Profile for Pixiegit7 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Shangri-La Part 1 [DVD]
Shangri-La Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Makoto Bessho

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Storyline, Brilliant Graphics.. 19 May 013, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Shangri-La Part 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Hey,

I watched Shangri-La recently online and enjoyed it greatly. Other reviewers have said plenty about the story so I'll keep this brief.
Kuniko is another of the recent strong young female heroes we've been getting since Studio Ghibli made inroads with such characters as Princess Nausicaa, and Chiriko in 'Spirited Away'.. surely a very positive sign to see strong female leads like this. Then there's Kuniko's transvestite substitute parent Momoko.. they're really breaking the mould here then eh!

The story is typical post-apocalyptic fare that the Japanese do so well, the dystopian future where a small elite rules from an ivory tower while the mass of humanity ekes out a meagre living in the toxic lower levels. There are some new elements here as well though, the strange underground cult whose oracle uses up the lives of young people to support the elite.. grisly stuff.

Anyway, all-in-all it's a worthwhile and engaging story with good graphics, some gut-wrenching scenes coupled with quite a few laugh out loud moments and a lot of well-drawn characters. Like someone else here said, it felt a bit hurried the way it was all wrapped up in the end and I for one felt like I'd've liked maybe slightly more explanation of some of the story's elements to round it off. Still, it kept me involved and I really enjoyed watching Shangri-La.

So that's the story.. as to the package on offer here, to buy both parts, Vols 1 and 2, is gonna set you back almost 50 quid which is on the dear side. It is for a full 24 episodes so if you look at it like that it's not TOO bad.. some of the newer series are costing that much for each Vol where they're splitting a 12 parter in 2, which makes this seem reasonable on the value front. Still, it's a very good series and I'd recommend it to serious Anime fans. I give it 4 stars.. Px :))

Animation - Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. Vol.1 [Japan DVD] KABA-10215
Animation - Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. Vol.1 [Japan DVD] KABA-10215

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Magical Story, Brilliant Graphics.. 19th May 013, 19 May 2014
Hey,
I watched this series over last Winter as it came out each week and absolutely loved it! It's a charming little story about Inari, a young girl who lives near a shrine sacred to the silver fox, which is inhabited by a Goddess. Because of a granted prayer that goes rather wrong, the only way to heal Inari is for the Goddess to give her a piece of her own power, but this leads to various problems and eventually a big crisis. Meanwhile there are other deities on the sidelines, Inari's brother who alone among humans is able to see the Goddess and she in turn has a bit of a thing for him!

Of course Inari has her school-friends as well and a boy she loves from afar.. all very Japanese and what one has come to expect from such animes in fact! This particular story is very well told though and the graphics are so well realized it's a great pleasure to watch this tale unfold and I for one shed the odd tear along the way, though there are plenty of laughs too.

So I'd recommend this story to anyone who wants something pleasant and fun with a good few Life lessons in there too, very much family viewing.. I'd imagine in Japan this would be considered a 'girl's' anime! I liked it a lot though and was only disappointed that it was wrapped up in a mere 10 episodes, which is very strange as most animes are 12 as a standard length. If you're thinking of buying this set it's awful expensive for the amount that's in it.. I mean they've split it here into 2 vols so 5 episodes per set, for almost 50 quid? A bit steep for me as yet. Mind you, this series only finished airing 2 months ago so it'll prob be released in area 2 and hopefully just a DVD version in time. The present package does look very good quality though..

In conclusion, a lovely gentle schoolgirl/magical story, slice of life with gods and goddesses thrown in so what's not to like! It's a brilliant little series and I'll personally definitely watch it again and will probably buy it when the price comes down to my kinda level! 5 stars.. Recommended! Px :))

Animation - Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. Vol.2 [Japan BD] KAXA-7052
Animation - Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. Vol.2 [Japan BD] KAXA-7052

5.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Story with Excellent Graphics.. 19th May 013, 19 May 2014
Hey,

Crazy Kind of Love (DVD) (FSK 12)
Crazy Kind of Love (DVD) (FSK 12)
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, great acting, feelgood film.. 18/iv/014, 18 April 2014
Hey,

I just watched this movie online and came straight here to see if the soundtrack was available, (it isn't sadly.. it contains a lot of good music though.)
I literally stumbled upon 'Crazy Kind of Love' and thought I'd give it a shot. It starts a bit slowly with a mum in melt-down as the husband's leaving, family in crisis kind of scene.. didn't think I'd stick with the film as it started slowly, but it gradually drew me in, the acting was very convincing by a young cast and the excellent Virginia Madsen.
It's not a big budget movie but a well-told tale that shows how lives can turn around, it's hopeful and ultimately very positive and in places also extremely funny. Mainly though it's a great piece of story-telling with a good cast and well-written script. If you want a film to watch with your girlfriend/mum..whatever, this might fit the bill!

I really enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it to others. I give it 5 stars because it is a complete entity of itself, by which I mean within it's own parameters it's kinda perfect, it doesn't matter to me how low the budget or small the storyif it's that well made..
Anyway do give it a try and see what you think, hopefully you'll enjoy it too,

Cheers, Px :))

Nashville - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Nashville - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Connie Britton

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT TV SERIES, GREAT MUSIC, REALLY GOOD STORY.. 30/lll/014, 30 Mar 2014
Hey, I've been watching 'Nashville' online since Episode 1 first came out just over a year ago and I'm a huge fan of the show, even though every week is filled with nail-biting apprehension, waiting for the next dose of drama to arrive! Somehow they manage to pack so many intense storylines into each episode and it's all ongoing and cumulative.. yeah it's pretty dramatic stuff, reminds me a bit of 'Dallas' but set in the music industry.. (actually a LOT better than Dallas!)

The characters are all really well drawn and the acting of the whole cast is fantastic. The music is brilliant and likeable even if you're not a fan of country-music, just a lot of great songs. The worst part for me as a viewer has been when the network takes mid-season breaks or lays the show aside for events like the super-bowl and such and you're waiting for your next 'fix' from this tremendous saga.. excruciating! So if you're watching for the first time on DVD you can avoid all that agony of waiting, you LUCKY people!!

It's almost the end of the second series now on TV and the show continues to thrill each week with great storylines. I'm keen to purchase this boxed set soon so I'll be able to revisit the first series, it's great value too at around £20 for the set. To anyone who hasn't seen 'Nashville' yet I'd heartily recommend it as a great watch.. I've turned several friends onto it and they're even more hooked than me now! Absolutely 5 STARS, must-see. Px :))

My Neighbour Totoro [DVD]
My Neighbour Totoro [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY WONDERFUL!!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
Hey,

Nothing more to be said other than, this is simply one of the most wonderful animated films ever made. If you have children or know any kids even, you should buy this movie for them. If you don't have children you should buy a copy for yourself and then give other copies to everyone else you know, anyone who has a little spark of magic in them anyway! It's a gem of a film, as are pretty much all of Studio Ghibli's works.. if you've seen anything by them before you'll know what I mean, and if not.. you're in for a real treat so you might as well Start Here!! 5 Stars, Px :))x

Sacred Blacksmith Season 1 [DVD]
Sacred Blacksmith Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aki Toyosaki

2.0 out of 5 stars OK FOR A ONE-TIME-WATCH BUT NOTHING SPECIAL.., 28 Mar 2014
Hey, I recently finished watching 'The Sacred Blacksmith' series online. It's all swords and armour + a bit of magic in a medieval kind of setting, but though I enjoyed watching the 12 part story, I have to say it's not of the highest quality either as a story or in terms of the artwork.

The storyline doesn't have that complete 'internal logic' that the best animes possess, where, within the confines of the story everything makes sense.. there are too many loose ends here and unexplained elements. Now maybe I expect too much from a cartoon, but having seen so many brilliant anime series I've learned to be discriminating.
The graphics in this series are not of a very high standard either to my eye, there are a lot of much better examples elsewhere so I was a bit disappointed with the quality of artwork, which seemed rather clumsy in it's execution to me.. I was reminded a bit of another series 'Walkure Romanze' because of the armour etc, though WR was more fun.

Overall, although I was happy to watch 'The Sacred Blacksmith' I wouldn't be bothered to see it again as there are much better series out there. I'm gonna say only 2 stars from me, by which I mean it's pretty much average.. i've decided to be harder on star ratings cos there's a lot of 5 star product out there but this, by comparison with say Magi or SAO and other great stories, is way down the ladder of achievement. It was okay for a one-time-watch but I certainly wouldn't bother buying it.. not a keeper! 2 Star.. Px :))x

High School Dxd: Complete Series Collection [DVD]
High School Dxd: Complete Series Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yoko Hikasa

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Story.. Lot of Fun!, 25 Mar 2014
Hey, I watched this series online a couple of years ago, in 2012 I think. Other reviewers have covered the basic story well enough so I'll just stick with saying that it's a lot of fun, great graphics and characters you can't help but like. There is a lot of fanservice sure, but it's all part of the fun and always handled in a light-heated manner so it all just blends in with the general story most of the time!
I really enjoyed this series and didn't realize they've made a second series till just recently which is definitely on my 'to watch' list. I'd recommend this title to any anime fans who might not have seen it.. it has a good story and apart from devils, fallen angels etc it's incredibly funny a lot of the time. I just noticed that the set is available for a mere £12 which seems like pretty good value to me so I'll definitely be hoping to get a copy for myself as it's a series I'd like to re-watch. 5 stars from me.. Px :))

Magi - The Labyrinth Of Magic: Season 1 - Part 2 [DVD]
Magi - The Labyrinth Of Magic: Season 1 - Part 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Haruka Tomatsu

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Series, part 2, 9 Mar 2014
Hey, well the second half or this 26 part series doesn't seem to be coming out on disc till May 014 so I haven't seen the product on offer here yet, but i will comment on the story itself. I watched 'Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic' as it came out and enjoyed the storyline and characters tremendously. It's a riveting story starring Aladdin a young wizard and Ali-Baba a street-boy and their adventures as they travel together and come across various mysteries, dangers and friendships along the way. The second half of the series gets progressively dark and you begin to realize that the story is really about the struggle between good and evil, light and darkness.. old story but within a fresh and exciting setting, incorporating elements from a variety of myths and legends along the way, so typical of the world of anime one might say!

The second story arc of Magi called 'The Kingdom of Magic' is currently coming towards an end.. I've been watching it every week for several months now and it's just as good as the first series! I strongly recommend Magi to anyone who hasn't seen it yet who likes magical, fantasy anime and a good old adventure story! I have no hesitation giving the anime itself 5 stars, this package on offer I haven't seen so can't comment on how well presented it is. My only complaint at this time would be that to buy both parts on DVD will cost over £40 which is a bit steep, maybe it'll come down in time. A great story though so do check it out if you can.. along with 'Sword Art Online' one of the best series I've seen in the past 2 years or so.. 5 Stars Px :))

Waiting In The Summer: Complete Collection [DVD]
Waiting In The Summer: Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tatsuyuki Nagai

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Enjoyable Series, 21 Feb 2014
Hey, I watched 'Waiting in the Summer' recently and really enjoyed it. It's a Fantasy / Slice-of-Life story about a group of school friends on Summer break who decide to make a movie.. and the alien girl who literally crashes into their lives and makes everything different for all of them. The artwork is excellent and it's a fun story with good characters, certainly worth owning as you'll want to watch it more than once. If you like easy-going slice-of-life anime I'd say you'll enjoy this.. Recommended. 5 stars

Page: 1 | 2