Profile for verkaforever > Reviews

verkaforever

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
My Very Favourite Nursery Rhyme Record
My Very Favourite Nursery Rhyme Record

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps too much of a good thing but nice every now and again, 8 Jun. 2014
I had this album as a kid and my Mum says I listened to it from beginning to end many times. My Mum had to put it on a cassette so I could listen to it in the car, as I didn't have a CD walkman then. Looking back, it seems unbelievable I could have listened to it all the way through. It is a good album, and when I happened upon the tape under a chest of drawers when I was tidying my room as a sixth-former, I couldn't resist listening to a few songs for old times' sake, but it was perhaps too much of a good thing. 32 tracks seems a lot for any CD aimed at young children, and they could perhaps have used more singers- Tim Hart takes the lead on nearly every song that can be sung by a man. My favourites as a kid were "Bobby Shaftoe", "Three Jolly Rogues of Lynn", "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "Froggy's Courting". The good thing about this CD is that the song are arranged in a way that also appeals to adults- "What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor", in particular has been given a very contemporary feel. I remember my Mum and Dad singing along with some of the songs

Rise Like A Phoenix (Eurovision 2014 - Austria)
Rise Like A Phoenix (Eurovision 2014 - Austria)

5.0 out of 5 stars The true winner of Eurovision 2014.....wait a minute, it DID win!, 2 Jun. 2014
I thought it would never happen again- the right song won Eurovision! I don't believe Conchita (or Tom Neuwirth to give him his real name), won simply because of the drag queen gimmick- I think he won because he has a great voice, and it was a powerful song. I like songs which use humour to get a message across- I like Iceland this year for the same reason. A man dressed as a woman- and a bearded woman at that- can't be intended to be overly serious, but the song has a great message about overcoming prejudices. A great song, which would probably feature in my Top 10 Eurovision winners.

Rock Your Baby
Rock Your Baby

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Rock Your Baby (MP3 Download)
This is one of those songs you can listen to over and over again and it still sounds good- I recently heard it on the radio five times in four days- on three different oldies stations- and I'm still not bored with it. It is often regarded as one of the first songs of the disco era, but I prefer to think of it as a simple love song.

Three Steps To Heaven
Three Steps To Heaven

4.0 out of 5 stars A good cover of a lovely song, 4 Aug. 2013
I also have the original version of this song by Eddie Cochran, and I'm not going to say which version I prefer- they're each nice in their own way. This version is more or less a straight cover, but Showaddywaddy also put their
own stamp on it. You can't help but smile at the voice-over in the chorus, which is reminiscent of the famous "Mind The Gap" voice-over on the London Underground. This version also includes a spoken verse, which helps get across the message of the song.

Liquid Lunch
Liquid Lunch

5.0 out of 5 stars Another unbelievably catchy tune from Caro, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Liquid Lunch (MP3 Download)
I've become hooked on almost all Caro Emerald's songs after hearing them on the radio. Her lyrics often skate close to the line, but her melodies are often impossible to resist. In this song, as the title suggests, Caro reflects on the unpleasant consequences
of a drunken night out with her girlfriends, swearing she'll never do it again- something that probably happens somewhere in the world every Saturday night / Sunday morning! I'll admit I tried to resist this song because I'm almost completely t-total, but it proved impossible.

Iko Iko
Iko Iko

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistably catchy, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Iko Iko (MP3 Download)
I bought this song within twelve hours of hearing it for the first time. It's one of those songs you never forget once you've heard it. The nonsensical lyrics sound, for the most part, like a children's playground rhyme set to music, and the accompanying video, which is very reminiscent of "Alice In Wonderland", complements the song nicely. Sadly, this song was Natasha's only hit, perhaps inevitably, as that tends to be the case with many artists who record novelty songs.

La Isla Bonita
La Isla Bonita

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Madonna's best songs, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: La Isla Bonita (MP3 Download)
Madonna has re-invented herself many times over the years, and I like many of her songs, but in my opinion, she made her best music during what I call the "True Blue" period- "La Isla Bonita" and the title track from that album are probably my favourite Madonna songs, though I should also give special mention to the classic "Like A Prayer". I've always had a weakness for latino pop, which is why I probably fell in love with "La Isla Bonita", as soon as I heard it.

Only You Can
Only You Can

4.0 out of 5 stars An underrated summer anthem, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Only You Can (MP3 Download)
I'd only heard this song twice in my life when I bought it- it's one of those songs you only hear on programmes like "Pick of The Pops" on BBC Radio 2, or on those programmes where they spotlight a particular year. It was Fox's biggest hit, although they're probably best remembered now for "S-S-S-Single Bed". This song has a calypso-like feel, and makes you think of lazy summer days, and tropical beaches and palm trees.

Ooh-Wakka-Doo-Wakka-Day
Ooh-Wakka-Doo-Wakka-Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense verse set to music, 27 Jun. 2013
I'm a fan of Gilbert O'Sullivan and I feel this track is underrated. The song is completely meaningless, and sounds like a nonsense poem- or even several nonsense poems- set to music. Gilbert even manages to make confronting someone about having an affair sound humorous, and you have to smile when he boasts of his ability to pick up a needle one-handed.

Masterpiece
Masterpiece

4.0 out of 5 stars Madonna's still got it, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Masterpiece (MP3 Download)
I have heard people say that Madonna is past it. She's in her fifties now, even if she doesn't look it- but that doesn't mean she can't still sing. I like the wide range of songs Madonna has sung, from the bubblegum pop of "True Blue" and "Holiday", to disco hits like "Hung Up" and "Sorry", and big adult contemporary songs like "Like A Prayer", "You'll See" (perhaps a lesser-known track, which was on one of the first editions of Top of The Pops I ever saw), and this track. "Masterpiece" is a contemporary ballad about being in love with somebody you'll probably never have. Madonna's music career may not be going too well at the moment, but hopefully she'll bounce back, as she has in the past.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5