Profile for James W. McCue > Reviews

Content by James W. McCue

James W. McCue (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Flixster
Flixster

4.0 out of 5 stars A Handy App, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Flixster (App)
I mainly use the Flixster app to watch my UV movies and check movie reviews. The layout could be better (on the Kindle Fire HDX) as the stars to rate movies aren't fully on the screen and I struggle to navigate to what I want from time to time.

On the whole, a good app with minor issues.

New Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7 inch 7" 2013 & Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 inch 8.9" 2013 (ALL Model Versions - 16GB, 32GB & 64GB Wi-Fi + 4G LTE) RED Multi-Function Leather SMART FOLIO Front & Back Case / Smart Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Premium SLIM Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Screen Protector Shield Guard & Amazon Kindle Fire HDX Tablet Red Stylus Pen Accessory Accessories Pack by efonebits® (Kindle Fire HDX 7", Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect except for the magnets., 11 Jan 2014
This is a good quality cover for the Kindle HDX. The only flaw I have found is that the magnets, which keep the cover closed, turn the screen off when it is closed or tucked back in behind the kindle when in use. I managed to remove them without damaging it too much and will continue using it. There are two small magnets in the corners and another, the suspected culprit, around half way down and a third way in to the cover.

Winnie The Pooh - The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh [DVD]
Winnie The Pooh - The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh [DVD]
Dvd ~ Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Gem, 4 Nov 2013
I grew up on Winnie the Pooh, as I'm sure many people have, and I bought this as a gift for my Dad (he asked for it, lol). I watched it with him recently and was taken aback when I realised I was enjoying it every bit as much as I did as a child. If anything I was getting more out of it now than I did then. The animation is superb, the characters are all amazing in their own way and the script and voice acting is phenomenal, which is something I didn't pick up on in my younger days. A good example of this is the character Gopher ("He's not in the book") when he tells Winnie the Pooh, "You should do something about that speech impediment, Sonny!" while whistling through his teeth on the S's and T's.

Aside from the unrivalled work done by some of the Disney animation greats (Milt Kahl, Ollie Johnston, Frank Thomas etc), Winnie the Pooh has something for kids that's rarely seen nowadays and I think it's the respect given to the them by ensuring they are getting the best possible end product. It is what has set Disney above all the others for nearly 100 years and I can honestly say 'The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh' is up there with the best animations they have ever created.

Cuthbert Was Bored
Cuthbert Was Bored
by Uli Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good as it Gets, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Cuthbert Was Bored (Hardcover)
I bought 'Cuthbert Was Bored' as a gift for my nephew after a recommendation from a friend. The artwork is stunning (which was the main reason my friend suggested it as a character designer) and I was surprised at how much a child could learn from the story and how much it can inspire their imagination. You can see each character has their own distinct personality as soon as you turn the page and the backgrounds are full of life without taking anything away from the characters, as I'm sure you can see in the main image for the product.

It's a rare thing to get a book with a good story and excellent artwork to match and it's one that kids will want to go back to over and over again.

Sweet Paris: A Love Affair with Parisian Chocolate, Pastries and Desserts
Sweet Paris: A Love Affair with Parisian Chocolate, Pastries and Desserts
by Michael Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars A taste of Paris., 26 Feb 2013
I bought this for my wife after a trip to Paris. Not only does it analyse what is so special about Parisienne patisserie, it also evokes what is so special about Paris.

As baking has become more and more popular over the last year or two, some are branching out from cupcakes etc and are looking for something fresh, new, creative and of a higher standard. If you are, you won't go wrong with this book. It not only details how to recreate some of the the popular items you will find in a patisserie, but it shows you the French way of creating them which is, undeniably, the best.

Walt Disney Animation Studios The Archive Series
Walt Disney Animation Studios The Archive Series
by Pete Docter

5.0 out of 5 stars Flippin' wonderful!, 26 Feb 2013
When you first hold the box of flip books you know you're holding a thing of quality. To see the brilliance of Milt Kahl and the sheer amount of personality Ollie Johnson can give a character, all at your own pace, is simply awe inspiring. The books are worth far more than they are available for so if you are an animator or animation fan and you're considering buying, please do. They are worth every penny and then some.

There's just something special about seeing their work in pencil form. I think I'll go and have another look through them now.

Disney Sketchbook, A
Disney Sketchbook, A
by Ken Shue

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like a real sketchbook, only it's Disney., 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Disney Sketchbook, A (Hardcover)
Right away you notice the size of the book (each page is roughly A3 in size) and how good the quality of the print is. There's a print of a pencil sketch of The Beast, from Beauty and the Beast, spread over two pages and when I pressed down on the spine of the book to get a better look, I found my hand had lifted up in the air for fear of smudging the image in a jerk reaction.

The layout of the book is also interesting. It's made up like a full sketchbook would be. The images almost seem randomly placed and the only text is in the form of a foreword, introduction and notes which accompany a few character designs.

The introduction mentions that they wanted to create a sketchbook you would think had been handed down over the years, from animator to animator, and they have done exceptionally well in achieving this. You just feel like you're getting a rare insight to the inner workings of the master animators as you go from sketch to sketch.

I could also mention the personality, weight etc put into each drawing but I think it would be defeating the point of the book as you should really see it for yourself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2013 5:17 PM BST

Derwent Big Book A5 Hard Back Sketch Book, Wire Bound Spine, 86 Sheets of Perforated Acid Free 110gsm Paper

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little sketch book., 20 Nov 2012
Good, solid, protective cover and the paper is thick enough to use both sides of the paper but not so thick that it feels chunky and clumsy. The paper also has a serrated edge that runs down the side of the spiral wire bound so individual pages can be removed neatly.

It's not much of a fault, but a good tip is to turn the book to use one side at a time (as opposed to having it opened out in front of you) to minimize the amount the spiral wire gets in the way of your hand. If you do this it shouldn't be a problem.

Probably the best sketch book I've ever had.

Animated Performance: Bringing Imaginary Animal, Human and Fantasy Characters to Life (Required Reading Range)
by Lynn Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem of a book that every animator should have., 18 Oct 2012
I ordered this book after seeing a review given at skwigly.co.uk and it instantly made it to the top of my most wanted list. Now that I own it I am glad that I do. I strive to be a better animator every day and this has really pushed the levels I expect from my own work. It may sound like the basics, but the importance of thumb-nailing is really emphasised in this book as a way planning your animated performance and it shows how it differs from storyboarding, which, until now, I have always seen to be the same thing.

The author, Nancy Beiman, has been at the top of animation for years, being one of the first students in the famous A113 class with Brad Bird, John Lasseter, John Musker, Tim Burton etc before going on to work with Disney, Warner Bros and other well respected studios. So you don't need to worry about the credibility of the information given.

I thoroughly recommend this book to all animators as, aside from the knowledge contained within, it is put across in a way which makes it clear to understand and you can almost feel it in your brain that you are improving with each chapter.

5 Star Office Noticeboard Cork with Pine Frame W900xH600mm
5 Star Office Noticeboard Cork with Pine Frame W900xH600mm
Offered by Ideal Office Supplies Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nicely, 17 Aug 2010
Item arrived quickly and was larger than I expected which was a good thing (I'd say you could get around 10 A4 sheets spread out on it with just a wee bit of overlapping). Only minor gripe is with the frame because bends along the longer parts with little persuasion. All in all, a good buy.

Page: 1 | 2