Profile for Chatwin's PencilCase > Reviews

Content by Chatwin's Penc...

Chatwin's PencilCase (Chichester, uk)

Boxer
Boxer
Price: 7.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 6 July 2007
This review is from: Boxer (Audio CD)
This is easily the best album I've heard this year, or in recent years for that matter (its up there with Tv on the Radio's Return to Cookie Mountain),the songs Fake Empire, Mistaken for Strangers,Apartment Story and Start a War and the rest have reaffirmed my belief in music and that there is actually an intelligent,mature band making music to get excited about.People have mentioned them sounding like Arcade Fire, I think its more a case of sharing some of the same influences really. I'd say they sound a little bit like Leonard Cohen singing with Interpol(bass and drum sound-wise),with elements of Pulp, Joy Division and Springsteen(Nebraska). But the great thing is they don't sound too much like any of those bands,but have a very subtle,unique sound that is the best thing I've heard since Funeral.

Spiderland
Spiderland

3.0 out of 5 stars certainly influential but not a masterpiece, 6 July 2007
This review is from: Spiderland (Audio CD)
Like everyone else I agree that Good Morning Captain is a superb piece of music-easily better than most of rubbish that gets released today, but I feel that as an album it doesn't merit the praise heaped upon it. Don't get me wrong- it has its moments- but its not quite a 'Loveless' or 'Mellan Collie...'or even 'Earth is not a cold dead place'. To be fair it was only recorded over two weekends (which is an achievement in itself)and it shows.Its worth a listen but not a regular straight through player.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2008 9:35 PM BST

The Historian
The Historian
by Elizabeth Kostova
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit panto........., 6 July 2007
This review is from: The Historian (Paperback)
Initially, the premise of an contemporary take on the Dracula story drew my interest (having just finished reading Mcnally and Florescu's factual account of the life of Dracula)then having read good reviews for the book I was fooled into buying it and then spent many hours trying to get into it.What I'd hoped would be a fantastic book ended up being utter trash. I thought the villains (with cheesy trademark bitemarks on the neck)were one dimenional and very panto(boo!hiss!)and the main part of the novel very slow and uneventful. If you're at all interested in the Dracula story read anything on the subject by Mcnally and Florescu - the fact is more interesting and terrifying than the fiction!