Profile for A. Grey > Reviews

Content by A. Grey

A. Grey "GTAndy36" (Brundall, Norfolk)

Page: 1 | 2
Fortress
Fortress

5.0 out of 5 stars AB Fortress - Just another twist, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fortress (Audio CD)
I've had a read of all of the other reviews on here, and what I can't understand is the really negative reviews. I haven't given this review 5 stars for just sheer blind love for AB before you all start chiming in.

To everyone saying that Fortress doesn't have the melodies of previous albums, that many of the songs are just metal fests, then listen again. And again. And again. I've had to, so I can get the point of this album. Every single Alter Bridge album is different, and that's why these guys are so good! They won't just re-hash the same old that they know will work. They're experimenting, changing, finding new sounds.

After ODR and Blackbird, I had finally found a rock band I truly admired and wanted to listen to time and time again. Then ABIII came along, and there are many songs on that album I didn't like, I thought were too heavy for the sake of it. But over time, each song made more and more sense. I still don't really like All Hope Is Gone mind you, but here's the thing, that song works when you listen to it around other AB tracks from the different albums.

I'll admit, the first time I listened to Fortress album, I didn't like it. Cry of Achilles was something different and I liked that. Addicted to Pain is a typical single song, not as good as Isolation but not a bad song! Then comes Bleed It Dry... now here's a song I really couldn't get into for a very long time. Over heavy, not AB, Myles lyrically not his kind of song, or so I thought. But seriously now, I love it. It's angry and purposeful and has a point!

I'll wrap it up here, but I do understand where you guys that coming from with Myles not being lyrically as good as before (note that he set the bar pretty bloody high till now!) and the guitar is very heavy and has lost the melodic sound than before. But that's the point with this album people! If they brought nothing fundamentally new to the table, the reviews would be "we've heard this before". It's just another twist in Alter Bridge's repertoire. Give it time, listen to it over and over (like you no doubt have done before with ODR Blackbird ABIII) and also shuffle it with the rest of Alter Bridge's other songs. It works, they all work together!

And the final song Fortress is a killer! ;)

DiRT 3 - Complete Edition (PS3)
DiRT 3 - Complete Edition (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

5.0 out of 5 stars They've only gone and done it again., 31 July 2013
I didn't think Codies could make the Dirt series any better after I had finished number 2. Maybe it's not "better" but it's certainly on par, better in some areas of gameplay, some areas not so.

The Dirt Tour is fantastic and is long and deep enough in my opinion. They could have stretched it out more but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be better. Many kinds of events, and the addition of gymkhana won't be to everyone's tastes I agree, but it does bring something extra to this career mode.

The Ken Block-ness won't be to everyone's tastes I'm sure, and if you're after a rally driving simulator, again, you're going to be disappointed. But the Dirt series is by far the best arcade offroad racing series out there. It's a bag of fun and for less than £20 with all of the DLC, it's properly good value too!

Wahl 79400-800 Colour Pro Coded Mains Hair Clipper Kit
Wahl 79400-800 Colour Pro Coded Mains Hair Clipper Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars No more barber!, 31 July 2013
Put simply, these hair clippers are perfect. So simple to use as well. Never cut my own hair before, nor has my wife, and it was a doddle. No pulls, clean cut.

By the other reviews for this item, not much else needs to be said. Very good value for money too considering how many other things you get in the box.

Official Sony DualShock 3 Controller Gold
Official Sony DualShock 3 Controller Gold
Offered by Global Xpress

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Dualshock 3. In Gold..., 26 Mar 2013
It's a Dualshock 3. It's the tried and tested and pretty much loved by everyone design over the last 10 years in gaming. Nothing else to say really. I know it's a bit small for some, and I can understand that. It's always been a good size for me though, from the age of 10 to now aged 23.

And look... it's gold! Not a metallic gangsta gold, no, a nice light not over rich in colour gold. It's a great colour and it goes with my other Dualshock 3 in Candy Blue perfectly.

Transcend 32GB JetFlash V70 Rugged USB Drive
Transcend 32GB JetFlash V70 Rugged USB Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A rugged USB stick., 26 Mar 2013
I've had so many memory sticks it's silly. They've all broken one way or another, from stepping on them to even just putting it into a laptop.

This one is built properly. Hard wearing and reliable. I really like the rubber/silicone that covers it, it protects it from falling and anything else you can think of. The cap also slots onto the "cap-keeper", which is a brilliant idea and actually will only work properly with this rubber/silicone wrapped design, as the rubber/silicone itself holds it in place very well.

And with 32GB for £18-£20, it's also very competitively priced. So the fact this one probably won't break unless you're actually trying to break it, it's well worth the cash.

Samsung S27B550VS 27 inch Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black (1920 x 1080 Full HD, 2ms, 2xHDMI/VGA, MHL, Speakers) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gamers screen, 26 Mar 2013
As the title says, if you're a gamer, this is quite simply the perfect screen for you. This arrived this morning, and I've been using it all evening with my PS3, and I'm completely smitten with it. Aesthetically, it's elegant, simple yet beautiful. The screen itself is even better. 27" is more than big enough for my needs, and to be honest if it was bigger it wouldn't look as sharp and crisp as this.

There is also something to be said about the 2ms response time. There's no blur what so ever, it's sharp all the time no matter what you are playing or watching. In some ways, it's ever so annoying that every other screen I'm going to watch things on now will simply aggravate me... because it won't be as crisp and nice as this one.

Lastly, the sound coming out of it is again, perfect for a regular sized room, if you're gaming or watching a film. Clear and sweet, no tinny sound nearby.

Also, I would like to add I bought my one from the Amazon Warehouse deals, a "Like New" model. You wouldn't know the difference. Even I know it's a Like New model and I can't find any fault or blemish with it. It came fully wrapped as you would expect from a new model. The only thing was the ever slightly scruffy box, which to be honest isn't even worth mentioning so I don't know why I have.

So, put simply, I can't fault it.

Ab III
Ab III
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Alter Bridge III - Doesn't Slip To The Void., 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Ab III (Audio CD)
I have been following the release of ABIII for the past few months. The anticipation has been massive with the Alter Bridge fan-base. "One Day Remains" and "Blackbird" have really set a huge standard, so there has been worry that the third Alter Bridge album, aptly named ABIII wouldn't meet that standard. Especially as there were stories of record label issues, a quick create and recording period, and the fact that Mark, Flip and Brian are doubly busy with the Creed reunion.

However, finally the last few months have gone by, the AB team have rocked their socks off, and have created another masterpiece of rock, riffs, wonderful lyrics and the iconic Alter Bridge sound we've all come to know and love.

I was woken up by postie this morning, I knew what that meant. ABIII was here! I was grinning ear to ear like a little kid in a sweet shop. I promptly opened the plastic, looked at the awesome album art, and put the CD into the PS3. The album art really suits the feel of the music. This album is different to the previous Alter Bridge albums, in look and sound.

First song, "#1 Slip To The Void" is a perfect opener to the album. And I'm sure they'll use it as a concert opener. Slow, beautiful lyrics from Myles, into heavy melodic riffs and perfect AB sound. "#2 Isolation" (the Single) follows on perfectly. Heavy metallic sound, riffs and hard lyrics. One of Alter Bridge's best songs in my opinion. Melodic but hard and heavy. "#3 Ghosts Of Days Gone By" calms the heaviness down, with a sing-a-long kinda tune. It does get a little heavy and almost menacing in places too. The lyrics are rather sad for this kind of tune though, which makes it a very interesting song to hear. Three brilliant songs to open the album.

Things go a little downhill from there in my opinion however. "#4 All Hope Is Gone" really isn't a great song. Lyrically, it's bordering depressing. That would be ok if the rest of the song lifted it, but it doesn't. It's not a massively awful song, but it drags on. The little solo is probably the best part. That goes into "#5 Still Remains". Starts of in a similar vein to "All Hope Is Gone", and is a little better, but again, it does drag a little in the verses. The chorus' and the solo are best parts. Overall it's better than "All Hope Is Gone" but again, it's quite repetitive and bordering on depressing. It picks up a little come the end of the song though, with the heavy moody riffs and solos.

All this moody depression however is lifted once you get to "#6 Make It Right". Catchy, bouncy rifts, with a good lyrical performance from Myles. Definitely back to a typical Alter Bridge sound with this track. Not a stunner, but a good lift from the moodiness of the previous two songs. "#7 Wonderful Life" is up next, and this is definitely back to the quality we expect. Easily another 'single' type song. Light, beautiful guitar. Slow percussion. Beautiful soft lyrical performance. Very different to the first six songs. From that, into a flowing, rocky tune that is "#8 I Know It Hurts". Catchy lyrics, for the first two verses, into a random heavy hard rift, which I'm not sure works the best with this song. Still, it's not there for long, and it's back to the tune. The ending is good with a little crazy high rift.

"#9 Show Me A Sign" has a similar tempo to "I Know It Hurts", and "Still Remains". Good melody through the heavy, slow rift. Again, a bit moody but not the depressing, dragging on feel you got from "All Hope Is Gone" and "Still Remains". A good slower song, with a heavy feel. Again, some good solos thrown in my Tremonti. Another masterclass of well put together guitar and lyrics in "#10 Fallout". Slow tempo again, but the sound is a bit more uplifting. Fits great with the album so far, throws in something that hasn't been heard so far. Interesting rifts, different to anything we've heard from AB on any album.

The quality again is back again with "#11 Breathe Again". Similar to "Wonderful Life", with lyrics you'd want to sing and the light, and a quality tune from the guitar. "#12 Coeur D'Alene" brings back some heavy rift, and a typical Alter Bridge sound we're used to. Wonderful lyrical sound from Myles again in this one. This is a full-band tune, every member brings something to this one. A full-bodied sound.

Slow, beautiful guitar starts off "#13 Life Must Go On", and that continues the feel for the rest of the track. A song that I can see is going to be a favourite during a concert, for it's rounded and heart-warming feel. Personally, one of my favourites on the album. The final track "#14 Words Darker Than Their Wings" was released for 48 hours on the Roadrunner Records website about two weeks before release of ABIII. It's a masterpiece of rift and lyrics. And it blends the beautiful with the heavy pretty much perfectly.

A brilliant ending to this album, a great finale and shows of really what this album was trying to achieve. A blend of beautiful and soft, with a hardness and heavy nature. I would say, ABIII has achieved that. Is it as good as "Blackbird"? Well, yes and no. "Blackbird" held some iconic songs, and was more uplifting than ABIII. The themes shown of in ABIII on the most part are heavy and dark, with songs that talk about losing yourself and your mind, not knowing what to do or who you are. Not being able to believe or trust in anything. There are the songs that talk about love and loss, happiness and success, but compared to Alter Bridge's first two albums, this is the moodiest of the three. If I have any complaints, I would say the album is one or two songs too long. I personally would leave out "All Hope Is Gone", as I feel it brings nothing to the album, and even if it was placed somewhere else in the track list, it just wouldn't have worked.

However, overall this album shows off again the talent and genious of Alter Bridge. Myles Kennedy is the one of the best singers in rock music, this album only shows that off more. Mark Tremonti again shows us his talent with the axe, some of the rifts and tunes are breathtaking. Then with Brian on the bass, and Flip on the drums/percussion, they compliment Myles and Mark in a way I feel no-one else could. These four guys really are a team and work wonderfully together, and this album not only shows that off, it cements it even more when put along side "One Day Remains" and "Blackbird".

The best rock band of modern times? With these three albums, it would be hard to argue that!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2010 3:10 AM BST

Kutless
Kutless

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the more recent Kutless albums, 15 April 2010
This review is from: Kutless (Audio CD)
I first heard about Kutless a few years back, and consequently bought this album. It starts of really well, good vocals and guitar, just a quality rock sound. But as the album wears on, it really doesn't change... at all. It sounds all the same. I still can't to this day tell you what songs are the best because they sound all the same to me, bar one or two.

However don't let that put you off Kutless. Because seriously, they rock. I'm personally putting the fact that this was their first album, and over time they have learnt how to put a good album together. Sea Of Faces, and To Know That You're Alive are 3 times better. They sound like a different band.

So, my opinions are if you want some seriously great sounding christian rock, this is one of the bands to look at... just not this particular album, as a whole.

Rock Band 2 (PS3)
Rock Band 2 (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Band 2. Best music game by a big margin., 11 Mar 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rock Band 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
I'll come back to what Rock Band 2 is all about soon. What I wanna say is if you're still undecided on what to buy between Guitar Hero and Rock Band, go buy Rock Band. The reasons for this is simple, let me share some history:

I have been a fan of the guitar hero/rock band games ever since the start, and it's awesome how far these games have come in the last few years. Harmonix brought the first Guitar Hero into the world, and man what a game. It had some issues, it was very tricky to perfect score the harder songs, but all in all it was fantastic. Guitar Hero 2 appeared 2 years or so later. With upgraded guitar controllers, and a tweaked game with more modes, and a fantastic set list, it was a perfect sequel. My GH2 guitar still works perfectly even till this day. It makes a mockery of some of the instument controllers that come with today's games.

After the success of GH2, Harmonix sold the Guitar Hero brand to Activision. At the time, I couldn't understand that, but Harmonix knew what they were doing ;) They had something bigger in the works. Once that happened, not knowing what Harmonix had planned, it was a very sad day. I suspected Activision wouldn't be able to deliver a game as good as Guitar Hero 2, and a year or so later, my suspicions happened. GH3: "Legend" (Slash) of Rock appeared, and to start with all seemed well. It was still fun, but something wasn't quite the same. The new modes seemed a big too gimmicky, and actually the game didn't feel the same to play. The quick solos were too easy, they felt like all you had to do is press the buttons in sequence, no matter how late you were with it. Then games like GH: Aerosmith, GH: World Tour, GH: Metallica came and low and behold the Activision way of milking a franchise name until it's udders are bleeding!

What we found out after Guitar Hero 3 appeared was Harmonix were working on Rock Band. This seemed, at the time, like it just wouldn't work. I couldn't get my head around it really, thinking that it would just be so odd playing drums using the current "gems down a road" format. But it did, and did it well. BUT here in the UK, and other regions, we never got to play it, until a year and a half down the line!! North America only release was one thing, but having Harmonix say "oh yeah it'll be coming to PAL territories soon", then 6 months later, nothing... and a year later "oh yeah sorry, erm.. yeah it will be here in a few months time, but the instruments will be sold seperately, and we'll charge you 3x more." Because of this, I stuck with Guitar Hero and I wish I hadn't now. Activisions Guitar Heros just didn't deliver the same sense of fun and completeness.

Anyway, skip forward a year now, and good news!! Rock Band 2 was on the horizon, and it would allow you to use other brands of controller to play it! And it was available in the UK! Once I got that RB2 disc into the PS3, my first reaction was "finally this has been done properly." The menus are clearer and cleaner than GH. The setlist was HUGE in comparison, and DLC songs are in the plenty on the PSN store. (And significantly cheaper compared to GH DLC.) The career mode you can play single player or with mates is soooo much better compared to GH games, and the other game modes online and off are fantastic. No gimmicky Rock Battles here! I now have in excess of 250+ songs on Rock Band 2, thanks to the setlist, DLC and Rock Band 1 importing. (I bought RB1 solely for the song import.)

My conclusion is that Rock Band 2 is everything you need from a music game. The songs on the disc and DLC are so widespread, that ANY genre of music that uses a guitar or band is included. From soft rock (Boston), to heavy metal (System of a Down). From pop rock (Lady Gaga) to 70s rock (Thin Lizzy). Rock Band has everything. Recently, Rock Band Network has appeared. RBN gives any band the opportunity to create their songs in to work with Rock Band, then become available for the public to download. There are currently 100+ songs on RBN. With all the choice, there is plenty for everybody. (Basically what I'm saying there is no need to buy the constant Guitar Hero: Aerosmith/Metallica/Van Halen games that constantly arrive every six months, then buy Band Hero for the pop-ier songs.) [Also don't get me started on DJ Hero, cos that's a piss-take in itself.]

Since buying Rock Band 2, I have bought myself the Logitech Wireless Guitar. Mainly because I have had enough of these official controllers and some third party ones not really being up to scratch. I also have the really expensive Peak Starpex Guitar... which over the last few months has become near unplayable. I trust Logitech, all products I have from them work and still work great. So I'm giving them a shot. They also do a drum kit, so I may consider getting that too... even though its branded for Guitar Hero, with the guitar hero drums layout. Anyway.....

Rock Band 2 is the choice to make in my opinion. It's creator Harmonix started the Guitar Hero brand, GH1 + 2 are still the best in that series IMO. They've taken their Guitar Hero games to the next level with Rock Band, and Activision have been trying to copy the Rock Band format ever since. With it's classy menus, brilliant and huge setlist, and really good challenge modes and party modes, it's the band game of choice. Just get yourself some decent instruments! xD

Oh yeah, one final note from me... Rock Band 3 has been announced for Summer 2010. Don't let that put you off getting Rock Band and Rock Band 2 mind. Rock Band 3 probably won't include instruments, and I'm almost positive you'll be able to transfer your songs and DLC from RB1+2 into RB3 when it's here.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2010 4:00 AM BST

Need For Speed: Shift (PS3)
Need For Speed: Shift (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a sim racer, that's for sure., 4 Oct 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I'll start with the good things. Cockpit view is great. The car choices are good. The performance tuning is good.

Thats where the good things end. Handling feels numb and intert for most cars. You could tune it to be better, but this is so hard as you are relying on guess work, as you can't just jump into your car and test the changes. Even if you tune it well, the steering still feels unconnected with the wheels some how. The livery editor is a complete joke. NFS did well with Pro Streets livery editor. This one on here is so complicated and you can't rotate properly around the car, so it's nearly impossible to create something that looks right. You can't even mirror one side with the other!

The sounds are way overdone. It's fine for the high end racers like the MC12, Zonda R... but a stock 2000GT Skyline sounds like the MC12... its silly.

Visually its not what was advertised. Not sharp enough. What is with that blur when you go over 100mph I don't know. If you're eyes are doing that when driving, you should park your car and take the bus to an opticians.

I could go on forever to be honest. But I'll spare you that.

Basically it feels rushed in every department. That's because it was rushed, because its EA. EA's in-house games on the most part are awful. They are all rushed and not made properly. Too many bugs, and too many things that need changing when it comes to release.

This is NOT a sim-racer, by any means.

Page: 1 | 2