Profile for The Curious Wanderer > Reviews

Content by The Curious Wa...

The Curious Wanderer (London, UK)

The Shaman in Stilettos
The Shaman in Stilettos
by Anna Hunt

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like Sophie Kinsella, you'll love this., 24 Nov. 2012
When I initially saw the ratings for this book on Amazon, I was a bit surprised. Only glowing five-star reviews? Delving a bit deeper, I found some not-so-glowing reviews on Goodreads. Though these made me hesitant, as fascinated as I am by shamanism, I decided to purchase the book anyway.

My disappointment in this book has prompted me to write my first-ever Amazon review. Lighter reading I expected, but not THIS light. I'm sure that Ms. Hunt is an intelligent and sincere shaman who takes her work seriously, but this does not come across in her writing. The story does not flow or unfold. It simply plods along, with chapters ending in trite summations. Rather than feeling inspired by her transformation, we are distracted by the sort of stereotypical female psychosis you might expect from the latest Sophie Kinsella novel.

I appreciate that Ms. Hunt was attempting to make shamanism accessible to the layperson, but it feels far too dumbed down. Not inspiring. Not empowering. Some will appreciate her candor and the no-holds-barred approach to her learning (namely, her obsession with her mentor). I, however, found myself at the end of the novel feeling very let down.

For those who like popular chick lit, have a go. For those interested in shamanism, look elsewhere.