Profile for Cathy > Reviews

Content by Cathy

Cathy (Berkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Thirty-Six and a Half Motives: Rose Gardner Mystery #9 (Rose Gardner Mystery Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG - Amazing, 20 May 2016
This is the final installment in the Rose Gardner Mystery series. I have read every book in the series as soon as it came out and devoured within a day, and this was no exception.
I don't want to spoil it for anyone, especially as it's the final book, but I will say OMG! You are in for twists and turns and surprises right until the end. Just when you think you have it figured, Denise Grover Swank throws in another curveball to keep you engrossed until the last page.
I was really upset that this would be the last book, as it has been such an amazing series to read, but luckily Denise has taken pity on us fans and is starting a new series starring Rose and Neely Kate as private detectives!
If the new series is half as good as this one, it will definitely be worth the wait.

Still the Beast is Feeding: 40 Years of Rocky Horror
Still the Beast is Feeding: 40 Years of Rocky Horror

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of fun and facts, 28 Jan. 2016
Fantastic book. Full of facts and information. A must for any Rocky fan.

Shoot First (Ingrid Skyberg FBI Thrillers Book 5)
Shoot First (Ingrid Skyberg FBI Thrillers Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Twists & Turns, 6 Dec. 2015
For the fans, the passing away of Ms Hudson was quite quick. She had made us aware of her terminal diagnoses, and shared her plan for finishing the novel she was currently working on, and then she said she was leaving instructions and plot structures for her Editor and friend, Jo Monroe, to continue the next books in the series. Tragically Ms Hudson passed away very quickly and before she could finish the manuscript for the next instalment in the Ingrid Skyberg series she was working on. However with all her notes and careful planning, Ms Monroe was able to step in and turn that unfinished manuscript into the finished book, Shoot First, we have today.

Despite Ms Hudson being extremely unwell when writing this, although her storyline and plot, is not 100% her words. Yet it still emerges as an amazing next instalment in the Skyberg series. Had I not known the above, I would not have guessed that this was, technically, a collaboration.

It is clear that Ms Monroe knows the character of Ingrid Skyberg inside out and that enables her to be taken on an intriguing case into the, never straight forward, lives of 2 celebrities. As part of the Legal Attaché team at the Embassy in London, Skyberg is the only FBI agent assigned to the Criminal Division, and as she follows almost invisible bread crumbs to find a missing teenager in a foreign country the case takes dark and sinister turns with a few twists to keep us on our toes. Along the way we also have the Russians starting to come out to play, with deadly consequences.

Returning characters DC Ralph Mills and Nick Angelis both appear and we get to continue the story of DI Natasha McKittrick and her troubling addiction. Good old Angela Tate is also present, although not as much as in previous books.

This fifth book in the series is a complete page turner; unputdownable. I stayed up late into the night to finish it, and as always I was left wanting more. Especially as the book ends on somewhat of a 'will she/won't she' and the less than welcome appearance of an unwanted face from the not so distant past.

I can't wait to see where Ms Monroe will take Skyberg next and I am very happy that one of my most favourite crime series is continuing, although it is bittersweet. I can't think of a more fitting legacy for Eva Hudson than to have her amazing work continue to be shared with the world.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review of this book.

Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape
Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 19 Nov. 2015
I...what can I say? I just want to scoop Jenna up and hug her so hard. She is one of the bravest people I have had the privilege to read about. I finished this book within a day of starting to read it. I just couldn't put it down. It's like a car crash that you can't help but stare at as you pass by. It seems unreal that this could be happening to children as young as 4 (the age Jenna was when her parents entered Sea Org). How can this be right? How can this be legal? How can it still be happening? If we heard about the things happening to Jenna, happening in a family situation next door, you would rightly call Social Services. So how can this so called 'religion' get away with doing this, every day, to so many? And people like Tom Cruise stand there with a smug grin on their face and say it's all good. No. It is NOT all good. It is a brainwashing cult that is after money and control.
Jenna's story is heartbreaking and it's real. It's not fiction. It's not invented. And it's not original. She is one voice of thousands. She is so incredibly brave to have endured all she did and still come out the other side, fighting and helping others.
Anyone even considering looking into joining Scientology should read this. And the other true accounts of ex Scientologists, to see exactly what it is all about. Jenna's words had me in tears frequently, angry on her behalf and ready to go and rescue her myself if she hadn't got out when she did.
This book is just so sad, but ends so positively.
Thank you for sharing with us Jenna.

Thirty-Five and a Half Conspiracies: Rose Gardner Mystery #8
Thirty-Five and a Half Conspiracies: Rose Gardner Mystery #8

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my stars and garters!, 5 Nov. 2015
Oh. My. Goodness.

One of the things I like about Denise Grover Swank's Rose Gardner series is that they are consistently breathtakingly amazing. There is not a mediocre or bad book in the series. And this latest book is no exception.

Thirty Five and a Half Conspiracies is a rollercoaster ride from start to finish that sees you urging and cheering Rose on, wishing you knew Neely Kate, supporting the 'bad guys' (I love Jed!), confused about Joe, seething with hatred for Hilary and J.R. and, by the end, crying with Mason. You are instantly drawn in to their world and feel the emotions as if they are actually happening in your life, to your friends. Writing like that is rare and Ms Grover Swank has a gift.

I have been waiting for this latest instalment to come out since the cliff hanger ending of the last book, and I now have 6 months to wait till the next. Oh my stars and garters. How will I cope?? I love these characters so much and there is so much still to happen and more to learn. Especially regarding Kate, Hilary and Violet. I cannot wait!

As this book has so much going on in it, I don't want to give anything away, so I am not going to include anything about the actual plot. All I will say is that fans of Rose and co will not be disappointed. And if you are looking for a new series of books to read, you need to start with Twenty Eight and a Half Wishes so that you can appreciate how the characters have changed and evolved as the series has continued.

If possible I would give this book 6/5 stars.

Ritual: A Thousand Cuts
Ritual: A Thousand Cuts

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping - from the first cut to the last, 24 Aug. 2015
I am a huge fan of Amanda Howard and I have been eagerly awaiting the third instalment in the Ritual series and boy this did not disappoint! I was gripped right up until the last page.
Alternating between 12 months ago and now, the story of a serial killer unfolds and we travel through the events from the killers point of view as he reflects back and as Detectives Reilly and Stephens work the scenes and try to catch him. We also catch up with our favourite IT guy, Sammy, who is instrumental in helping solve the case.
Interweaved with this case, we also pick up the ongoing story of Kate's parents and their suspicious death.
Howard writes a story that sucks you in and spits you out at the other end feeling as if you have actually been present at the scenes yourself. Her intricate and gory descriptions leave little to the imagination. You almost have to check yourself for blood spatter as the images are so real.
Anyone looking to go on a journey of depravity and evil should read this book. Although I would recommend reading the first two books in the series first so that you can fully appreciate what has come before to help shape the characters and the ongoing story of Kate Reilly's parents.
I cannot wait for book four. The ending leaves you wanting more and wondering what will happen next. And what new hell can Howard's mind conjure up that is grislier than this one...?

Suspension Bridge Wooden Hamster Gerbil Cage Pet Ladder
Suspension Bridge Wooden Hamster Gerbil Cage Pet Ladder
Offered by Pet Connection

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 13 July 2015
This item broke as soon as I unfolded it.

Terminal City (Alexandra Cooper Book 16)
Terminal City (Alexandra Cooper Book 16)

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't even finish it..., 7 May 2015
I hate not finishing a book I have started. I always try to finish it, no matter what. But I am really struggling with this one. I am just over halfway through and I really have no interest whatsoever in carrying on. If I had the slightest interest in the history of trains and the train system in Manhatten, maybe it would be different, but this book just reads like a history book that occasionally remembers that it's supposed to be about murder so throws one in every so often so they have an excuse to get back to the history of Grand Central Terminal and the surrounding buildings.
I have been with this series since the beginning but I have grown tired of how 'wonderful' Alex Cooper is. Rich, gorgeous, tall (I think we get that she's 5' 10" we're told often enough), friends with all the important people. She is now just coming across as annoying and spoilt.
This series needs either shaking up big time or ending.
IF I can bring myself to finish this book and it gets any better, I will update my review.

Murder 101 (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus Crime Thriller) (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus Series Book 22)

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it!, 29 April 2015
I found this quite slow to get into but once I got into it I really enjoyed it. A bit like Decker's retirement!
I like the introduction of 'Harvard' and it was nice to see him develop through the book. I hope he will be back.

eShisha Club NOVA Pink Starter Kit + 5 Pack Mixed Fruits | e Cigarette | Rechargeable Electronic Shisha | Nicotine Free and Tobacco Free | Strawberry Refill Included | 20+ Flavours Available in The Nova Range

5.0 out of 5 stars Good flavours, 29 April 2015
Fast delivery and packaged well.
The flavours are good - I especially like the apple. The bubblegum that it comes with is also nice.
I didn't read the instructions before starting to use so didn't 'prime' it as directed. I would recommend doing this. Once I did that it worked much better.
I am using this to give up smoking, so far so good!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3