Profile for grenerousgrace > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Trend Following: Learn to Make Millions in Up or Down Markets
Trend Following: Learn to Make Millions in Up or Down Markets
by Michael W. Covel

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great read. It will open you eyes to the ..., 8 Nov 2014
This is a great read. It will open you eyes to the amazing possibilities of trend following as a viable strategy with proven verified results. I've read many books on trading and this is one of the best, no filler pages or unhelpful irrelevant information. No...this gives you the facts and the possible potential rewards coupled with the power of compounding gains over a number of years.

It also honestly prepares you for the inevitable draw-downs, so no pie in the sky sugar coating. Just facts! Do yourself a favour and buy the book.

Toshiba Excite Pro 10.1-inch Tablet (NVIDIA Tegra 4 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB Memory, Android 4.2)
Offered by eZee Trade

2.0 out of 5 stars Overheating on back cover so I had to return for refund.....a pity though, 24 Feb 2014
The tablet could have been a 5 star if the intense heat on the back cover was not there. It was so hot you could not comfortably hold the tablet around that area. It just seemed that medium term the heat could likely damage the internal electronic components and I was not willing to take that chance, so I returned the tablet for a refund. I have since bought a samsung galaxy note 10.1 tablet and although I preferred the Toshiba (except for overheating of course) the samsung has no overheating problems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 1:52 PM GMT

Forex Price Action Scalping: an in-depth look into the field of professional scalping
by Bob Volman

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid ideas but too repetitive, 3 Dec 2013
Good advice in a easy to read style. I thought a few chapters pressed the point to exhaustion so I found it hard going to finish. That said the overall concept of "double pressure" or as others might call "trapped Traders" overflow is something I think has a lot of merit. It would have been good for some more Money Management details. For the Money and compared to the books out there I'd say buy, read, ponder, learn........

Boomerang: The Meltdown Tour
Boomerang: The Meltdown Tour
by Michael Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Insight and humour laced with shocking truth, 19 Dec 2011
This is a great read. Lots of interesting observations that to begin with seem down right odd but eventual shed light on the subject. From fisherman to monks to German toilet habits....!!!! you will be pulled to read another and then another page. Under the sprinkling of humour there are concerning facts that should make us all ponder the future and our greed.

One Good Trade: Inside the Highly Competitive World of Proprietary Trading (Wiley Trading)
by Mike Bellafiore

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing read, 30 Oct 2011
I was looking forward to this as I trade full-time and was interested to see how others in the same position as I am operate. But I was disappointed. The author makes much of himself at every opportunity and the nicknames and sport references are tiresome after the hundredth time. These guys trade stocks so if you are like me a Forex / Oil trader it also is a bit less relevant. This could have been a very informative book allowing us a glimpse into the world of prop trading but I left the book with a lingering sense that this was a marketing strategy for his company and an conduit for the author's high opinion of himself to overflow. The arrogant pride the author exhibited I found distasteful and it has to be in the bottom few of all the trading books I have read. This surprised me as this was a book I had looked forward to reading from the first time I heard about it.

Its not all negative though and there are some helpful general trading points that we all would do well to heed.

Unless you can pick up a used copy for cheap money in the marketplace (that's where mine is going) as I did, don't waste your money or time on this book.........

Select Healthy Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000mg - 360 Capsules - UK Sourced - High strength Omega 3
Offered by selecthealthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 30 Oct 2011
Why spend more on a fancy packaged Holland and Holland product when this is exactly the same for less. Fast delivery, I received mine within 3 days of order and does the job perfectly.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 12:59 AM GMT

Dumb Money: Adventures of a Day Trader
Dumb Money: Adventures of a Day Trader
by Joey Anuff

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 9 Jun 2011
This not a book full of set-ups but more of a "fly-on-the-wall" type effort. I enjoyed the authors style and a good book to take on the train with you or a light holiday read.

Day Trading and Swing Trading the Currency Market: Technical and Fundamental Strategies to Profit from Market Moves (Wiley Trading)
by Kathy Lien

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 9 Jun 2011
I was looking forward to this book but found it full of old material and poor Money Mangement rules. Spend your money elsewhere.

A Prisoner of Birth
A Prisoner of Birth
by Jeffrey Archer

5.0 out of 5 stars My Second book by Archer and it was stunning...!!!, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: A Prisoner of Birth (Paperback)
I'm not normally a novel or fictional reader but after enjoying "Shall We Tell The President" by J Archer, my first novel for about 500 books, I had to read another. I was not disappointed this is a fantastic read and I could not think of a better way to introduce anyone like me who thought novels were a bit of a time waster to see the error of their ways:-)

Position Trading: Buy Like a Trader and Hold Like an Investor (UK & International Edition)
by Tony Loton

4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile place to begin your trading journey., 26 Nov 2010
I bought this book after reading on the author's website that last year he made approximately 3000% profit on his starting capital in six months using this strategy. I was intrigued and naturally the 3000% was a good marketing hook. I have no reason to doubt the results are genuine and I'm happy to accept these as presented. We need to remember though, that was last year, so how have things progressed this year since that spectacular beginning on which much of the appeal of this strategy is based? I assume most of us will agree this is a fair question to ask and not unreasonable? In fact I'd go further, the more seemingly "too good to be true" any financial claim is, the more careful and probing your evaluation needs to be. Remember you'll be placing your hard earn cash on someone else's claims if you decide to copy his trading methods. Thankfully the author himself has graciously allowed us an inside look via his website that tracks his performance. This is to be commended and refreshing to see, indeed others could learn from his example.

This year (since Jan 2010) the author's strategy has lost 45% of its capital as of 31 October 2010 and it has been both better and worse than that, quite a roller coaster ride. Just look at the chart and trading records on the author's website that monitors his capital and performance. But in fairness this needs to be set alongside the fact that the author has only used a small portion of the profit he accumulated last year, so in fact the strategy overall is still well in profit. Indeed he took £600 to £18,000 last year and even with this year's 45% loss on his £1500 capital he is still approximately £17,250 in profit. Not bad...! Of course the years not over yet and the author could have a great run of winning trades from now to the end of the year and end this year in profit as well. It's certainly possible. We need to remember, not every strategy suits everyone's temperament. You need to ask yourself could you emotionally sustain this large draw-down (45% of your capital) and keep on placing trades.

The author places small testing/probing trades after a share has had a significant fall, the trade size is usually at the £1 per point level and a stop loss depending on the Shares price usually in single figure's or low teens somewhere between £5 -15. When or if, he is stopped out for a small loss he then quite often (not always) buys back into the same share at a later date when the Share has dropped further in price. His reason - he believes this is even a better bargain now as it's at a discount to what he paid before. This in trading terms is a variant of what is known as "averaging down" and many would consider this on the risky side of money management. To balance this, the author uses his method of "pyramiding" or "adding to" a profitable position. So the numerous small losses could be absorbed by adding to a winning position when you have managed to catch the bottom. If handled with care, discipline and strict risk and money management rules this "pyramiding" can be a valid and profitable option. So you need to decide if having more small losing trades offset with fewer larger winning trades is emotionally for you, only you can decide. An aspect that could be looked at is the author only takes trades on the long/buy side and this could be adapted to allow for incorporating short/selling trades as well. This "could" make a positive difference allowing you to take advantage in both bear and bull market conditions.

One thing I must say about the author in my desire to be fair and balanced and I applaud him for this, is his willingness to be honest and transparent in showing us the good and the bad trades. I genuinely admire this aspect of his character as very few have the courage to admit when things are not going in the direction they had wished. Also he writes well and presents his materials in a clear easy to read fashion. In fact I grew to like the author as I progressed through the book, he is friendly and there is a flavour of humility in his writing.

You might be able to "play" with this strategy using a small account and not mind the losses or draw-downs since your starting capital is modest but once you increase your starting capital to something more significant the emotional effect of these hefty draw-downs could, in some people, severely dent their motivation and confidence to continue to trade. The author wisely advises using only a portion of you trading capital on this strategy and you should heed this advice. But, we all to some degree struggle with greed, and with the tantalizing carrot of a 3000% return on your capital in 6 months when your average building society account is drip feeding you a couple of % per year will all play safe with risking a small portion of their capital? Maybe - maybe not :-)

Some very helpful aspects of this book are that it gives you a plan to trade. This is vital. You are encouraged to use stop losses to keep your losing trades small. On winning trades you are instructed how to add to your position without adding risk, this is a neglected aspect of trading that can reap great rewards when handed as the author details.

This is a mixed review but leaning to the positive..... should you buy this book.....YES.....why? With the emphasis of using stop losses you will be able to stay in the game for a sustained period as you learn and if you hit a good run of winners this could quickly add up as in the authors first trading year. You will probably need to adapt this strategy as you make trades and find out for yourself how this method suits your own personality. As I say earlier the author trades his real (not demo) account live for all to see, believe me this is very unusual within the trading world where scams and unsubstantiated claims abound. He is an author who actually trades. Many of the books/webinars, seminars/DVDs on trading are by authors who do not even trade themselves, and I know of no one who places their results consistently in the open. This is a big plus point for me, it shows integrity and transparency. You can also interact with the author via his website.

Overall I think the author had a great first year, the market suited his strategy. No doubt about it, credit where credits due, a 3000% return is fantastic, in fact truly amazing, congratulations! Sure it's not perfect, because that doesn't exist in real trading. Treat it carefully, use a modest portion of your capital, utilise stops, begin with a maximum £1 per point position size and enjoy the learning curve. Be prepared to accept a draw-down on your capital but also with the possibility of landing some big winners. For a few £'s buy the book and get all the web based info, updates and help for free.

Page: 1 | 2