Profile for Johnny Dee > Reviews

Collage
Collage
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Hustle collage, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Collage (Audio CD)
I have been searching this cd for so long and a new copy at a reasonable price has been so hard to find but after many years I have been able to buy myself a copy and when it arrived, it really was a musical wish coming true.
American Eddie Drennon was not a house hold name in the mid seventies but with " Let's do the latin hustle " he contributed a highlight to the booming disco era and as a result it stalled at no. 20 in the British chart in 1976.
Although his composition was quickly covered by a British group called M & O Band - no. 16 in the British charts ! - , the original version of " Let's do the latin hustle " by Eddie Drennon & B.B.S. Unlimited was certainly the best.
Their album " Collage " was released very soon and it opens with a extended version of " Let's do the latin hustle " ( not the Tom Moulton mix unfortunately ), followed by " Prelude in fugue " which is in the same mould as " Latin " but with a classical feel. Nice combination !
" Please stay - please stay " has also the same atmosphere as the " Latin " hit but this time with a " Love boat " feel. Enjoyable !
" A time in search " is totally different, easy pounding beat with a blaxploitation feel.
" Let's do it again " was probably the follow up to his " Latin " hit and equally danceable but at the time the ( Latin ) hustle contributions ( with unforgettable items such as " The Hustle " by Van McCoy, " Spanish hustle " by the Fatback Band and " Salsoul Hustle " by Salsoul Orchestra ) was already at its peak.
" Do it nice and easy " could easily be a part of a soundtrack from a blaxploitation movie starring Pam Grier.
" Do what you gotta do " is euro disco with a sensual chorus and beat.
Closing track is " Get down, do the Latin Hustle " and as the title already suggests, it is another example of the Hustle era and after 33.10 minutes this musical collage comes to an end.
Love this cd, it is clearly a full album and if you enjoyed " Let's do the latin hustle " in its heydays, you won't be disappointed ! Even after 38 years !

Ric-Tic Relics Volume 1
Ric-Tic Relics Volume 1
Offered by Soulful Records

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Ric-Tic Relics Volume 1 (Audio CD)
My reason for buying this compilation cd was the stereo version of San Remo Golden Strings " Hungry for love " and while listening to this track I was not disappointed. All the others tracks are directly from mono 45 singles which makes it sound gloomy and cheap. Also not a single mention of composers etc. on the cover. This release was not worth waiting for so therefore just one star.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 5:39 AM BST

From a Girls Point of View We
From a Girls Point of View We

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlimited love for Love Unlimited, 3 Jun. 2013
I have been looking for this album for more than 20 years and in the pre internet era it was not an easy thing to do !
A couple of years ago I suddenly ran into this album which had already been released in 1994 but now it was out of print.
Fortunately enough there were a few second hand copies available and while becoming very eager to get a copy for myself I just had to pay a lot for my personal piece of walking down memory lane.
I had the album and had been playing it for more than a thousand times ( poor neighbours of mine ) but I told myself to listen it again when it was released on cd.

The album starts with Glodean James's personal monologue " They say it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all " after which the sisters Glodean and Linda James and Diana Taylor leads you to " I should have known " ( b- side of their debut single " Walking in the rain ... ).
Second track is " Another chance " ( b-side of " Is it really true " )after which " Are you sure " ( written by the girls themselves ! ) follows.
" Fragile handle with care " is another piece of letting love into a girl's heart.
After this Mr. Barry White himself comes into the spotlight by saying " Baby I'm gonna stay with you ... ", an introduction to " Is it really true is it really me " ( the follow up single to " Walking ... ") including twirling violins and a very saxophone.
" I'll be yours forever more " includes a brief word from Barry and makes way for two covers " If this world were mine " ( by Marvin Gaye ) and " Together " ( composed by Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff from the Philadelphia fame ).
Last original track of the album is their hitsingle " Walking in the rain with the one I love " ( I have a vinyl single in which the cover title states " Walking in the rain with the one YOU love " )which was their introduction to a career of more than 10 years and which has that romantic telephone conversation between Barry and Glodean in the end. Personally one of the sexiest love songs ever !
Two bonustracks are included, " It may be winter outside " ( even though it never charted in Holland, it became a annual Christmas classic later on ) and " I belong to you ". A very friendly gesture to have these songs as a bonus !

Reviewing this album more than 40 years after its original release ( 1972 ) I have to say that the somewhat concept album has matured and still is an everlasting memory of my teenager days.
There's no limit to my unlimited love for Love Unlimited !

Get a copy while you can !

Dedicated to the loving memory of Diana Taylor

The Best Of The Shangri-Las: The Mercury Years
The Best Of The Shangri-Las: The Mercury Years

5.0 out of 5 stars Really their best !, 8 Feb. 2013
At last a worthy contribution to this teen anguish girlgroup ! Although their reign was a short one, the girls are really the queens of despair. Just listen to " I can never go home anymore ", "He cried ", " Past present and future ", "Remember walking in the sand " and their best known track " Leader of the pack ". There have been released many greatest hits collections of the girls but this one is definitely their best, due to the original Mercury mastertapes. Most of the tracks sound very clear and polished.

Physical Attraction
Physical Attraction

3.0 out of 5 stars Not always passionate, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Physical Attraction (Audio CD)
Nice to hear some of their best Bobby orlando efforts on three cd's. Besides " Passion " in its full version there's an extended version of " New toy " with typical Orlando ( best known for his Divine contributions as " Shoot your shot ", " Love reaction " ) influences. But on the average I foound most of the tracks a bit cheesy, due to different line ups. The cover of this package promises far more than its contents I'm afraid.

The Definitive Collection
The Definitive Collection

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardly definitive, 9 July 2012
As a huge fan of the Trammps for more than 40 years I was shocked when I heard the news of lead singer Jimmy Ellis had passed away this year. RIP Jimmy.
With his distinctive voice he really was the star of disco gems like " Zing went the strings of my heart ", " Love epidemic " and " Disco inferno ".
I already had some of the various " Best of the Trammps " collections but I have always regretted that somehow the track " Stop and think " was missing.
Then I saw this compilation and it included this missing track and it was being treated in an unmistakable Tom Moulton way, it really was the icing of the cake and ordered a copy right away.
When my order arrived, I noticed that much to my surprise the title " Definitive collection " is somewhat too optimistic.
In Holland they achieved their biggest success ( nr. 5 ) with " Shout " ( a danceable rendition of the old Isley Brothers hit ) which really was the b-side of " Where do we go from here " ( included here, also reworked by Tom Moulton but strangely enough in a diff'rent more uptempo speed, just like " Love epidemic " ) but this song can not be found on the " Definitive collection ".
Also missing are " Trusting heart " ( top 30 hit ) and " Save a place " ( also a top 30 hit over here ) from their Philadelphia International era.
From their Buddah period are " Tom's song " ( a nice instrumental but danceable song dedicated to Mr. Tom Moulton ? ) and " Pray all you sinners " sadly overlooked.
Instead of this there are many fillers and on some of them you can not even hear Jimmy Ellis' voice.
So, is this really is a definitive collection ? I don't think so, but the price was right !

Once Upon a Time...
Once Upon a Time...
Offered by roundMediaUK

3.0 out of 5 stars Once upon a time goin' back to black, 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Once Upon a Time... (Audio CD)
Even though I have been searching for this album on cd for ages, I never thought I'd see the day of its release.
It was just one of those albums which was in 1977 sadly overlooked by the crowd and would never appear as a digital release.
One night I typed in the name " Black light orchestra ", bearing in mind that it couldn't be found ...
It was a delight to find out that I was totally wrong and that it was already released in 2003 !

Before Alma Faye Brooks, before Voggue Canadian producers/musicians Michel Daigle and Dominic Sciscente created The Black Light Orchestra. B.L.O. was a studio group of musicians, many of whom appeared on the duos later productions.
B.L.O. had several albums 1977's "Once Upon A Time" and 1979's "This Time" were their most successful. Both albums were mainly instrumental outings.

The Once upon a time album opens with a tribute to Ennio Morricone ( well know for Chi mai ) and the track "Morricone" couples the well known "Once upon a time in the west" ( spaghetti western with Henry Fonda,Charles Bronson and Claudia Cardinale ) with " A man and his harmonica " in a danceable style.
"Theme for Black light " is a perfect song to follow this disco mood with a girlie choir and a moviescore treat.
"Fifty eight" is somehow an awkward filler but the "Tribute to Barry " is orchestrated in a way that Mr. White could have composed it himself, including Love Unlimited alike vocals.
"From Genesis to Exodus" could also have been a moviescore - in the same Morricone mood - and the final track "Touch me, take me" is just a little bit sexy because of the uninspired vocals.

After 33 minutes and a few seconds later the Black treat is over. A bit too short in my opinion and therefore this release deserves 3 stars, because there was plenty of space to include their next album "This time".
Maybe Unidisc will release it in the near future as a double feature ... and I will buy it again !
But for now I go back to black ....

I'm Doin' Fine Now - A Golden Classics Edition
I'm Doin' Fine Now - A Golden Classics Edition
Offered by roundMediaUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not doing fine, 23 July 2011
At last a nice collection of New York City's finest efforts on cd available, that's what I thought.
Hearing the first track, "I'm doing fine now " ( their biggest hit ), I figured that this track was put on cd, directly from the vinyl album. Also all the other tracks ( like " Quick, fast, in a hurry " ) sound gloomy because of the lack of digital mastering. What a shame !
Even though this group did not achieve the success they aimed for ( their first album was produced by the genius Thom Bell, well known for the masterpieces he wrote for the Detroit Spinners ), they certainly deserve to have their musical highlights to be released properly !
The only star this release deserves is for the fine liner notes. So, who's doing fine now ?

The Three Degrees
The Three Degrees

5.0 out of 5 stars Temperature's rising, 6 May 2011
This review is from: The Three Degrees (Audio CD)
For the first time available on cd : the Three Degrees' debut album plus their collaboration with MFSB ( " TSOP " and " Love is the message " ) and a highly acclaimed Tom Moulton mix of " Dirty ol' man ". A nice walk down memory lane.
Philly sound at its best : fine arrangements, sincere lyrics and beautiful vocals.
Starting with " Dirty ol' man " ( in my homeland Holland nr. 1 for several weeks !) followed by " Can't you see what you're doing to me " ( b-side of Dirty ... ), " A woman needs a good man ", their 2nd hit " When will I see you again " and its b-side " I didn't know ". Best track is " I like being a woman ", a sultry ode to girlpower. Valerie Holiday's - as can be read in the detailed booklet! - favorite track is " If and when " followed by another hitsingle " Year of decision ".
Thank you Big Break Records ( in association with CBS and Philadelphia International Records ) for releasing this long awaited album. Due to its initial length there are also bonus tracks added - see above - and once again its booklet is breathtaking ( also the pics are very nice ). The very sexy photograph of Valerie Holiday, Sheila Ferguson and the late Fayette Pinkney in transparent jumpsuits - originally shown on the inner sleeve of the vinyl album - can be seen on the backside of the cd. Times are changing, huh ? I still think they didn't need this controversial image to relaunch their career because this album just could not be overlooked by the buying public. I'm waiting for the releases of their follow up albums because this one makes my temperature rise !