Profile for P. Thomas > Reviews

Content by P. Thomas

P. Thomas "ghostrider13" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Airwave 3 x 3 m Gazebo
Airwave 3 x 3 m Gazebo

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly executed design, 1 May 2015
I bought this as a temporary storage solution whilst refurbishing a friend's Post Office, so that I would have somewhere to store tools and an undercover work space. Unfortunately the weather was very poor during the week or so i needed it with fairly high winds and heavy rain. I fixed the frame down to the wooden decking it was stood on and kept all the entrances zipped up except when entering or leaving it. Although the material for the cover is completely waterproof it leaked like a sieve due to the fact that the roof only overlaps the walls by about 50mm, some of the stitched on velcro ties to fix the walls and roof to the frame were in the wrong place and in the end the wind simply ripped them out of the material, coupled with the fact that the roof overlap continually dropped inside the walls thus depositing all the rain on the inside of the Gazebo which meant that the inside was very nearly as wet as the outside! As the weather was fairly cold it also suffered from large amounts of condensation. The roof could not be stretched tightly enough to prevent the rainwater pooling at the edges and then dumping the resultant pond on the inside. There was a tie rod to hold the walls together at the top, but the clips were nowhere near strong enough to hold it in place, so I wound up putting self tapping screws through the clips and joins in it to hold it all together. To sum up then, if there is little or no wind and only light drzzle this will work fine, but if the wind is more than a few miles an hour or the rain is more than a passing shower then look elsewhere if you need to keep dry.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for my slightly unusual purpose, 30 April 2015
I bought this as a chart light for my boat so as not to impair my night vision. It works fine, provides enough light, was easily attached to my 12V electrical system. If you are using it in an ordinary domestic situation it will need an LED driver transformer to run from 240V. The flexible arm is useful, but in my situation it was mounted on the cabin roof facing downwards and the arm is insufficiently rigid to be able to be bent horizontally and stay in position, this would probably apply to a wall mount situation as well. But it is good value for money, can't judge how long it will last yet but it is cheap enough just to replace it when it breaks. The lead length has been extended but there is now a small circuit board about 12mm square by 7mm high some 400mm from the base of the light, not sure of its purpose but you will need to find somewhere to hide it in a domestic situation (possibly by curling the lead up and hiding the circuit board in the base of the light?)

Makita LCT204W Cordless Drill with Impact Driver Kit - White
Makita LCT204W Cordless Drill with Impact Driver Kit - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Usual Makita quality, but somewhat lacking in power, 8 April 2015
I bought these to replace my AEG 12volt drill driver of the same size. I have several Makita tools from their pro range and have always been impressed by the quality of build and their longevity (I have a 1/2" router and 9" angle grinder from 1988 that have given absolutely reliable service since 1988, which for trade use is pretty impressive). These two drivers are not from their pro range and are a bit disappointing in terms of power, although the build quality is well up to the usual Makita standard, I know they are only 10.8V as opposed to the AEG's 12v but they are way down on power, the AEG would comfortably put a 70mm No 10 screw into softwood woithout a pilot hole even after some 5 years of almost continuous use, Both the batteries on the Makita have been through a dozen or so charge cycles, so should be giving their best by now, but they struggle with a 50mm No10 screw on slow speed, the impact driver works better but it doesn't make as much difference as I'd expected and is very noisey to boot. I may be being a little unfair, Makita's pro versions of these drivers are considerably more expensive, but given I've only about a year to go before I retire I couldn't really justify the expense, pity that AEG seemed to have stopped making their small 12Volt drill/driver.

Bose ® SoundLink Colour Bluetooth Speaker - Black
Bose ® SoundLink Colour Bluetooth Speaker - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound and value for money, 8 April 2015
I've had several mobile speakers in the past, none quite as expensive as this one, but the sound is incredible for such a small box, the bass is amazing, deep and controlled from such a small box, it's not as good as my floorstanding transmission line speakers, but hey it's a fraction of the size (and cost!!!), midrange smooth and neutral, high frequency clear and detailed. Pairing takes less than half a minute and it has worked successfully with my Macbook Air and iPhone 5 as well as an I-Blu transmitter for my 160Gb iPod. Bose have always gone against conventional wisdom when it comes to speaker design, using numbers of drive units and other features which are rather sneered at by Hi-Fi know it alls, but for the size and money you'll be hard pushed to find anything much better.

IDC© i-BLU Bluetooth iPod Transmitter - Turn Your iPod Bluetooth To Stream Your Music Wirelessly to your Speaker or Headphones. Works on all non Bluetooth iPods Including iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Touch, Ipod Shuffle, Ipod Mini, Ipod Video. Buy From A Specialist UK Company (Black)
Offered by IDC Audio Visual

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 8 April 2015
I recently bought a Bose Bluetooth mobile speaker but of course my 160Gb iPod has no bluetooth, so I was reduced to using the wired Aux input. I saw this and thought that it might be a solution.... Which it is, it takes a bit of time to pair but it performs perfectly, slightly lowering my scepticism about Bluetooth, which in the past I've found to be pretty flakey. Sound quality seems pretty good and the range is OK certainly 5 metres is no problem not had a chance to try it beyond that yet

Lightning to USB Charge & Sync Cable, Apple MFi Certified, Colour Silver & White, 1m / 3.2 ft for iPhone 6S / 6S Plus / 6 / 6 Plus / 5S / 5C / 5, iPad (4th Gen), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod touch (5th Gen), iPod nano (7th Gen)
Offered by InCarCables Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the genuine article at a good price, 21 Jan. 2015
This is a very robust cable, the wire is thicker than the genuine article, which I have had problems with the outer sheath splitting. It has a quality feel to it and the plugs at both ends are easy to grip, hopefully saving the cable by discouraging the removal of either plug by pullling on the wire! It is by no means the cheapest cable around but I feel the extra quality is well worth the cost and it is almost half the price of the genuine article, so highly recommended

25 Pairs Silicone Eyeglass Nose Pads Oval Push On
25 Pairs Silicone Eyeglass Nose Pads Oval Push On
Offered by Sunny Market

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, but check they are the right ones for your spectacles, 8 Sept. 2014
These are good quality items, but check that they are the right type for your particular frame. The projection on the back of these ones is very small and certainly do not fit my Bench glasses

NRS Healthcare Prima Outdoor Grab Rail - 45cm (18") Length
NRS Healthcare Prima Outdoor Grab Rail - 45cm (18") Length
Offered by Mobility Choices

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Strong handles, 5 Jun. 2014
I needed to put some handles on the outside walls of my mum's house to help her get up the steps to the front door. What she didn't want was the usual stark white handles found in disabled toilets etc (She said it would make it look like an old person was living there, she's 90!!) I found these and ordered them, they are very strong with rubberised grips and a textured non slip surface.

I used my own screws and plugs, I can't remember if they came with them or not, but most of these products are generally let down by the supplied fixings as they are odd sized plugs and the screws seem to made form aluminium.

As other reviewers noted, the covers for the screws top and bottom are a bit hit and miss, of the six covers for the three handles I bought two would not stay on, on comparing the covers that clipped on nicely with those that didn't I noticed that there is a small lug that acts as the clip on the cover and on the ones that didn't fit, there was a slight fault in the moulding, a few moments work with a stanley knife reshaping it remedied that and they fitted fine and were secure.

Overall good strong, unobtrusive handles

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good adjustable pressure stapler, NOT for fixing Hardboard to floor boards, 5 Jun. 2014
I was working away from home and had 50 squre metres of hardboard to lay over floorboards ready for carpeting. I usually use an air nailer and compressor to do this but didn't have it with me, so I ordered this stapler and some 12 & 16mm staples. I couldn't find any other reviews for using this stapler for this particular job, so was not sure that it would be man enough for the job. It arrived in a timely fashion, the blister pack as usual was a challenge to get into :-) .

It is easy to load with staples and the pressure is set with a dial on the top, there is no stop on that dial, it simply alternates between the strongest and weakest settings, turning it many turns clockwise does not continue to increase the power.

It worked but only just, the staples were just about flush on the strongest setting, going through 4mm hardboard into pine floorboards, but if you hit a knot in the floorboards the staple either bent or was left proud. The staples really need to be completely fush with the top of the hardboard, especially when laying vinyl floor, so I wound up finishing each staple with a blow from a hammer, rather defeating the purpose and anyway it really needed 16mm staples to fix the hardboard securely and it definitely did not manage that.

It seems well made but I can't comment on its long term reliability as I've not had occasion to use it much since using it for a short time on the hardboard task.

In the end I hired a Paslode gas operated stapler to complete my task

M*A*S*H - The Martinis & Medicine Collection [DVD] [2008]
M*A*S*H - The Martinis & Medicine Collection [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Alan Alda

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything for the MASH lover, 3 May 2014
The whole series in a box, they have revised the packaging, which as others had commented was in cardboard sleeves, to standard multi mount plastic DVD covers, so no longer any risk of damage. The content as far as I can tell is uncut, without all the adverts each episode is about 30 mins. The quality is ok, I'm not sure if these are the restored episodes that were broadcast on TV some years ago or not, the opening sequence is still the atmospheric rather grainy footage used in the original TV series but the quality of the acttual episodes is good. As to the content, it's as relevant today, 42 years after it was made and some 62 years after the Korean war. It serves as a reminder that in many ways this world has moved on very little.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7