled into its published form.
It gets to the point quickly. Chapter 2 was a revelation for me, and is essentially the crux of the entire philosophy of the book. It offers such a key insight into human nature, that I can honestly say has enhanced my understanding of social interaction immeasurably.

Midway through chapter 2 "The BIG secret to meeting people" I was hooked. Suddenly after so many years of struggling, the understanding that I lacked was made clear. Whilst I doubt I'll be able to articulate this as lucidly as Carnegie does, essentially, the secret is ...Everybody has a deep burning desire to feel important. This burning desire underpins (and frequently undermines) nearly all social interactions. Whilst Carnegie doesn't use the term himself, I roughly equate this with the Freudian term 'Ego'. Appeal to people's need for self importance and they will feel warmer around you and consequently towards you. Undermine this aspect, (particularly when in pursuit of your own sense of self importance) and expect sour repercussions. This is not to be confused with flattery or falseness however, but in fact requires taking a truly 'genuine' interest in other people.

The book essentially goes on to expand on many circumstances in which this core issue presents itself in life; and offers an often surprisingly approach to resolving these situations, which often demands quite the reverse approach, to that which is conventionally accepted as appropriate. These approaches are all backed up however by real life occurrences in which they have been used successfully, and with surprising results.

I'm someone who generally has trouble meeting new people, so I was slightly sceptical of the bold title of this book. But what can I say. It does what it says on the tin! The simple realisations in this book has allowed me to break out of my inwardness and start realising the impact I am having on others around me. Gradually I am learning to wield this knowledge and understanding more skilfully, which in turn is having an extremely positive impact on my career and effectiveness at work, as well as with friends and family members.

What I especially like however, is the approach it offers is a 'classy' way to deal with people. Whilst I dislike the term 'classy' for all its negative connotations, what I mean by this is, it requires treating people with respect, whilst also being assertive. It's about getting what you want, but by people offering this to you freely, rather taking or manipulating this by hard sell, or deceit. This knowledge is priceless, and frankly the world would be a much nicer place if even more people read this book.

All in all, worth it's weight in gold.
Warren Buffet is quoted on the cover of mine as saying "Carnegie changed my life", and to be honest, I can believe it.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Very heavy, 11 Feb 2011
Really good quality leather. Will probably last for years, and I hope will age nicely. However beware.
It weighs a ton! Really quite heavy before you've even put anything in it.
This is just about manageable if its the only bag you are carrying and its not stuffed to the rafters. However I won't be taking this with me if I'm carrying other luggage too.
Looks great but unfortunately its weight undermines it's usefulness. Which is a shame as I'd hoped it would be a bag for life for me.
I'm probably being very fussy/particular now but its also not quite as cutting edge stylish as I'd hoped either. It;s slightly too dark for me and the shape reminds me of my old school bad (HEAD sports bag). ...But then that's probably just me.
Love fossil bags otherwise though, and this is a nice one.

White Leather Pouch Case Xylo-Cover with Pull Up Cord: for the Nokia E72 Mobile Phone.
Offered by Xylo Uk
Price: 3.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad - Bit cheap looking?, 11 Feb 2011
Well it protects your phone, and its quite cheap.
Truth be told its not finished to the standard that I would like (or have expected had I bought it in person).

Bearing in mind there's not much to go wrong with a product like this, it's disappointing that the pull tab on the pouch doesn't quite sit straight, and flaps about a bit. Consequently it always looks a bit sloppy, whereas my other pouch had a magnetic tab that fit neatly within a cut away section. I might have just been unlucky though?

Otherwise it seems sturdy enough, and fits my Nexus One well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3