Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Content by Kindle Customer

Kindle Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Suffer the Little Children: (Brunetti 16)
Suffer the Little Children: (Brunetti 16)
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A Sad Tale of 21st C Problems, 23 July 2014
This is a (hopefully) incredible tale by D Leon as she takes an intelligently harsh views of the problems of infertility and the human desire for a baby. She also uses it to point to the problems associated with illegal immigration.
Brunetti shares our sadness as he tries to unravel this mystery. I did not "enjoy" it so have only given it 2 stars but that does not mean it is poorly written, just that the subject matter was distressing.
One point: I think it unlikely that Brunetti would have told Paola that her friend had undergone a termination. They share his worries
and keep few secrets but I think commonsense would have made him quiet on that one. You have to read that chapeter quite carefully to notice that he did tell Paola.

The Girl of His Dreams: (Brunetti 17)
The Girl of His Dreams: (Brunetti 17)
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars One of her better ones - they are all compusive reading though, 28 Jun 2014
One of her better ones - they are all compusive reading though! Poignant, thoughtful and probably well-researched in the ways of Romany life.
Paola keeps him on the right side of the law!

Wilful Behaviour: (Brunetti 11)
Wilful Behaviour: (Brunetti 11)
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars wilful behaviout, 21 May 2014
Donna Leon gives us a good mix here although the identity of the murderer is a little far fetched. Despite that I have given it 5 stars because she has painted Italy's war legacy with poignancy and honesty. To alleviate the Count's war time story we have Paola's rabbits recipe served in a way to calm teenage susceptibility. We spend time with the family in that top floor flat and walk through Venice with Guido hearing his thoughts. The Author weaves the problems of displaced women over the years, both of,whom some 60 years apart, left their native land for Italy in search of something better..

Death and the Dolce Vita: The Dark Side of Rome in the 1950s
Death and the Dolce Vita: The Dark Side of Rome in the 1950s
by Stephen Gundle
Price: 13.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Death and the Dolce Vita, 29 Jan 2014
Oh this is so exciting and well written. I classify it as something equal to a 3rd level Open University course, of which I have some knowledge. I read a chapter each night to keep up with it and to remember some difficult names.
Going back to it after a break, I found it hard to get into it again and to recall who everyone was: took a bit of revision.
The Author should be proud of his oeuvre. I wondered if he was planning to turn it into a PhD thesis but perhaps he has one already.
So glad I visited Rome, and have spent much time in other parts of Italy, before I read it as it did help.
If you are interested in Italian history, politics, intrigues etc I strongly recommend this book.

The custom house
The custom house
by Francis King

1.0 out of 5 stars The custom house, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: The custom house (Hardcover)
His obituary praised this book so I did give it a try but sorry - it had to go to the charity shop fairly early on.

Thomas And Friends - Classic Collection - Complete Series 10 [DVD]
Thomas And Friends - Classic Collection - Complete Series 10 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Angelis
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 3.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Thomas and Friends, 29 Jan 2014
Much loved. I was going to leave it at that but recall that you need more words. The wee one used to try and catch the smoke as it bounced across the screen and that's a happy memory for me!

Pip and Posy: The Big Balloon (Pip & Posy)
Pip and Posy: The Big Balloon (Pip & Posy)
by Axel Scheffler
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars The Big Balloon, 29 Jan 2014
Sorry, I do feel that some authors make easy money.
That's mean of me I know and I read it as though it is very exciting and enjoyable.
Anyway, my grand-daughter likes it at present and we do go over the alliteration of "ps" and whatever else.
Perhaps she should review it when she learns to read and write.

Fireman Sam Diecast Vehicle with Sound - Venus
Fireman Sam Diecast Vehicle with Sound - Venus
Offered by 1st For Toys
Price: 8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars a much loved toy, 29 Jan 2014
The grandchildren love it, even though Penny can't be extracted from the car. (I think she is called Penny but not sure who Venus is).
Its always taken out the special drawer when they visit.

The Eagle of the Ninth
The Eagle of the Ninth
Price: 5.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to childhood with the Eagle!, 29 Jan 2014
I first read this when aged 11 - though I wonder if I read it all. Some of it has haunted me since - especially on visits to Trimontium - so I am delighted to have it on kindle.
Too much chasing through bogs hotly pursued by Native Brits! I feel it owes much to John Buchan and a little to Robert Louis Stevenson. A great yarn and a classic but maybe a trifle too long? That's what made me think that perhapsI gave up on it all those years ago.
I had suffered a leg injury aged 9 and still bear the scars so it occurred to me that the hero's injury must have been understood by me and maybe was a cause for comfort. The leg continued to give me intermittent pain into early adult life but settled down eventually.

Wildlife Photographer of the Year Desk Diary 2014
Wildlife Photographer of the Year Desk Diary 2014
by Natural History Museum
Price: 9.65

2.0 out of 5 stars desk diary, 29 Jan 2014
I bought this for a family member and it was not wanted. It has gone to a charity shop.
It is probably full of beautiful and amazing photographs and nothing wrong with it apart from the fact that it was not as required.
That is entirely my fault so no one need feel badly about it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3