Profile for YO > Reviews

Content by YO

YO

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Map and Compass: The Art of Navigation (Cicerone Techniques)
Map and Compass: The Art of Navigation (Cicerone Techniques)
by Pete Hawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Written, 30 July 2011
I last tackled maps and compasses in school geography, so I needed an easy to read book. This is it.

Well written instructions and clear explanations. Reading it will not make you an expert, but it will equip you to reach this level with some practice.

I definitely recommend.

Tenn-Outdoors Women's 3/4 Length with Moulded Pad Cycling Leggings - Black/White Piping, 30-32 Inch

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 30 July 2011
I read all the reviews, so decided to go ahead and get a couple pairs. I cannot complain - the seller was good - the product better.

I took them on a recent touring trip, so lots of time in the saddle. I often forgot I had them on, which is a good indication of comfort. They also fit high in the waist, so modesty is preserved and I shocked no one with a crack view (no constant pulling up either).

I got soaked once and so had to wear a backup pair I had purchased from a well known discount store and this was when I really began to appreciate how comfortable and well made this product is.

Highly recommended - they look good - fit well (even the curvier of ladies) - dry quickly - are comfortable (go commando!)

PowerBee  Compact Solar Phone Charger for All Iphones / Ipods (excluding iphone 5), Nokia, Samsung, Micro usb (many phones including HTC/Blackberry/Smartphones), Mini usb
PowerBee Compact Solar Phone Charger for All Iphones / Ipods (excluding iphone 5), Nokia, Samsung, Micro usb (many phones including HTC/Blackberry/Smartphones), Mini usb

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Emergency Backup, 30 July 2011
I was upgraded for free to the next model up of this product by the supplier. Nice surprise.

The product came fully charged, so I tried it out at work when my 'smart-phone' ran low on juice. It works like a dream as a quick backup source of power to get you home.

However, on a recent camping trip, I soon realised that to fully charge the unit from solar would require 48 hours of continuous strong direct sunshine. Also, to charge from the mains requires and overnight charge.
It has about 2 full charges for a Nexus One.

As a backup for the smart-phone with silly battery run times of less than a day, this is excellent. However, if you are expecting to use solar power when on trips where access to mains is scarce, this is not the product to do the job.

Yellowstone 19 LED Headlamp - Black, 1 Pack
Yellowstone 19 LED Headlamp - Black, 1 Pack
Offered by One Click Wonder
Price: 6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 30 July 2011
It was a little fiddly to get the battery pack in and seated securely. At first, the battery pack seemed loose and so the light kept going out. I finally got the fit just right and over my camping trip, the light worked well and provided light on very dark nights in remote locations in the country.

It has varying degrees of brightness, which is very useful.

I have given 4 out of 5 stars because getting the batteries in is fiddly and I am still not sure how I made it stable and secure. (I am one for reading manuals and following instructions to the letter)

Gelert CUT103 Trek 2 Stainless Steel Cookset
Gelert CUT103 Trek 2 Stainless Steel Cookset

3.0 out of 5 stars Job Done, 30 July 2011
Heat spreads fairly evenly, so good cooking. Size is suitable for 1 or 2 people only. Much smaller than picture implies, so perfect for backpacking.
However, coating on handles will not last long, seems to crack as pan heats (that is with them extended and kept well away from heat source at all times). Therefore, these pans may not last more than a handful of trips with handles still intact.
Otherwise, does job excellently. No dents despite knocks. Pack away easily and compactly. Blue cloth bag makes the whole set tidy.

Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook: Worldwide Cycling Route & Planning Guide (Adventure Cycle Touring Handbook: A Worldwide Cycling)
by Stephen Lord
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A point of view, 1 July 2011
An excellent book. It starts with the preparation and planning. Then gives insights into touring around the world. Not much on UK though. Then anecdotes from others. A very interesting read with lots of tips. I am experienced and still got something from this book - Good investment.

KITTY HYDRO FLOSS WATER JET ORAL SYSTEM FLOSSER
KITTY HYDRO FLOSS WATER JET ORAL SYSTEM FLOSSER
Offered by Shavers UK
Price: 73.00

2.0 out of 5 stars NOTE - Can ONLY be used with a Shaver Socket!!, 31 Oct 2010
This product cannot be used with an adapter. This fact is clearly stated in the instruction leaflet, but the seller does not make this clear. This requirement is because the socket has to be double insulated to prevent electric shocks. See more here http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RB7ZA9UR4TV4

It is also designed for use in the UK only, so voltage rating is 220-240V.

The product looks of good quality and build. Based on other reviews it seems to deliver on its claims, but I cannot comment on this fact. My landlord is not willing to bear the cost of installing a shaver socket in the bathroom, so ...

Update ** (2012)
I recently spoke with an electrician and was told that it is a very bad idea to run an extension lead into the bathroom.

Apparently, electrical fittings in a bathroom are rated down. Hence you will find the shaving sockets, not regular sockets in bathrooms.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2012 5:28 PM GMT

Topfit BC3000 Dumbell Weight Bench/Ab Board With Adjustable Preacher Pad
Topfit BC3000 Dumbell Weight Bench/Ab Board With Adjustable Preacher Pad

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware - difficult to assemble, 31 Oct 2010
This item comes part assembled, but is still difficult to assemble. I am a bike mechanic and I struggled with the appalling instructions. Many screws did not fit in the recommended holes (or poorly engineered), so I had to move things around based on girth of screws and weight baring section. It should not be so difficult.

The manufacturer's website did not include any instructions at all, but at least the seller has helpfully included many pictures on this site showing the various configurations. This helped enormously, but I wish there were more close-ups of these pictures, showing the details such as screws etc.

A multi-tool is included in the pack, but I needed to use my 17mm ring spanner to hold bolts as well, so that I could tighten knots. (Extra tool required)

Therefore, based on the problems I had putting it together, the idea of easily folding up and putting away this item is an illusion.

However, I will report back as I use, on its stability and ease of reconfiguration.

Sandberg Wireless Battery-Free Mouse
Sandberg Wireless Battery-Free Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hidden Gem!, 22 Sep 2010
I read the handful of reviews for this product, and thought I would give this a chance as it ticked all the boxes on my requirements list.

- Mouse pad the does not need replacing due to poor response of mouse
- No batteries
- No wires

However, I was not expecting much, having spent much more on various other big brand mouse and keyboards that disappointed.

My goodness what a surprise this was, not only does it look well built and of good quality. It is easy to install with no installation CDs etc. You literally just plug in the USB attached to the mat (the only wire), Win 7 will (it is Win XP - 7 compatible) say it has found new hardware and is downloading the software. The download took a couple of minutes. Once this is done, just press the TUNE button clearly marked on the pad, and away you go!

The response of the mouse is excellent, I no longer have to run over several surfaces to find my cursor due to mouse non-response. The mouse is also very light, so may take getting used to if you have been using a heavier one. The mouse size is about average.

Now, unless this product packs up in the next year (it comes with a 5 year warranty), I can see no reason not to say that this beats the "big boys", you know the brands I mean, hands down.

ps. I will report back if any faults.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique look and good quality, 16 Sep 2010
Working with lots of other people, tools can get mixed up and lost. These have a very unusual finish, almost a rainbow effect, depending on light. Well made and excellent quality too; smooth finish with no bumps or rough edges. Extremely good value - Love them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4