Profile for Avid Kindler > Reviews

Content by Avid Kindler

Avid Kindler

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
MegaGear "Ever Ready" Protective Leather Camera Case, Bag for Sony Alpha a5000, Sony a5100 with 16-50mm OSS Lens (Light Brown)
Offered by MEGA WEST

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be a little bit better, 7 Nov 2014
I'm pleased with the look and fit of this case. I bought it for a Sony A5100 with the 16-50 lens with a UV filter attached. I like the little extras - a drawstring bag which holds the cased camera, protecting it from scrapes and scratches when it's not on my shoulder, and a microfibre cloth.

My only concern is that the PU leather is very stiff, so that when you drop the front cover down to use the camera, you have to hold it down with one finger, or you get the edge of it in frame. I hope that the fabric will soften with use so that this will become less of a problem.

Note that the images of the case all show the front of the case lifted up, rather than dropped down. I wondered if this was the way it is designed to work, but no, the single popper is not strong enough to retain the front if you try to bend it backwards and there is no stitching on that tab to facilitate it bending.

DIGIFLEX Mini Black USB Wired Optical Light Scroll Wheel Mice Mouse for PC Laptop Computer
Offered by Digiflex

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my best buy, 28 Oct 2014
Bought this to use when my rechargeable logitech mouse is charging. It's okay for short periods, butI find it far less accurate than my logitech mouse when I am editing (marking, moving, cut and paste...) and rather too small for comfort. (for info, I take a size 8 glove)

Dymo LetraTag LT-100H Plus Label Maker ABC Keyboard
Dymo LetraTag LT-100H Plus Label Maker ABC Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient piece of kit, 28 Oct 2014
My old Dymo had worn out. This is a nicer model, easy to use, and I love the magnetic holder which means that it's now resting at the top of metal bookshelves where I can easily find it.

BT8500 Advanced Call Blocker Cordless Home Phone (Twin Handset Pack)
BT8500 Advanced Call Blocker Cordless Home Phone (Twin Handset Pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace at last!, 28 Oct 2014
In use three days now. Callers in my address book have come straight through; a friend with a withheld number announces her name; and the phone shows that 4 callers have hung up - 2 international, 1 withheld and 1 which I looked up & found to be a spam caller. So it looks like no more annoyance from "this is Microsoft" or "I'm not trying to sell you something" or "I'm calling about your recent accident" (haven't had one), or the pre-recorded messages about PPI, or the Government green initiative , etc. etc. etc!

A nice touch which I hadn't been aware of was when I arrived home and found the phone beeping to tell me there were messages - you can switch the beep off, but I didn't always remember to check for messages, so I like the alert)

Early Sixteenth Century Lyrics
Early Sixteenth Century Lyrics

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to see sample, 27 Sep 2014
Kindle Edition: unable to see a sample of the content of this book as "read inside" and downloaded sample show only as far as the title-page.

Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5-inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5-inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly delighted. Slowest bit was backing up the HDD before starting, 19 April 2014
I fitted this SDD to a Samsung Laptop running Windows 8.1. With the SDD I bought a DeLOCK 61883 Converter Adaptor SATA 22-Pin USB 3.0 and a LINDY Computer Technician Precision Screwdriver Set. Although I am an experienced software developer I've never fiddled with the insides of a laptop before, so I am pretty much a novice as a techie.

The existing HDD in the laptop was 1TB, less than a third full. I backed up all the partitions on that drive before starting the upgrade process.

I had two minor problems.

The first problem was that the software provided by Samsung did not install cleanly - it went through to 100% but did not close. I uninstalled, cleaned the registry, rebooted, then reinstalled with the same result. As the Data Migration icon was present on the desktop I decided to try running it. The program ran and reported that an updated version was available. I selected the update and once again the installation failed to complete cleanly. After waiting a few minutes I used task manager to kill the install. The software then asked for the laptop to be rebooted. After the reboot I ran Data Migration and again it reported that a newer version was available. After going twice round the merry-go-round I concluded that it had simply failed to update its version number at the end of the update process. At this point I told it to ignore the "later version" and started the data migration.

Data Migration initially reported it would take 14 hours. This figure quickly dropped, and in the end it took only 2.5 hours and completed with no problems.

The existing HDD came out easily, but proved to be slightly deeper than the new SDD. I didn't know exactly what I needed to support the SDD so that it would not strain the connectors, but after trying a couple of mass-market computer stores a local specialist store produced some stick on rubber[?] pads which did the job. [finding these was the second minor problem in the process!]

I booted up and was astonished and delighted just how fast the system loaded (even before running the Samsung Magician software to tweak the configuration).

Recommended.

The Charlie Chan Megapack: The Complete 6-Book Series Plus 16 more by Earl Derr Biggers

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 7 April 2014
I bought this out of curiosity, having read a remark somewhere that the speaker couldn't understand how they had made such poor films out of such good books. So far I've read books 1 and 2, and each one has left me with a smile on my face, and keen to start the next one.

Charlie Chan is a Chinese detective living and working in Honolulu. Although he is the one who solves the crime and brings in his unique insights, he is not the main character in each book, nor is the location limited to Honolulu.

The protagonist in the first book is a young, aristocratic Bostonian who reluctantly goes to Honolulu to 'retrieve' his aunt who seems to be behaving quite frivolously. The stuffed shirt gets involved with a murder, discovers scandal in the family, finds romance and danger, and has his life turned completely upside down. It's a lot of fun!

Green Tidy Bike Storage Tent
Green Tidy Bike Storage Tent
Offered by NORTRAD

1.0 out of 5 stars Perished , one year on, 7 April 2014
I was a bit dubious about this when I first put it up as the zip did not move easily. The zip -has- held out, and the tent has stayed put (thanks to putting old paving slabs in the base). Unfortunately, just one year after putting it up I found that part of the jointed rods which provide the rigidity around the front of the tent had split and the canvas channel through which the rods run had also split and continues to split at every touch.

I contacted the supplier, Cheerful Bargains Ltd, who merely referred me to the manufacturer (but failed to give any contact details).

Not recommended

Lloytron 2000w Fan Heater with 2 Heat Settings & Cool Blow F2003WH
Lloytron 2000w Fan Heater with 2 Heat Settings & Cool Blow F2003WH

3.0 out of 5 stars good heater, shame about the cable, 28 Feb 2014
Small footprint. Works well. Unfortunately the cable is so short you really need an extension lead to use it- a more reasonable cable length would have earned it 5 stars, Seems a very silly cost cutting measure

The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase
The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase

5.0 out of 5 stars Dental hilarity, 21 Dec 2013
I bought this without hesitation as soon as I saw it was written by the author of the Etimologicon. Started reading it whilst I was sitting in the dentist's waiting room and couldn't help laughing like a loon. Love it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4