Profile for D. Moses > Reviews

Content by D. Moses

D. Moses (London, London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
White Light
White Light

3.0 out of 5 stars most reviewers seem to really like this CD, 15 Jan. 2016
This review is from: White Light (Audio CD)
I can see I am in a minority here, most reviewers seem to really like this CD. Unfortunately, I just see every release since their magnificent debut, Forgiven not forgotten as worse and worse, more and more dwindling in the depths of mediocrity and commercialism. Where is the amazing 'minstrel boy' or the wonderful 'erin shore'? Even the pop songs back then were full of melody; forgiven not forgotten and closer had an ethereal quality and defied any conformity to music at the time. It then went downhill from there. There were moments of brilliance, 'silver strand' comes to mind. But it was all pretty insipid, bland stuff.
Here, the commercial element is unfortunately prevalent. The voices sound auto-tuned. I find the vocals nice enough, but just a bit shallow and 'samey' throughout, and in 'bring on the night', I hate the I'll miss you...'FOREVAAA' refrain, cringeworthy. The first half of the album is especially monotonous, with each song sounding much like the last, with 'unconditional' especially terrible, the rest being admittedly pleasant enough.
I like the second side much better, it is more melodic and looks back to their roots. Ellis Island is a nice piano piece, with some effective percussion. 'Gerry's reel' really harks back to the old days, with the tin whistle and violin. 'Catch me when I fall' is a melodic ballad that does not mindlessly conform. I really like 'harmony' too, great percussion and a fantastic lead vocal, with some more prominent acoustic guitar for once. This is definitely one of the best tracks on the album, although the end does sound a bit like 'saviours day' by Cliff Richard; not that that's such a bad thing. Stay/With me stay is ok, just nothing too interesting.
Personally, I'd have released this as an EP:
1. Ellis Island
2. Catch me when I fall
3. Harmony
4. Gerry's Wheel
and it is a 5 star plus album!
As it is, it just about pushes the 3 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2016 10:10 PM GMT

Sheer Heart Attack [2011 Remaster]
Sheer Heart Attack [2011 Remaster]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Prog Rock Album, 13 Nov. 2015
I really like this album. I am especially fond of the progressive rock on the 2nd side of the album. It opens and closes with 'in the lap of the Gods' which sounds just like 10cc to my ears. It is mostly soft rock - with the balladry of the piano led 'dear friends' and the acoustic driven 'she makes me', which has some nice chord changes and is a really strange song. 'Bring back that Leroy Brown' is also a nod to the music of the 1920's, which Mercury would focus on more on the next two Queen albums. 'Misfire' is a great acoustic driven song by Deacon, that shows his pop sensibilities. The side ends with 'the lap of the Gods' revisited, which is a completely different song. It, as with most songs on the second side, is a ballad, driven by piano and strident electric guitar parts. It is not far removed from 'we are the champions', very anthem-like, and a very good close to the record. Typical of Queen to have their softest side of music, but amongst all that, have 'stone cold crazy', their heaviest rock piece, save perhaps, 'sheer heart attack' (the song itself). Even this, is done with a slight sarcasm. It reminds me of 10cc again, rather than the metal bands that were influenced by this. I can hear 'the second sitting for the last supper' in the beginning riff. Every single one of these songs on the second side is either quite short, or very short, but it holds together like a prog rock epic.
The first side is six songs that rocks far harder than the second side, with May's two tracks 'Brighton Rock' and 'Now I'm here'. Both are good, but don't do much for me particularly. 'Killer Queen' is such a relief and extremely melodic after the guitar-fest of the previous track. I like the interplay between bass and piano here. It's unusual for Taylor's song to begin so acoustically, 'tenement funster' is a great track with some excellent chord changes and tracked acoustic and electric guitars. The backwards guitars on this are incredible. This song is a ballad and rock song at the same time. One of the best tracks on the album. It seagues into 'flick of the wrist', which has a quirky, slow tempo to it. It is full of character and inventiveness. It moves excellently into 'lily of the valley', a beautiful piano ballad, accentuated by lovely bass playing. Mercury excels at these types of ballads.
This is without a doubt one of the best Queen albums. It has a variety of styles, all accessible and melodic and is one of the best prog rock albums ever. Highly recommended.

SODIAL(R) Pack of 12 Plain White Unbranded Table Tennis balls
SODIAL(R) Pack of 12 Plain White Unbranded Table Tennis balls
Offered by PGTA

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 19 July 2015
Rubbish balls that don't bounce.

Toto XIV
Toto XIV

5.0 out of 5 stars but when the songs are good, they are really good, 19 July 2015
This review is from: Toto XIV (Audio CD)
What a CD. I seem to be in a minority, as there are some tracks that are not my bag, but when the songs are good, they are really good. I see the album in two clear parts.
Tracks 1-5 are the upbeat part of the album.
Tracks 6-12 are the more mellow, reflective part of the album. (With track 10 fitting in the first half of the album).
Let's get the negative out of the way. I don't like 'orphan' or 'burn'. They just don't do it for me. Too corny and don't like the lyrics.
Steve Porcaro sings two songs for the first time ever on a toto CD and they are my favourite two songs here. 'The little things' is a beautiful ballad with lovely chord changes and an amazing, melodic verse, supported by cello. I love the minimalistic 'Bend' which has an unusual rhythmic backing and again, a beautiful melody. Paich sings the beautiful ballad 'all the tears that shine', what a heartfelt and lovely tune. Chinatown is a soft, jazzy song, clearly Paich written and very 'Georgy Porgy' sounding. Horns are utilised here, but tastefully and subtly. Lukather shines on the beautiful, spine chilling 'Unknown soldier', this has a progressive arrangement and complex acoustic and electric parts. However, they go really progressive in the multi-faceted and amazing 'great expectations'; from a ballad Paich opening to so many different levels, acoustic and electric parts, keyboard parts. This is an amazing track.
This is an exceptional album, it is definitely softer than 'falling in between', and more reflective. It has the best run of amazing songs (6-9, 11-12), than on any other toto album. Highly recommended,
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2015 8:08 PM BST

Gaze
Gaze
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars My controversial review, 5 April 2015
This review is from: Gaze (Audio CD)
I first heard the Beautiful south through the songs 'bell bottomed tear', 'a little time' and 'song for whoever'. They all have one thing in common. The main male vocalist is Dave Hemmingway. I really like his voice. Soft and melodic, he really carries a tune well. I am afraid Paul just cannot sing that well, he sings from the back of his throat and I find his songs less tolerable generally, but still can enjoy some. I was dismayed as I looked into their back catalogue, that Paul generally sings the lead vocals on most of their songs. This album is no different. All his songs are generally monotonous, focussed more on cynicism and sarcasm, rather than any real melody. I cannot remember the melodies at all. The good songs are all Dave's and the one lead vocal by the new recruit, Alison. Dave's tracks are tuneful and melodic. 'The last waltz' and 'Sailing solo' stay in the mind well after listening. But the real travesty is that there is a bonus track (Why it couldn't be a separate track is beyond me), that is generally titled 'loneliness' and this is also sung by Dave and as good as anything else on the album. 'Half of him' the song sung by Alison is also a lovely ballad and she does a generally acceptable job. There is such promise, but I think I would be a real fan if the roles were reversed and Dave sung most of the songs and Paul's out of tune warbling that would fit a country album better should be limited to just a couple of tracks per album.

Ladies Official Disney Long Sleeved Fleece Dalmation Pyjamas. Pink Top, White Dalmation Print Bottoms. Sizes 8-10 12-14 16-18 20-22 (12-14)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and cosy, 7 Feb. 2015
My wife loves it.

Kilroy Was Here
Kilroy Was Here
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy Shaw excels here with two beautiful ballads I can't get out of my head, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Kilroy Was Here (Audio CD)
Tommy Shaw excels here with two beautiful ballads I can't get out of my head. 'Haven't we been here before' is astonishing in its beauty and harmonies. 'If I just get through this night' is no less gorgeous. I love 'Don't let it end' a brilliant styx ballad in De Young's normal style. J. young also writes what I believe to be his best song in 'heavy metal poisoning', it really works with his bass/baritone voice. I think this is one of their best albums, and unfairly maligned by others.

Revolution: making of the Beatles' White Album (The Vinyl Frontier)
Revolution: making of the Beatles' White Album (The Vinyl Frontier)
by David Quantick

3.0 out of 5 stars that is a waste of time, 7 Feb. 2015
Interesting account of the making of the White album, but a bit biased against Paul's more whimsical songs, and totally inept in praising 'Revolution 9'. Now, I have nothing against sound collages, done plenty myself, but when you take the samples from the library and use those, that is a waste of time. To be truly original, they should have made the whole thing themselves, then I would have given it its credit!

Army [CD 2]
Army [CD 2]
Offered by CDandVinyl

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent single with two non album tracks, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Army [CD 2] (Audio CD)
Excellent single with two non album tracks, that leave you wondering, why were they left off the original album, when they are so good and demonstrate songwriting of the other members of Ben Folds Five?|

Beatlesongs
Beatlesongs

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, dying to be updated!, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Beatlesongs (Kindle Edition)
An excellent book in some respects, attempting to decipher which of the Beatles contributed what to each Beatle song. I like the idea and I really like the way the book is laid out. However, it is in need of some updating, as it has come to light, since this book was written that in interviews held with Paul, he contributed more to the songwriting than was originally believed, and much of Dowding's information comes from interviews with Lennon, who was not always reliable with his recollection of events. He claimed to have written 'Two of us', which is a fallacy and claimed to have written much of the lyric to Eleanor Rigby, when it is generally believed he contributed as much as the other Beatles. Dowding claims that Lennon outwrote McCartney at the start of the Beatles, which is certainly true. He then claims McCartney outwrote Lennon in the middle of their tenure, but Lennon slightly outwrote McCartney for the final years? This is inaccurate. Paul clearly outwrites John on Abbey Road and on Let it Be, 'one after 909' is a song from around 1960 and I've got a feeling is not a 50-50 collaboration; it is a Paul song, with a Lennon middle part. Also, he attributes 'wait' to both of them, but Paul recalls this as his song completely.
Moreover, he assigns parts of songs to other people that makes no sense. Lennon may have contributed a couple of lines to Harrison's 'taxman', that does not amount to writing 10% of the song! I think the attention to detail here is a bit misplaced. 'Piggies' gets a 0.05% writing credit? No, that is ridiculous.
There are also inaccuracies, for example: Harrison played violin on 'Don't pass me by'? No, it wasn't!
There is also an ongoing dispute as to who wrote 'in my life'. According to Macca, it is a 50-50 split, he wrote the tune, John the lyrics. Now, if that is the case, it would be the first Beatles song I know of, where one is the lyricist and one writes the melody. Also, would John really let Paul write the melody to something that he was so proud to have written? on the other hand, it does have McCartney's melodic side in the tune, and Lennon was known to be wrong about songs in the past.
In his final verdict, Lennon wrote around 10 more songs than McCartney. This book should be rewritten and take into account the new evidence and make a new, updated tally. By my calculations, it would be extremely close....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10