ARRAY(0x9e925810)

Profile for J. W. Berry > Reviews

Content by J. W. Berry

J. W. Berry (Manchester, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Kallo Organic Natural Puffed Rice Wholegrain Cereal 225 g (Pack of 4)
Kallo Organic Natural Puffed Rice Wholegrain Cereal 225 g (Pack of 4)
Offered by VITAMINS EUROPE
Price: 12.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 17 Mar 2014
This cereal reminds me of Kellogg's sugar puffs, just without the sugar and honey coating. I don't know why they should, as sugar puffs are made of wheat (which I now know I can't eat). This isn't my first choice of cereal, but I would have it again, as a lot of gluten free foods are terrible and very expensive. Compared to the rest I've tried these are pretty good.

Russell Hobbs 18540 Breakfast Collection Kettle
Russell Hobbs 18540 Breakfast Collection Kettle
Price: 18.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Feb 2014
We've had this kettle for over a year now, so I thought I should write a review to say how good it's been. No problems at all. It boils quickly and quietly and clicks itself off when it's done. What more can you ask for? We don't live in a hard water area, so I don't know how it would cope with that, but we use it many times every day and it still works great. Highly recommended.

Doves Farm Organic Original Cornflakes 375 g (Pack of 4)
Doves Farm Organic Original Cornflakes 375 g (Pack of 4)
Price: 11.16

2.0 out of 5 stars Too bland for me, 29 Jan 2014
I bought these because I couldn't find my usual Whole Earth organic cornflakes in the shops or on amazon. I can't eat gluten, so my choice was limited to these. I was wary because I'd had the Doves Farm Cereal Flakes a while ago and not liked them, but the reviews looked good so I ordered. For me they are pretty bland, even though I like plain cereal. The Whole Earth have raw cane sugar and more salt. These have no sugar and I miss it. Sprinkling sugar on them doesn't really work. I know some people need or want less sugar and salt, or they plan to add fruit or yogurt, so these cornflakes have their place. But, I found them too much like cardboard and each flake a bit too thick and solid. Shame I had to buy four boxes from Amazon to find that out.

The Testament of Gideon Mack
The Testament of Gideon Mack
by James Robertson
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars A good idea wasted, 29 Dec 2013
I wanted to like this book, as the premise seemed a good one. I'd hoped for some thoughtful and philosophical discussion between the characters about life, death and religion. You'd think the author would have decided to write this novel because, ultimately, they had some important point they wanted to make about the world. Well, if there was a point I didn't find it. We don't actually get to Gideon's meeting with the devil until about three quarters through the book, and when we do, it's just very odd. There's no deep, clever or even witty dialogue, and there is the suggestion Gideon is sexually assaulted by the Devil. After taking so long to reach this meeting, the whole thing is an anticlimax. The novel could also do with some redrafting to make it shorter. It would have made the story stronger. I struggled to finish it. I felt the basic idea for the book was a very good one and the characters are well developed (except for the Devil), but the story has no point to make and exhausts itself. This novel could have been great, but the author only has half the ingredients necessary to make it work.

Bon Bon Buddies Barbie Carry Tin 64 g
Bon Bon Buddies Barbie Carry Tin 64 g
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One happy child, 27 Dec 2013
I got this as an extra present to put all those barbie bits in (shoes, necklaces etc...). The tin arrived from amazon in excellent condition and is very good quality. It was shrink wrapped, and the contents and ingredients info was stuck on the outside of the plastic. Good idea, so there was no horrible sticker on the tin itself to leave a sticky residue that never really comes off. Inside were about seven separate triangular pink and transparent packets with the sweets in. They went down very well and were soft and squishy. A bargain for the price.

Josh Widdicombe Live: And Another Thing (2013) [DVD]
Josh Widdicombe Live: And Another Thing (2013) [DVD]
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots to laugh at, 27 Dec 2013
I got this for Christmas (on request) and, unlike some reviews here, I've actually watched the DVD. I really enjoyed it. Lots of good observational comedy. If you saw Josh on Live at the Apollo a few weeks back, that segment was part of this longer DVD routine (talking about coco pops, cash machines and homemade jam). The DVD also has some bonus material including an audio commentary with Alex Brooker and Adam Hills, which was very interesting to listen to as they had plenty to say. Worth the money.

The Little Mermaid [DVD] [1989]
The Little Mermaid [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Jodi Benson
Price: 11.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best Disney film, 15 Dec 2013
The Little Mermaid was my favourite Disney film as a child, and I still have the old VHS tape from that time. Sadly, no video recorder to play it on. So, I have patiently waited for Disney to release the film again on DVD and they finally have. I was worried I might not find it as good, watching it again as an adult, but it's still great. The story seems a little more simplistic to me now, but the quality animation, strong characters and brilliant songs mean that isn't important. I just enjoyed going for the ride. The new DVD version seems exactly the same as the VHS copy I used to watch, so nothing edited out (which does happen with some re-issues). And, there are DVD extras an adult fan might enjoy (but I don't think a child would get much out of them, it's serious 'making of' type stuff). Definitely worth getting.

Beowulf (Bilingual Edition)
Beowulf (Bilingual Edition)
by Seamus Heaney
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good translation, 15 Dec 2013
Seamus Heaney has got this work spot on. The translation flows so well, I cannot fault it. This bilingual edition is very nice, with the original text on the left hand page and the translation on the right. And the front cover shield picture is nice too. Other editions had covers that put me off.

The Godwins: The Rise and Fall of a Noble Dynasty (The Medieval World)
The Godwins: The Rise and Fall of a Noble Dynasty (The Medieval World)
by Frank Barlow
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 15 Dec 2013
The writing style is quite academic, but there is plenty of information. It is hard to find work on the Godwin's so I was pleased to find this compact book. Like I said though, it isn't an easy read due to the serious essay-like writing style, so not great if you just like a relaxed friendly history book. Printed on good quality glossy paper though, which I always appreciate.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland [illustrated]
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland [illustrated]
Price: 1.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good kindle version, 15 Dec 2013
I'd not read Alice in Wonderland before, but I quite enjoyed it. I'm not sure what a child today would make of it, perhaps a bit slow, but it was very different when it was published. Up to that point children's stories were full of religious and moral teachings. This book is pure escapism, with no religion or moral instruction. Alice is meant to be dreaming, and the story does have that feeling of a weird dream. I got the illustrated kindle version, which was well formatted.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4