Profile for Boonster > Reviews

Boonster "theboonster" (UK)

Energizer Rechargeable Universal AAA 500mAh Batteries - Pack of 4 batteries
Energizer Rechargeable Universal AAA 500mAh Batteries - Pack of 4 batteries

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent rechargeable batteries, 7 Jan 2013
After short life spans and memory problems with Uniross batteries, I switched to Energizer and have always been pleased with their performance. Like many people here, I bought them to replace batteries in my cordless phones. I have noticed that they're slightly heavier than the original 550 mAh ones but the extra capacity really does make a difference. Of course the standby and talk times have dramatically improved, but we must keep in mind that they have replaced failing batteries. Still thinking back to when the phones were new, they were good for a couple of days off the charger. Four days later it has only just dropped to the last bar. So I'm very pleased and wouldn't hesitate to recommend these.

Quest Handheld Steam Cleaner, 1000 Watt
Quest Handheld Steam Cleaner, 1000 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Steam Cleaner Vs Glass Shower Screen, 6 Jan 2013
Length:: 6:33 Mins

A video review showing the Steam Cleaner being used on a glass shower screen, so you can decide for yourself.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2014 5:11 PM BST

Nintendo Official Wii RGB SCART Cable (Wii)
Nintendo Official Wii RGB SCART Cable (Wii)
Offered by Clickforgamesltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Superior, 5 Jan 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I had trouble getting hold of one these. I think Nintendo have stopped making them. However if you use your Wii on a CRT TV, it is well worth getting one (if your TV supports RGB input).
The menus are much sharper and more details show in games. However I've started using the Wii a lot more since Lovefilm become available. It was watching films/TV that I really started to notice the blur/lack of detail with the standard lead, the RGB cable has made a dramatic improvement in quality and is now more like standard digital TV. So I'm very happy.

Fisher Space Pen Matte Black with Clip Bullet Ballpoint
Fisher Space Pen Matte Black with Clip Bullet Ballpoint
Offered by BETTER CHOICES

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG a pen that writes., 3 Aug 2012
It seems strange getting excited about a pen, but pens are huge source of annoyance for me. I work in an Ice Rink and normal ball point pens don't cut it. They some how manage to turn upside down in my pocket which is a problem for most pens, and then there's the cold temperature, the ink doesn't flow. I find my self constantly trying to get pens to write. Yes I could use a pencil, but when the grade books require blue or black ink, a pencil won't do.
This with it pressurized cartridge and an operational working temperature of -20C, this has proved flawless, and I would definitely recommend it.

Silent House [DVD]
Silent House [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Olsen
Offered by susans cosmetics

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the worst film I've ever seen *Possible Spoilers*, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: Silent House [DVD] (DVD)
I thought I'd write a quick review on this, as the only one on here was a one star. I must admit I was tempted to give it a one star, but only because the ending annoyed me. Like any other film like this, it does get a bit silly. I don't believe any reasonably fit young women couldn't smash the chipboard off the windows when in fear for her life (especially as we know there's a sledge hammer in the house), but we have to allow these things in movies like this.
There is scene where she shoots at someone at very close range yet misses, and then the gun conveniently only has 3 bullets in it, but its at this point in the movie it starts to get stupid.
I think what annoyed me, is it started off quite good, and Elizabeth Olsen can really act(unlike her sisters)so I was expecting quite a good movie.
It passes the time if you've got nothing do, but I wouldn't recommend watching it as your main movie for the evening.

From Time to Time (2009) ( Chimneys of Green Knowe )  (Blu-Ray)
From Time to Time (2009) ( Chimneys of Green Knowe ) (Blu-Ray)
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall
Offered by DH BLU

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray review, 1 May 2011
I rented this film on DVD and liked it so much, that I decided to buy it. As it is a modern film I looked for it on Blu-ray, surprisingly despite being a British film, it's not available on Blu-ray in Britain but is available in Germany (so is a region B disc). So I ordered it in from Amazon.de for 18 euros. The menu is in German but is easy enough to navigate and has an English DTS-HD soundtrack. The picture is excellent HD, however the soft glow the film uses does seem to take away some of the detail, but it is still far superior to the DVD.
So if you want to buy the film and have a Blu-ray player, it is well worth sourcing the Blu-ray.

PS-LX300USB USB Turntable
PS-LX300USB USB Turntable
Offered by Barretts Digital World

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Superb, 5 Mar 2009
When my parents separated my father left us his old Hi-Fi, which is late 60s early 70s. Although it would have been cutting edge in its day, I wasn't interested in it, because like most teenagers had already built my own powerful system. So for quarter of a century it sat unused.
However last year, I officially 'became old' when I concluded everything in the charts was utterly crap. So I started to look for 'new' music elsewhere.
My father had left an extensive record collection. So I dusted off the old Hi-Fi and put on some records (note the 30 year old Hi-Fi worked flawlessly). Not only did I like the music, I also curiously like the sound of vinyl. I'm an absolute audiophile and cannot stand imperfections, but for some reason I like records.
Eventually I questioned if they could sound better and also wanted to be able the play some the music in the car. The Sony PS-LX300USB appealed as it met my requirements, black, full size, automatic and future proof (it has a line out as well as phono. Some modern AV amps don't have phono inputs). The USB feature was an excellent bonus.
I received it in excellent time, considering it came from Germany. I had to put the turntable in and connect the drive belt, but this was quick and easy. I connected to the phono input as my amp has one and the instructions recommend it if you have one. I then played my first record, it was great from the outset, all I had to do was push the start button and it done the rest (I don't like placing the arm manually) and the sound. I could not believe the difference, I was hearing sounds I'd never heard before, the stereo is more defined and there was dramatic reduction in popping and cracking. You can easily forget you're listening to a record, even mono records are improved, they seem less flat. The player emits no hum, if the needle is off the record the speakers are silent. When the record finishes it returns the arm to its rest position and powers down.
I have only just tried the USB feature, so I can't comment too much on the software. It was easy to set up and I had no problems under Vista. The instructions are easy to follow. The software is easy to use, it walks you through the procedure step by step. It then detects the different tracks, which it asks you name. It then can auto clean up (reduce popping etc.) and level the volume. I allowed this and it definitely removed some obvious pops from the original. The software looks like it can do a lot more, but I've not had the time to play with it yet. The software can burn it to CD but I done it through iTunes as it had played the finished wav files by default.
I'm certainly not an expert in the sound of vinyl but I am very pleased with this Sony turntable and thoroughly recommend it.

Belkin AV Home Cinema Surge Protector - 8 socket, Tel/AV protection (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a huge difference., 5 Nov 2008
Recently my Mum said that her Sky+ box kept crashing. Sky has replaced numerous boxes and still they crash/fail. They are known to have cheap power supplies, which would suggest they would have no tolerance to power fluctuations. I have never ever had any trouble with my box. However my box gets its power from a Belkin PureAV Home Cinema Surge Protector, which I bought to protect my HDTV (this set up was in my Mum's house before I moved out and I had no problems). So I thought I would try one on my Mum's setup. Sure enough she hasn't experienced one problem since it went in. So they obviously do something.

I Am Legend [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
I Am Legend [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Will Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray Quality, 31 July 2008
I thought I'd write this review for the HD fans out there. As I noticed some people have given the picture quality a 5/5. However I'm sure that there are other HD purists out there like me. I hate digital compression with a passion, to the extent it dictates what channels I watch on digital TV. I really have the eye for it. Unfortunately I was detecting digital compression on this Blu-ray disc. Mainly on Will Smith's face, it really started to annoy me. Parts of his face would stay still when he moved. This is a common problem of variable bit rate. Its actual bit rate does average lower than my other Blu-ray films. It may have been necessary to compress it a bit more because there are 2 films on the disc. I wouldn't let my review put you off of buying the Blu-ray version, it is amazing on scenes of New York. I just wanted to let the HD purists know that it will not be the absolute best quality Blu-ray can achieve.
"Earth" by the BBC is my current Blu-ray demo disc if I want to show the system off.

The Sims 2 (PC CD)
The Sims 2 (PC CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sims 2 Review, 18 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Sims 2 (PC CD) (Video Game)
I brought the Sims 2 on launch day and then spent most of the day playing it. Firstly it does require 3.5 gig of hard drive space, loaded using 4 CDs (I have never spent so long loading a game)there is a little game you can play while its loading. Once it's loaded the graphics will blow you away, however these do put demand on your computer. EA games suggest a 800mhz P3 with a 32 mb graphics card can run this??? Excuse my moaning about specs but my PC is right up to date and very high spec and Sims 2 gets my computer to glitch. So I can't Imagine this being playable on a P3. Don't worry if the intro glitches, it does, the game play is fine.
I would suggest even experienced sims players have a quick go on the tutorial as quite a bit has changed, including the controls (my only complaint) I wish they'd left them exactly the same, because you just want to get playing.
What I thought was quite good, is the original sims families are in it, like the Goths. Mortimer is old and is mourning the death of Bella and their daughter is all grown and wants to start a family.
There is a lot more choice when building and at last you can go up beyond the 2 floors. You can go down to the shops and you can go round someone elses without them having to invite you. If your character grows up, they can move out and you can invite friends to move in with you. In case you didn't know, Sims now grow old and eventually die. However the instructions do give you the cheat to turn it off. At last computer controlled Sims aren't so stupid i.e. if you're using the toliet, they'll use the other toliet instead of annoying your sim, or if you're blocking them they can now push past instead of standing there. (If they push you, push them back. You can start a fight)
Your sims can now get ill or if your sim eats old food they throw up. You can push people in the pool and some of the things they can now do to each other make you question the games age rating? There are so many new things I could go on all day.
Simply if you're a Sims fan you'll love Sims 2.