ARRAY(0xb51150a8)

Over the Gate
Over the Gate
Price: 3.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia trip, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Over the Gate (MP3 Download)
oh my - I listened to this as a child! My mum had a copy of the 45 from her own youth and between us we could quote most of the sketches. It is a very gentle humour, and it maybe has not travelled well into the 21st Century, but what a joy to hear it again - a visit to a world I thought long lost.

The quality is very much what you might have expected from an old recording - and frankly, I think it is none the worse for that.

"It's wonderful what God can do in a garden - arr, but you should have seed it when he had it to hisself..."

Fujifilm FinePix T200 Digital Camera - Gunmetalic (14MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD Screen
Offered by Electronics UK
Price: 84.99

3.0 out of 5 stars After a year..., 30 Jun 2013
I had my camera for over a year and have been moderately happy with it. I found early on that I needed to carry a spare, charged, battery because it seems to just munch through the battery in a couple of days of serious use (unlike my previous AA-run Fuji, which needed new batteries maybe annually). But, a bit of forethought means that's not too much of a problem. (I bought a branded Fuji battery. More expensive than some, but I wasn't taking any chances. It's fine, they both hold their charge for a long time in the case and have never gone flat while waiting to be used.)

I like the features, although it does sometime take a while to agree with me on what it should focus on (doesn't approve if I'm feeling "arty"). There is also an issue with the placement of the "wheel" that you use to select the mode of photo - it does often move round by itself when I remove it from its case. This was noted in a previous review before I bought it, and I must admit I thought they might be a bit careless... my apologies, therefore, because I'm being careful and it is doing it to me!

However, recently there seems to be a fuzzy patch appearing on the bottom right of the landscape photo, and I'm not sure if that is not just a feature with all compacts these days when they try too hard to be too clever, but I am thinking of getting another camera - not what I'd planned to do so soon, since the previous one I'd had for about 5 years. (The picture quality went on that one as well in the end.) Since it will cost about as much as a new camera to have this fault looked at, I'm prepared to press on with it for a bit.

I have an Olympus bridge-type camera for days when I want to take proper pictures and that is not only a fab camera, but the AA batteries go on and on and on... I think it might be an Olympus compact for me next time I want a point and shoot for my handbag.

Lowepro Apex 100 AW Shoulder Bag for Digital Cameras/Camcorders - Black
Lowepro Apex 100 AW Shoulder Bag for Digital Cameras/Camcorders - Black
Offered by fotoSENSE_Ltd
Price: 23.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits the Olympus SP820UZ, 16 Feb 2013
Super bag! Sturdy, fits the camera snugly, useful inside pockets. Like the fact you can cover it too if you get caught out by a shower.

Olympus SP-820UZ Compact Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 40x Wide Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD Screen
Offered by The Camera Centre
Price: 149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying my camera!, 16 Feb 2013
Have to say, I'm finding this very easy to get to grips with. Having been a Fuji girl for some years, I found it quite easy to busk my way round the main settings (although it did help that I tried - and indeed bought - this from a Proper Shop with a nice man to talk me through it! John Lewis - thank you very much!)

Someone else commented on batteries falling out - there is a tiny switch on the cover for that which locks it in place, and after emptying the batteries all over the floor in the shop to everyone's surprise, we applied it and it has not happened since!

I'm using "ordinary" superduper strength AA batteries at the moment and they are lasting a whole lot longer than the rechargeable thing in my last (current) Fuji T200 - which sometimes barely lasts two days of use, so I always have to carry a charged spare.

I will add to the review when I've had more use - but the first few photos are very pleasing. Good zoom, good macros; so far the quality of the pics is looking good. Not so enormously bulky and heavy to carry either - not for those of us who carried a film camera with a zoom lens 20 years ago, anyway!

I have a Lowepro case which fits it very snugly, and has a waterproof covering and inside pockets for the important little bits. (This came from John Lewis too who were doing a nice price on it.) Lowepro Apex 100AW Shoulder Bag For Digital Cameras/Camcorders - Black

[update early March 13 - still on the same set of batteries. Haven't used it a huge amount, as the weather's been so lousy, but when I have I think I've easily used one or more Fuji-rechargeables' worth, so I'm very impressed. Also with the help of a tripod and the delay mode, took some good photos of the moon!]

Roberts ECO1BK Ecologic 1 DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio with Built-in Battery Charger - Black
Price: 47.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little radio, 24 Jan 2013
Managed to get this working easily enough without resorting to the manual; READ the manual and discovered there is a microscopic switch in the battery compartment which has to be turned to the right if you're using rechargeables (which I am - Duracell ones) and to the left if using ordinary ones. The batteries I bought had sufficient charge to get the radio up and running, and I have now fully charged them and will see how they hold.

I must have different ears, or different expectations, to other reviewers as it sounds just fine to me! To be honest, if you want something to LISTEN to music in great depth, then you should probably go to a shop - if there are any electrical retailers left - and listen to a few models and you may decide buy something a lot more expensive than this, with expensive speakers.

If, however, you want something to put in the bathroom or the kitchen or just round the house generally, then this will do the job nicely. I have a little Sony DAB which also runs off batteries or mains, but it did eat batteries and therefore I leave it plugged in all the time. (If you turn it off at the mains it forgets the presets.) The attraction with this was that you can recharge the batteries in the radio. I will update at a later date as to whether that has been a success.

It also will take an earpiece, which seems to work fine for me too.

Update - June 2013 - very happy with this radio, and the only down side is that it doesn't give you much notice when it's about to go flat! So, I keep my little portable radio handy for those moments when I have to take this one away and plug it in to recharge in another room. (You still can't beat the old-fashioned AM-FM radios for longevity on two AA batteries...)

Fujifilm NP-45A Genuine Li-Ion Battery for FinePix.
Fujifilm NP-45A Genuine Li-Ion Battery for FinePix.
Offered by Glaxio
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine product, 15 Sep 2012
Arrived quickly from this supplier and is identical to the one that came in my Fujifilm T200 camera.
More to the point it holds charge just as well as that one. I was dubious about buying non-genuine Fuji batteries.

The downside, of course, is not the battery as such, merely the fact that the T200 munches battery!! A spare seems to be essential...

Nokia C2-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone 3G - Black
Nokia C2-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone 3G - Black
Offered by Technomobiles
Price: 68.48

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Phone!, 17 Aug 2012
It's not a life-style, it's not a tv or a computer, it's a phone. Make calls, send texts, take some pictures if you've forgotten your proper camera...

I've just upgraded my Nokia C1-01 after a couple of years because the camera was frankly pants (it's a VGA - which means it takes the equivalent of computer monitor type pictures), and I discovered that I actually used it more than I thought (ie I thought I wouldn't!) The C2-01 has a 3.2meg camera and it takes pictures that look acceptable so far. If I'm going somewhere that requires proper photos, I take my real camera!

Everything else is much as the C1-01 - simple-to-use Nokia software if you're a long-term Nokia user like me, it feels more solid than the C1 - the keys are better, room for a microchip (as per the C1)... I'll up-date when I know if the battery life was like the previous (charged the C1 about once a week - I'm not a high user!). The best improvement for me is that in the calendar mode, you can actually read the notes and reminders for the day from the month screen without having to go into each day.

So far this has worked straight from the box - people with problems are hopefully in the minority and it is down to the individual phone, not the product as a whole.

I'm not ready for the whole smart phone business; currently I quite like the way I can just pop this in my pocket and keep in touch, and I'm also not organised enough to remember to charge a phone every night. I have to say I wish I'd bought this instead of the C1 in the first place (and frankly that's mainly as regards the camera), but there you go!

To sum up, if you want a neat phone to keep in touch with people, as opposed to a mini computer to play around with, this might be the one for you.

Updated - Feb 2013: I charge this about twice a week - sometimes more if I've been using the camera a bit, or listening to music on it. I've added a 16mg memory card and have now something of a "playlist" on there. It's not a ipod, it's not a music machine - but it's very adequate for plugging into the car or listening to while my daughter has a swimming lesson! The photos are averagely good - way better than the previous camera, and very acceptable if you are not too demanding. More important of course, is that I can RING people on it. I've even managed to drop it once with no ill-effect. (Not recommended, obviously.)

by Pamela Brown
Price: 6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Swish Uncut!, 24 May 2012
I have copy of this from my youth (with a picture of the BBCtv cast circa 1980 on the front!). This was one of my favourite books as a child. Having only recently discovered that Pamela Brown wrote more, I then discovered there was the "cut/uncut" debate. This version is, I can assure you, the original - it arrived yesterday, I sat up half the night reading it and oh! So much was missing from my original! The shillings and pence are here and a whole two chapters worth of Nativity play. (Can't think why it was cut from my old copy, unless mine was based on the tv production and that scene had been removed.)

It is a lovely inspiring story of 7 children, longing to act and finding ways to go about it.

Anyway - I highly recommend it for youngsters - who I don't think are that fazed by a story set slightly in the past; I think it's rather insulting to assume that just because you're 8 you can't cope with a setting that is not NOW. Let's level up, not down!

The Swish of the Curtain

Official Dorset Guide (Compass Miniguides) (PopOut Guide)
Official Dorset Guide (Compass Miniguides) (PopOut Guide)
by Compass Maps
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Mini by name..., 24 Mar 2012
There's not much out there in the way of guides for Dorset - it seems to fall (literally, as well as physically) between Devon and Hampshire/New Forest guides, and I struggled to find an update for my 20 year old AA guide to Wessex.

Now this is a very mini guide and, while it has given me some good ideas for my forthcoming trip, there is not much detail and I'm guessing I will do just as well by going into an Information Centre when I get to Dorchester.

It splits Dorset into regions, lists some of the major interests, has a few (small) pretty pictures, and there is a handy little fold-out map as well. It also gives website details, so you would get current opening times for attractions.

So, it's a good place to start, but it is only a start.

(Meanwhile, come on AA Guides, get your typewriters and cameras out and give me a nice updated guide to Wessex in the style of your New Forest and Devon books!)

My Kitchen Table: 100 Cakes and Bakes
My Kitchen Table: 100 Cakes and Bakes
by Mary Berry
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowser!, 24 Jan 2012
Just made possibly the best ever ever chocolate fudge cake from Mary Berry's recipe!

I've tried a couple of recipes since this book arrived last week, not dissimilar to family ones, and they have come out as corkers! They clearly have been well tried and tested, and the little testers in my house are very keen to try some more.

The instructions are very clear and simple and I like the general layout. Another reviewer criticised the book for not being A4, but frankly I have enough clutter and lack of space when cooking cakes with two small helpers to not want a bigger book! The photographs are good, however, and I've bigger books with smaller illustrations.

If you are looking for a simple place to start, I don't think you could do much better than with this book. And even if you've got a few years of baking under your belt, I think these recipes won't disappoint.

I'm planning on some more baking very soon, thank you Mary.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5