Profile for Mr. Ronald Garner > Reviews

Content by Mr. Ronald Garner

Mr. Ronald Garner (Chesterfield UK)

Graz 1975
Graz 1975

4.0 out of 5 stars it's a great MK 3 show, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Graz 1975 (Audio CD)
A personally long awaited addition to the Deep Purple back catalogue. A few tracks from this show appeared on the 1996 double CD " MK 3 - The Final Concerts " but this is more or less the full show with just the drum solo edited out.The band give no signs that guitarist Ritchie Blackmore is to leave in a matter of days, I think he plays with more fire and conviction here than on the last show in Paris.
I could have done without Glenn Hughes' vocal warblings in places but that small gripe apart, it's a great MK 3 show. I saw them at Sheffield City Hall in May 1974, I wonder if there is an official recording of this concert which could be possibly released in the future?

Michael Schenker Group Hardrock Legends Vol.2 (Rockpalast) [DVD] [2010]
Michael Schenker Group Hardrock Legends Vol.2 (Rockpalast) [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Michael Schenker
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent performance from MSG from their show in Hamburg, 9 Oct. 2014
An excellent performance from MSG from their show in Hamburg, Germany on 24/01/1981. Along with a lot of other fans I think this particular line up fronted by Gary Bardens on vocals is the best band they ever had and Michael pulls out all the stops on guitar.

I had a VHS copy of this show done for me by a friend but it's great to have it on DVD at last in excellent sound quality.
Strongly recommended to all lovers of hard rock music.

Weave Your Spell: The Collection
Weave Your Spell: The Collection
Offered by Japan-Select

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good collection of a great band from the 1980's, 9 Oct. 2014
A very good collection of a great band from the 1980's. I bought this compilation to update my collection as I didn't have anything by them on CD and am pleased with the track listing overall apart from the surprise omission of " Leaving me now".

It's a satisfying compilation of their years on the Polydor label and would recommend to anyone not familiar with their music.

Living With The Past / Live At Montreux 2003 / Jack In The Green [DVD] [2013]
Living With The Past / Live At Montreux 2003 / Jack In The Green [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Jethro Tull

5.0 out of 5 stars Re: Great package for Tull fans, 1 May 2014
This is an excellent package for any Jethro Tull fan with footage from the US tour in 2001, the reunion of the original band, the complete Montreux concert in 2003 and other historic clips from their long career.

I bought it mainly for the Swiss concert but enjoyed watching the 2 other discs too. I'd recommend it to all Tull fans new or old.

The Hollies In Performance
The Hollies In Performance
Dvd ~ The Hollies
Offered by nationwide

4.0 out of 5 stars Re: Hollies in Performance, 1 May 2014
This review is from: The Hollies In Performance (DVD)
A value for money DVD of 2 broadcasts ( in Black and White ), one from Crotia in 1968 before Graham Nash left the band and the second which I believe was on BBC2 to promote the " Hollies sing Dylan " album. I hadn't seen this for a long time so it was good to see it again. The band are in fine form, with an orchestra on hand to augment the sound in places.

I would've liked a DVD menu to be able to pick out certain songs or either of the shows but seeing as neither of these shows are available officially, it's better than not having them in my Hollies collection at all.

Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

5.0 out of 5 stars Dusseldorf : 09/10/1995, 27 Sept. 2013
It's great that this show is available at last officially for all Rainbow fans to enjoy. I'd seen an unofficial video of this concert some time ago and to be fair it was watchable but I was pleased to hear the concert was coming out on DVD. Featuring a line up which only recorded one album " Stranger in us all ", they play a selection of songs from that CD plus various Deep Purple and Rainbow tracks.. I thought Ritchie Blackmore on guitar was on good form and this is one of his better shows with a no nonsense approach.

Definitely an item worth adding to any Deep Purple or Rainbow fan's collection.

GRRR!
GRRR!

4.0 out of 5 stars GRRR! - Rolling Stones, 27 July 2013
This review is from: GRRR! (Audio CD)
I think this is a very reasonably priced compilation released to coincide with the Stones' 50th anniversary celebrations and also contains 2 brand new studio recordings " Doom and Gloom " and " One more shot" which I personally don't think will come to be regarded as classic recordings. Still that small gripe apart, there is a lot of great music on this three disc set and it's a useful companion to " Rolled Gold " which was updated on CD in 2007.

The Rolling Stones: Crossfire Hurricane [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
The Rolling Stones: Crossfire Hurricane [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ The Rolling Stones
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossfire Hurricane - Rolling Stones, 27 July 2013
An excellent documentary on the band's long career which i first saw at my local cinema when it was beamed by satellite from it's premiere in London but it was good to see it again at home. I think it's a shame that 25 X 5 isn't available on DVD at present but it's still a very good account of their rise to stardom including memories of the late Brian Jones.

Small Faces [Decca] [Deluxe Edition]
Small Faces [Decca] [Deluxe Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars Small Faces ( Decca ) Deluxe edition, 27 July 2013
I put off buying this CD for a while as I already had the 40th anniversary edition which was released in 2006 but am glad I got round to adding it to my collection. It's beautifully packaged with lots of picture sleeve singles and memorabilia of the band plus a
second disc of alternate versions including an alternate version of " Don't stop what you're doing " with Jimmy Winston on lead vocal which I'd not heard before. I think it's an essential purchase for anyone wanting to be introduced to one of the most underrated bands from the 60's. They produced some great music which has stood the test of time.

The Rolling Stones - Let's spend the night together [1982]
The Rolling Stones - Let's spend the night together [1982]
Dvd ~ Mick Jagger
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars Rolling Stones - Let's spend the night together DVD, 18 Jun. 2013
I bought this title some time ago on VHS video when it was first released but of course am now no longer able to play it. I bought the DVD so I could watch it again and wasn't disappointed. It's an accurate record of their 1981 US tour, more so than the " Still Life " CD which was heavily edited. A track listing on the case would have been helpful but as this is an import edition, that can be allowed.