Profile for Grace Mansfield > Reviews

Grace Mansfield

Dinard
Dinard

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful folky singer-songwriter, 11 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Dinard (MP3 Download)
Beautiful! Folky and uplifting, Iwan Rheon has a gritty yet relaxing voice and is a genuinely talented singer-songwriter who deserves to be heard. Been listening to this straight for weeks, and expect this will be one of my favourites this year - it's my favourite so far! Very highly recommended

Pompeii
Pompeii
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars A great movie - yes, obviously predictable, but a good watch!, 6 May 2015
This review is from: Pompeii (Amazon Video)
Yes, it's predictable, but for all its bad points it's by no means boring, it's easy to get invested in the characters and it's all very dramatic! Definitely worth watching. And, as one observant viewer notices, our Kit is pretty easy on the eye, too. And I'm sure that will be motivation enough for many..!

Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality
Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality
by Max Tegmark

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding and interesting read - could it reshape the way we look at reality?, 27 Oct. 2014
An absolutely fantastic piece of writing. The first 2/3 or so focus on established theories and slightly more controversial theories, including multiverse levels I-IV. The last 1/3 focusses on his new idea for a mathematical universe.

It is not difficult to read and he explains concepts thoroughly. In most places (whilst I don't want to spoil) Tegmark's arguments follow logically and his idea is certainly very, very interesting indeed.

I've enjoyed reading this book more than any other this year and was compelled to share my 5* review - as I so rarely am..!

Enjoy a new angle of looking at cosmology!

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

4.0 out of 5 stars The God Delusion, 24 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
If Dawkins is to be regarded as the Messiah of atheism, I should be ashamed to call myself an atheist.

My problem with this book is not the flawed logic or the flow of the book (neither of which are as huge a problem as some make out, in fact I thought the book was highly readable); but the man himself. Unfortunately, his attitude didn't warm me (or I imagine many people) to him and although I happen to agree with a lot of what he says, I read the book after the introduction not really wanting him to carry through his arguments.

For those who say that his logic is flawed: I won't say that there aren't inconsistencies, but actually I have considered these inconsistencies and think that actually he may not have been clear, but I can see what he means and there is a distinction that he makes. Nevertheless, I consider it the duty of the reader to think about the contents of what they have read if they think there is any inconsistency - it's a stimulus, and not a problem.

Secondly, the writing itself is actually very, very good. I enjoyed reading it as a piece of writing in itself, as well as finding it engaging, albeit aggressive in places.

Thirdly, people are pointing out sections he hasn't "backed up well enough to justify" and issues he "hasn't dealt with. No person alive has considered EVERY issue concerned with a piece they are writing. I suggest that these people saying he hasn't dealt with every issue are perhaps biased against this work.

Ultimately, I don't like Dawkins' attitude and find him at times almost offensive, but all the same this is absolutely worth the read and he makes some very valid points which are generally explained fairly thoroughly and consistently.

4 stars.

PS. to the person who "isn't convinced by evolution because you can't prove every stage"... Lets be rational about this.

Sheenagh Pugh: Selected Poems
Sheenagh Pugh: Selected Poems
by Sheenagh Pugh

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching yet also powerful poetry from a talent poet, 18 May 2011
A strong collection of poetry makes up Sheenagh Pugh's Selected Poems.

The collection of course includes the award-winning M.S.A. and Intercity Lullaby, both highly credible poems, alongside the personal favourites from the collection "Earth Studies" (for which one must understand the context!) for example my favourite line spoken from the narrative voice of her character Christie, the professor of Earth Studies; "If you really want to know what I think about heaven, the truth is I think I lived there." - another poem I would look out for is entitled "Quetzals only come once".

A previous reviewer refers to "Sometimes" as a poem of hope; I would quickly refute this as Pugh intended the poem to be one of sadness and bitterness and a wish for what will not usually be so..! Not that poetry is not open to interpretation, and indeed, much of hers is very much open to that interpretation of every individual and his or her experience, heritage and background.

Pugh deals primarily with the issues of climate change, the use of language, and also deals with issues such as the Holocaust and alienation. I recommend the book highly and certainly advise a poetry fan to purchase it.

For those who are thinking of buying this book or have enjoyed Pugh's poetry, I would quietly point a reader to Carol Ann Duffy, our Poet Laureates books, particularly The Other Country or her Selected Poem collection..!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2012 1:17 PM BST

Politics - Cutting Through the Crap
Politics - Cutting Through the Crap
by Bali Rai

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant writing from a talented cynic..., 15 May 2011
The perfect book for two types of people.
1) People who know absolutely zilch about politics and
2) People who enjoy laughing at the expense of rich right-wing twits!
I fell under the second category, admittedly, as a fairly left libertarian of fewer than twenty years d'age.
As other reviews have pointed out, there is nothing fair about this book, in fact it is a highly biased slice of genius!
His writing is entertaining and at times vitriolic in a hilarious way which I thoroughly enjoyed cover to cover.
A great book to wave in the faces of anyone to which the humour is aimed.
Thanks for the laughs!