Profile for Neil > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Precision PREC0102 Case LCD Wall Mountable/ Desk Clock, Silver
Precision PREC0102 Case LCD Wall Mountable/ Desk Clock, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Other than month/day display - great clock!, 24 Mar. 2015
My only real niggle with this is that the date is displayed as month/day which is annoying. Otherwise this is a decent clock which I bought to mount on the wall - a role it suits well.

ASUS X550CC-XO071H 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i5-3337U 1.8GHz Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful laptop that is refreshingly free of crapware, 30 July 2014
It took me a while to decide on a laptop - I wanted a nice balance of desktop-capabilities vs not-too-expensive but also a good make (things like keyboard layout etc mattered).

Eventually I plumped for the X550CC-X0O71H and I am very happy. With Asus' quick on software the machine can wake up in 2 seconds which is great for the impatient. The design is well thought out - for instance the power cable connects to the laptop via an L-connector - which I still see some laptops not having, the screen is good quality and the various inputs are arranged where you can see them, not around the back. The machine happily runs the sorts of games I was wanting it to; Counter-Strike: GO for instance, and I can also run MSI Afterburner on it to cap (record) video playback. It comes with Windows 8 as standard, and I admit it was a pain upgrading to 8.1, but I would put the blame on Microsoft for the issues I had there. All the same, be warned it took me over 6 hours to get the laptop to accept and install the 8.1 update.

All-in-all I would buy this laptop again if I needed to - and I would recommend it to anyone needing a punchy laptop for a *relatively* low price.

Fight Club
Fight Club
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Film of the book, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Fight Club (Amazon Instant Video)
I was told after watching this movie years ago that it was not as good as the book.

I recently read the book, which is a good read, an excellent debut for the author and an interesting descent into sleeplessness and beyond. So, having thoroughly enjoyed the book I re-watched the film with new eyes.

Those eyes enjoyed the film just as much. Yes the film has a slightly different slant and ending, but that's to be expected. The film does a great job at showing the descent, and I think does the book justice. I would recommend the film or book to anyone who likes a little anarchic action and something a little different form the normal trite fair on offer. I would recommend reading the book first, but it really shouldn't matter.

Veronica Mars
Veronica Mars
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars V Mars back with style, 21 Mar. 2014
As a fan of the show, and a backer for the film, I was unsure how well I would enjoy the film - as it turns out I really liked it. Many references for fans to enjoy and hopefully something for the uninitiated too.

In many ways the story is a classic (spoilers!), girl returns to old town (and old flame) from prosperous new beginnings with new boyfriend. Will she fall back into her old habits? Will she fall back into the routines she left Neptune, CA for? OOOH!

Fuzzy Nation
Fuzzy Nation
by John Scalzi
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Scalzi is irreverent as always, 17 Feb. 2013
This is a fun rewrite of a story by H. Beam Piper in the '60s. I haven't read that, but this is a fun romp through the politics of a future civilisation, specifically regarding the terraforming and mining of planets.

This is not part of Scalzi's enjoyable Old Man series, but readers who enjoy his writing will surely enjoy the geeky fun he has here. Don't expect anything too deep and meaningful and you'll be fine.

SanDisk 32GB Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk 32GB Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Offered by MyMemory

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast even in USB2.0 slot, 17 Feb. 2013
SanDisk deliver again with this 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive. I chucked away the software and just plugged it into the PC. Windows 7 sees it as an external drive as you would expect, and even in the USB 2.0 slots on my machine transfer rates are at or above USB 2.0 standards. My machine has USB 3.0 and everything moves across very quickly.

I use this in the Xbox too, and that is perfectly happy with if anyone is wondering.

Contains Strong Language and Scenes of a Sexual Nature
Contains Strong Language and Scenes of a Sexual Nature
by Cathy Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected joy!, 23 Oct. 2010
I'd heard that Cathy Bryant's performances here in Manchester were well received, but all too often that can translate into semi-literate meanderings on the page. Thankfully, this is both enormously fun and literate - for instance, in the delightful parody of Shakespeare's sonnet 18, 'In Praise of my Beloved's Bottom'. There are serious poems ('Sealove', 'Secret Water') and some feisty political polemic ('Welcome to Beigeland', 'Bi', 'The Moon in Malawi'), often in free verse, but also gentle haiku, as well as several other gems.

Perhaps strongest when indulging her obvious love of language - there are semi-nonsense poems written with a racy sort of glee, such as 'Playing Devil's Avocado', while crossword lovers will adore the cleverness of '22 Fruits' - Cathy breathes life into every page. The title poem combines humour, social commentary and linguistic dexterity, exemplifying the charm of this book.

In short, I was blown away. Not for children, but for everyone else.

The London Underground Board Game Deluxe Tin
The London Underground Board Game Deluxe Tin

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun game which has seen far better iterations, 7 Oct. 2010
I first played The London Game on an old board from the 70's (well it certainly looked that way though it did get a lot of use), and I bought a version of it in approx 1999. This was a good version as well, although the pieces that represent the players were not as useful as they were round, and I preferred the longer pieces from the 70's version as it was easier to see which line you were on. Still, the board was good, slightly updated for changes to the underground since the 70's version.

When I recently wanted a second set for a friend's house I thought this "Deluxe" version sounded appealing. It comes in a tin box, which is nice. The cards are of a low quality, and feel a bit cheap. Also, I had a few cards from a different game which confused me for a while.

Most annoyingly the board, which to get into the smaller box is now folded twice, was very warped. It was hard to play on due to the warping. The player pieces are diecast train carriages which is more imaginative, although I would prefer a narrower piece, these being oval in shape.

I emailed the company and complained and was sent replacement cards and a new (not warped) board.

In summary, the London Game is a fun, easy to pick-up, and short game for 2-6 players. You can claim it is educational as you get to learn the London underground layout, as well as Fun facts about various sites and places of interest around the capital.

This seems to be the only version available unless you go for a second-hand one. It is perfectly playable and the company, although putting out a slightly shoddy product, will at least sort you out if you chase them up.

Boomania
Boomania
Offered by leo of johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat and fun with killer lyrics!, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Boomania (Audio CD)
I loved everything I bought of Betty Boo's back in her hey day. Great early 90's dancey hip-hop style stuff. A great nostalgic treat for me, I heartily recommend Betty Boo to anyone into rap-style dancey stuff.

Sanyo Eneloop AA 4 Pack Batteries 1900mAh
Sanyo Eneloop AA 4 Pack Batteries 1900mAh
Offered by iCell Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, 7 Oct. 2010
I'm not a fan of remembering to recharge batteries, and get annoyed when I find the charged ones are already flat when I come to use them. These eneloop batteries get round that by doing it right. They will slowly lose their overall capacity, just like any rechargeable, but they give good service.

I have bought more after using the first load for several years (and they're still in use, I simply needed more). Excellent product.

Page: 1 | 2