Profile for P. Thomas > Reviews

Content by P. Thomas

P. Thomas "ghostrider13" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Eyelevel USA2 2 Polarised Unisex Adult Sunglasses Grey One Size
Eyelevel USA2 2 Polarised Unisex Adult Sunglasses Grey One Size
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best solution for wear in a car, 29 July 2013
I wear varifocal spectacles and have tried several solutions to the sunglasses problem in my car, I've had various photochromatics over the years but because the windscreen filters out most of the UV which I understand causes them to change, they don't work too well, I've had ordinary prescription sunnies as well but they are too dark when you go into shade whilst driving, with these clip ons you can just flip them up when you need to. Being polarised they also cut glare from water reflections so great for the beach too. Although I've not tried itI would guess that you could trim the shape with a good pair of scissors to match your glasses

Chrome Plated Metal Magnetic Door Stop - Retainer
Chrome Plated Metal Magnetic Door Stop - Retainer
Offered by Trade Supplies-UK
Price: 8.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 29 July 2013
Excellent Magnetic door stop, its able to be mounted either at right angles to the door or in my case round a wall return and thus parallel to the door, it has a strong hold so even with my nearby back door open, it retains the door well enough to stop it blowing closed. The only slight downside is the quality of the screws supplied which seem to made of aluminium!

Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements
Price: 6.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 50W GU10 LED replacement on Amazon, 29 July 2013
These GU10 LED replacements are the best on Amazon, they are genuinely as bright as 50W halogens, I use the warm white ones which are a pretty good substitute for the halogens, not quite as warm but very near. I tried several other 50W substitutes before using these, ranging from 4.5W to 5W, but these which are 5.5W I believe are the only ones I have found that seem as bright as 50W halogens. I have now fitted these in 3 kitchens for customers and my own, they have been universally praised both for output and quality of light. I had a couple that were non working on arrival and the Long Life Lamp Company sent me replacements FOC and did not require the dead ones back and they took just a day to arrive, so well done LLLCo

Vulcan 607
Vulcan 607
Price: 4.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Insight into the opening shots of the Falklands War, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Vulcan 607 (Kindle Edition)
This newly updated version of this book as a result of the Falklands war documents passing the 30 year rule is a fascinating insight into the way this country's military can think on the move. This is the story of the men who took an almost retired Vulcan bomber on an 8,000 mile round trip from Ascension Island to Port Stanley to bomb the runway. The interviews with both the Vulcan and Tanker crews create a graphic image of real "Can do" attitude. It tells of the search for parts to enable the Vulcan's air to air refuelling system to be re activated, searching old RAF parts stores and even cannibalising bits from museum exhibits across the world. The description of the highly complex air to air refuelling, both the training and the actual mission gives you some idea just how close this country came to being unable to retake the Falklands. It is a story of the realities of our make do and mend in the military of the time, no different to today I suspect. It makes a sobering read, this is a story of men who make it happen despite politician's endless changing of defence policy without any apparent thought as to the real needs of the military then and now. It also makes you realise that if the Argentinians mounted a new operation to retake the Falklands, beyond the forces that are based there, there would be little or nothing we could do to prevent it. Highly recommended reading for anyone with an interest in the Falklands War, the awesome Avro Vulcan and the crews who flew and serviced them.

Tattoo You
Tattoo You
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Remaster, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Tattoo You (Audio CD)
I'd almost forgotten Tattoo You, although I love the Stones, Start Me Up, which is probably the best known track on this album is not one of my favourites and somehow the vinyl version never got played very much. I was discussing what was the best good 'ol 12 bar recorded and suddenly Black Limousine jumped into my mind and having dug out the vinyl version and played it and some of the other tracks, I decided to try the Remastered CD, other offerings of Stones remasters have not disappointed and this one is no exception. Black limousine is about as basic as it gets for a 12 bar, but the Stones cut their teeth on this stuff and it shows, they are about as solid as it gets on this one and it reminds you of why the Wyman / Watts rhythm section was regarded as one of the best in the business at the time, Keith & Ron are exactly the right musicians for this one and Mick's harmonica is spot on, I do wish he'd played it more over the years.

The interesting thing about this album is that some of it was recorded some 8 years before during the Mick Taylor era, and songs like Waiting for a Friend and Tops benefit from his playing style, for a sad old git like me who has seen them live with the Brain Jones lineup as well as Mick Taylor and latterly (30+ years now!) Ron Wood, the Mick Taylor era was definitely the best era as far as live performances are concerned.

So this album reflects the best of both worlds, I never felt that Mick Taylor particularly enjoyed the Black Limousine style of songs, so this album gives you side 2 which is better done with Mick T and side 1 which is a real blast from Keith & Ron, they are clearly having a great time and it shines through on the recordings.

Overall if you are a Stones fan then give it another listen I was suitably impressed and this remastered version is a subtle improvement, if you are not a particular Stones fan then this one presents a good cross section of their different styles, backed with good keyboards from messrs Hopkins, Stewart & Preston coupled with some great Sax from Sonny Rollins, what's not to like as they say?

Samsung Slim Retail External DVD Writer - White
Samsung Slim Retail External DVD Writer - White
Price: 18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 9 April 2013
I have need of an external DVD drive on rare occasions for my Macbook Air, when I'm away from home and the remote disk facility on the MBA is not an option. Equally although I love Apple kit, their external DVD drive was just too expensive for occasional use. So after some research I picked this drive.

It has not quite got the elegance of the Apple version and the case is all plastic, but overall it works well. It needed no drivers or software, it worked straight out of the box. It is only USB 2 but seems to run more than fast enough to be able to watch movies with it without buffering.

It seems slightly sensitive to the quality of the discs you put in it, some seem to be slightly out of balance, which results in the drive being quite noisy at times. I've not had cause to burn a disc yet so can't comment on its abilities in that department, as soon as I have I'll add to this review

Update December 2013

I've been using this drive for some time now and it has been fine. The one thing that has remained a mystery is how to put it into AV mode so that you can use it as a DVD drive into a TV with a USB socket. The instructions say to open the tray and then press the close/ eject button lightly twice. That is not the case as far as I can tell, one of the other reviewers here has it right, open the tray and then hold the eject button in for more than 3 seconds, the drive light on the front lights up for several seconds and it is then in AV mode, to change it back to computer drive mode repeat the process

Elgar: Cello Concerto; Enigma Variations; Pomp And Circumstance Marches No. 1 & 4 [Great Performances]
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best versions of these pieces, 9 April 2013
I had the vinyl version of this album and the remastering has worked well.
I'm not a big fan of digital remasters and classical music which one might think would benefit most from remastering given its larger dynamic range as a rule than pop or rock. However until fairly recently although the surface noise disappears in digitising the music, it is often left too bright and lifeless as compared with the warmth of an analogue recording. Don't forget that all the instruments in this recording are analogue, so it is only as digital technology has improved that this remastering process has contributed anything at all, apart from the lack of the usual surface noise, pops and clicks of a vinyl recording.
The pieces played here are from two musicians at the height of their powers and even today stands up well against any modern version. I've been a huge fan of the young Barenboim so perhaps I'm biased, but like his original recording of the Moonlight Sonata and the Pathetique this is still a benchmark by which other performances are judged.

10 x GU10 LED BULBS WITH 20 X 5050 SMD CHIPS IN WARM WHITE ** HIGH QUALITY GU10 LED SPOT LAMP IDEAL FOR REPLACING 40W-50W HALOGEN LIGHT BULBS **
Offered by Brightlightz
Price: 34.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not very reliable, 9 April 2013
I have replaced a lot of GU10 halogen bulbs in recent times, not only for my self, but customers too. These bulbs were picked as a replacement for 35Watt Halogen bulbs. I usually use the 5W ones from The LongLife Lamp Company, but they truly are a replacement for 50W Halogens. So I picked these, which I thought at 3W would be fine as they claim to be a replacement for 40-50W bulbs. Well they are not, more like a replacement for 20W bulbs I would say, not only that but 2 of the 10 bulbs did not work, 1 was DOA the other lasted about 20 minutes. The other thing is that unlike other LED GU10s I have used, they have no glass or plastic cover over the LEDs, so in the longer term they would be very tricky to clean, certainly in a kitchen environment, where these were to be installed. Finally they did not appear to be warm white either, more of a grey-blue light really, which in a gloss white kitchen with white ceiling was very noticeable. I got a full refund, no problem, and used my usual 5W ones, a bit on the bright side but a much better colour!

Microwave Oven Bulb With Fixed Lamp, T170 Base, Straight 4.8mm Terminals Close Together, 25w 230-240v, OEM, Suitable For Daewoo, Delonghi, Goldstar, Kenwood, Matsui, Saisho, Samsung, Sharp, Thorn..
Offered by TDSpares
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cheap replacement for the OEM item, 9 April 2013
The internal bulb on my Sharp R959 microwave blew and I was horrified at the price of an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) part, some 4 times the cost of this bulb. Fitting it involved removal of the outer casing of the microwave, a bit of a pain but well within the capabilities of the average DIYer. It was a straight replacement for the original. So far it has been fine, only time will tell whether it's life is better or worse than the original which only lasted about 18 months. As an aside why don't they provide a simple access cover to replace these bulbs? All the microwaves I have owned over the years necessitate the removal of the outer cover, which would invalidate the warranty I suspect, but who would want to have to take or send their appliance to a repair centre for such a simple thing? Also why not use compact Fluorescents so this problem is largely eliminated anyway?

New Balance Men's Brown Hiking Shoe MW659BR1 9.5 UK, 44 EU, 10 US
New Balance Men's Brown Hiking Shoe MW659BR1 9.5 UK, 44 EU, 10 US
Offered by Fashion First

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value shoe, helps with Plantar Fascitis, 9 April 2013
I seem to have developed the above problem over the last few years and have tried various trainers and insoles with only limited success. These shoes are very comfortable and certainly seem to have started to relieve the pains in my feet over the 2 weeks or so that I have been wearing them.
Other reviewers noted that the sizing is on the small side and recommended buying half a size larger, which I did, for me they are a little large, but with 2 pairs of socks for walking are perfect. So I would say that the sizing is about right. I usually buy Hi-Tec walking footwear as their sizing and shape seems to suit my foot shape. The NB are also good, plenty of room for your toes and they are torsionally very rigid, which for such a light weight shoe is truly amazing. All in all for the price they are hard to beat

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5