Profile for Jim Addison > Reviews

Content by Jim Addison

Jim Addison "brunssum" (Derby England)

Page: 1 | 2
Out Among The Stars
Out Among The Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't it be great if he really was back, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Out Among The Stars (Audio CD)
What a wonderful feeling when you play this album for the first time. It takes you right back to the great years when Cash was making the juke boxes regularly with records like Teenage Queen, I guess things happen that way, Ring of fire etc etc.
These to me are brand new songs some I have never heard before and others like Hank Snows I'm Movin' On brilliantly revived. Its so fresh, happy and new. No need to analyse it just take the word of an old music fan like me and go out and buy it. Its the cheapest gold you'll ever find.

White Mansions & Jesse James
White Mansions & Jesse James
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm among the lucky ones, 17 Mar 2014
I happened to tune into a country prog by Bob Harris which was unusual for me and as luck would have it he played I wish we were back in Missouri . That was it, had to have the Album. Sat down one night with a pint of home brew and listened to it all through and it was one of those musical experiences you always remember. I repeated it several times thereafter and it was always brilliant. The musicality and vocalising is of a very high quality and the story telling is magic. It had a very limited career but now you too can be among the lucky ones with this release. I haven't had the pleasure of White Mansions yet but if you would like another Paul Kennerley and Emmy Lou Harris collaboration try to get hold of The Ballad of Sally Rose. There is some great stuff on it

Gentleman of the Trombone
Gentleman of the Trombone
Offered by Musicroom

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 23 Aug 2012
What a wonderful disc. When I first heard the Vanguard New York sessions with Ruby Braff, Sir Charles Thompson etc I was in the sixth form at school back in 1959 and immediately fell in love with them. They have been a big part of the soundtrack of my life. But I have only just found this session recorded in the south of France and it is exceptionally good. In my opinion Dickenson is the most skilful trombonist I have heard. His phrasing, the emotions he gets in his playing are just wonderful. The other instrumentalists on this session are all top quality maybe not of the stature of the New York aggregation (those sessions are just sublime) but are very good indeed and produce music of a high order. Maybe there is a bit of showboating at times but hey wouldn't you if you had their talent. The Essential Vic Dickenson

Christmas
Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't suppose he's too bad but, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Christmas (MP3 Download)
Someone said they felt they had gone back to the Rat Pack days. Well why not? Try the classical music versions as well. I mean nobody does 'Its beginning to feel a lot like Christmas' like Deano. But I have to say it is good to hear a new take and a couple of new songs to my ears. In particular Feliz Navidad which my daughter forced on me against my better judgement and which was on all Christmas along with my other favourite the classic Chris Rea's Driving home for Christmas. That young Buble better not try messing with that!

Crying
Crying

5.0 out of 5 stars From wonderful to Perfect, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Crying (Audio CD)
This is a song which the Big 'O' made his own and was never expected to be bettered by his fans. But the love and respect he had for KD paid off when she joined him on Crying. KD is happy to play the minor supporting role and the pairing works perfectly because she adds just that bit of extra strength which gives the song narrative sense and makes the climax just spine tingling. What a shame they didn't make an album together because this version is a masterpiece

The Essential
The Essential

5.0 out of 5 stars A trombone has no right to sound as beautiful as this, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Essential (MP3 Download)
Having listened to these wonderful recordings,originally released on 10" LP's, since Jazz Club at School(I am 68 now) they have played a big part in my life. Vic does play beautifully as do all the personel. His phrasing is wonderfully lyrical and full of humour. Ed Hall is well just him with his unique sound and Sir Charles Thompson must be the most underated jazz pianist. John Hammond, the producer, in light of the new microgroove long playing records, told them to relax and just jam playing as many chorus as was right. Indeed these maestro seem to be able to read each others minds and backed by a good rhythm section, at its best when Jo Jones is playing, just produce sublime music. Play it and imagine being in the studio when it was being made. How great that would have been!

Just One More Chance
Just One More Chance

5.0 out of 5 stars Britains Best, 29 Jun 2011
Introduced by Britains best trumpeter, Alex Welsh the countries best cornetist leads here the best British Jazz Band ever, no question in my mind and I was fortunate enough to be there when they were entertaining great players from the US like Ruby Braff, Peanuts Hucko etc.
Just look at the line-up and listen in awe and then seek out better albums from the Welsh Band of the sixties. This makes a good starter!

Sophisticated Approach
Sophisticated Approach

4.0 out of 5 stars The Gentle Giant Finds His Tender Side, 24 Oct 2010
Only Kenton and his superb band could do this!
Musicians so confident in their musicality that they could go back to the dancing music in 1961 having previously made land mark albums'Kenton in Hi Fi' (Milestones) 'Cuban Fire' and 'West Side Story' among others and knowing they would be criticised for being 'commercial'.
Hey we all need to make a bob or two as did Stan very often to keep that contemporary wonderful band that you 'listened to' on the road. And if in making that bob or two you produce a beautiful album like this, that is great by me.
There are distinct shades of the real Stanley Kenton in here, going back to the Balboa days and like that time the music has depth and originality the very things that made that band in the ballroom so exciting. But as the title suggests this is the gently swinging stuff not the rocking variety. That is elsewhere. But would you not have liked to have taken your woman in your arms and danced to the front of the bandstand to this super music.
If you are doubtful sample 'But Beautiful' and 'How do I look in Blue' and you will be sold I am sure.
There is plenty of time and recordings of the exciting contemporary genius of Kenton to enjoy but for that romantic evening or when you need to quietly contemplate let this collection be your backing track. you will not find many better, that I promise!

The Ballad Style Of Stan Kenton
The Ballad Style Of Stan Kenton

4.0 out of 5 stars The gentle giant of jazz shows his romantic side, 3 Oct 2010
Only Kenton and his superb band could do this!
Musicians so confident in their musicality that they could go back to the dancing music in 1961 having previously made land mark albums'Kenton in Hi Fi' 'Cuban Fire' and 'West Side Story' among others and knowing they would be criticised for being 'commercial'.

No One Cares
No One Cares

5.0 out of 5 stars How Wonderful, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: No One Cares (MP3 Download)
How wonderful that the recording quality being so good you can hear the slight tremble, the sadness and all the emotion in that beautiful voice after all these years. There has never been any one who could touch this man for vocalising songs of broken hearts. Anyone who has experienced lost love will know how superbly close he gets to their own feelings. The arrangements by Gordon Jenkins are such that they enhance the pathos to make some renditions just unbearable. When you gaze upon that little cottage with its curtains drawn and those strings sweep over you it is simply heartbreaking! I quite agree with the critic who says don't campare this with 'Only The Lonely' which whilst being excellent just lacks, for this listener, the deep sadness of 'No One Cares' This album has the power to make that sad listener find release through a flood of tears. Treat this album with care if you are feeling blue.It is simply beautiful.

Page: 1 | 2