Profile for P. Austin > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Three Mobile Huawei E5331 Mobile WiFi Ready To Go 1GB Preloaded Data
Three Mobile Huawei E5331 Mobile WiFi Ready To Go 1GB Preloaded Data

5.0 out of 5 stars It gives great versatility, 24 Oct. 2012
We have 3 tablets in our family household all wi-fi only. Having just got myself a Nexus 7 this was the ideal solution for all of us to be able to use the tablets on the go. Very easy to use, display gives only bare info though, i.e it is on and has a signel. Which is fine if you are not a big data user like us. i.e for the occasional internet use away from home. If a big data user though you can view your usage by accessing the device as you would any router/modem by typing 192.168.1.1 into your browser.

It then comes up with a simple interface allowing you to change your password, change ssid to a more personal name etc etc. You need to on the initial interface screen just click on classic look otherwise you get 3 very basic options to tweak that have little use.

So now all four of us can connect to the mobile network at the same time, not a likly scenario, what is more likly is any one of us can use the device when out if needed. Thus in my opinion making this mifi gadget good value for money.

p.s topping up is easy to do, or by sim cards off amazon. download the THREE app on to your tablet so you can see data usage and top up that way if you want to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 3:50 PM GMT

TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections
Offered by Hughes Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good so far, 3 Aug. 2012
Bought this to replace my faithful Zyxel modem/router that has been a stalwart for the last 5 years at least. Always had good broadband download/upload speeds, the reason for the purchase was to see if a more modern unit could cope better with a family accessing the internet all at the same time.

My zyxel would often drop connection if one of us connected whilst others were on the internet and only had a 54mbps shared wireless network transfer rate. This unit claims 300mbps. Well no surprise that is not achieved but I do get 144mbps on the same floor as the unit dropping to 74mbps upstairs.

Connection to internet has not dropped as hoped, my zyxel would always drop at 6pm and 9pm appox most days as well, reconnecting a few seconds later. Always figured it simply did not like those times.

Now with the greater transfer rates and in a sense more capacity on the wifi, this unit is not struggling what we as a family are shoving through it. The bottle neck now if you consider it to be one is my broadband connection as you would expect.

Liked the fact it came with a splitter and all necessary cables. I found it easy to set up, I am with talktalk and it automatically identified this with no problem.

For £30 this offers what most households want, good transfer speeds across a good distance not struggling with multiple connections to it. As for your broadband speed this unit will achieve top connection rates just like my old zyxel would. No point in my opinon spending loads on modems in the hope that will improve speed. That is all down to openreach improving the network over time.

Update: We have two Xbox's the old version connected fine using the external usb wifi adapter for it. My other son has the new xbox with internal wi-fi. When we tried connecting this it would not connect to the internet and prevented all other wi-fi devices doing so. Thankfully TP-Link are aware of this and the solution if a bit quirky is to change the region setting for wireless connection on the router to Canada but not UK or USA. Did this and everything now works.

They state they may release a firmware update but in essence this fully solves the problem.

Video Game Programming for Kids
Video Game Programming for Kids
by Jonathan S. Harbour

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal to start learning to program with, 12 May 2012
Bought for my 13 year old son who had expressed an interest in programming. We had already downloaded QB64 from the net and I had shown him how to do a few simple commands in it to get an outcome. QB64 is free and simple to use. Within minutes, if you type in some simple BASIC commands the computer will interpret and run the code instantly.

The book starts as you would expect by introducing the programming language BASIC and gets you to use the PRINT command to simply get a message on to the screen. Then as each chapter comes along the book introduces more commands to show how you can bring your ideas for programs to life.

It reminds me so much of the days back in the 80's where you would buy the magazines for your respective home computer and for me, happily type in the code to be amazed by what it did when you hit the RUN button.

Of course in reality back then the code was often missed printed somewhere and after 100 lines of code input you would spend the next couple of hours working out why you got the syntax error from hell. For me though that was always part of the fun and taught me more about programming in some ways than simply typing in perfect code.

The book states aimed for 8-12 year olds. Not sure 8 year olds would find the book ideal because it is so comprehensive and gets in to the detail of BASIC quite quickly. So the language used may be quite difficult for them. With support from an adult though probably fine.

As a book to learn how to program from the absolute start very good because in pairs with QB64 so well.

House of the Dead: Overkill - Extended Cut (PS3)
House of the Dead: Overkill - Extended Cut (PS3)
Offered by musicMagpie

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Fun, 31 Oct. 2011
Played this on the Wii so an HD version was something I wanted to play. Move works really well and you can use any gun attachment as you reload by just jolting the move remote so no having to touch buttons apart from the trigger and throwing the odd grenade.

One pleasant surprise in keeping with the 'B' movie presentation is that the 3D is both in stereoscopic i.e. the new method or for those of us with just HD TV's you can play in anaglyphic 3D. The game comes with 2 pairs of coloured glasses. So a 3D game without the need for a 3D TV. I will be honest though it just confirmed what I personally always think about 3D. Fun for 5 minutes then my eyes just get tired.

If you enjoy adult over the top cheesy humorous dialogue and blasting zombies then this is a must buy.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 2:39 PM BST

Need For Speed: Nitro (Wii)
Need For Speed: Nitro (Wii)
Offered by sellatronic

5.0 out of 5 stars The best need for speed on wii yet, 6 Dec. 2009
I am surprised this has yet to receive a review. May be it is not a well known game but alongside F1 2009 this is by far the best Wii racing game out there.

The co-op career is a good addition as up to 4 people can join in as and when they like. It makes unlocking events and cars much more fun.

Most important though is that it is fast, furious and above all fun. Loads of tracks and dfferent types of events a slick front end and for those who like to customise and morph the cars it is all there.

My son is working through the career and I can just come along pick up the wii wheel join in and have a blast with him using the cars he has already unlocked.

I will mention the graphics they are just plain good, circuits are varied and interesting. If you just own a wii then this and f1 2009 are must racing game buys, you will not be dissappointed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2013 5:48 AM BST

Emprex AWV-698B  5.8Ghz Wireless Video sender - Watch TV around the House
Emprex AWV-698B 5.8Ghz Wireless Video sender - Watch TV around the House

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect picture, Sky remote works too, 19 Sept. 2009
Easy to install, the scart cables are unit specific and labelled to that affect. Of course I did not notice this at first, so 50/50 chance, plugged wrong way round so no signal.

Also found that direction of aerial is quite sensitive but once signal picked up no problems. Perfect picture from my sky hd box. Sky remote works fine with the device as well.

So therefore does the job perfectly

Disaster: Day Of Crisis (Wii)
Disaster: Day Of Crisis (Wii)
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Takes me back, 24 Dec. 2008
The Wii is rightly a family console but those family/casuel games only take the console so far. The Wii needs hardcore games and this is one. It is like being in a B-Movie where you are doing and witnessing loads of different moments all kept together by fast action and cheesy dialogue.

As with all Wii games the graphics have a few jaggies but the game creates some real tense atmosphere as you watch then run away from oncoming major disasters.

It reminds me of games created years ago that had the same concept but could not pull off the graphics or controller actions the consoles now can. Waited for it to get discounted on price and it was well worth the money. The Wii needs these kinds of games roll on fatal frame IV, the conduit and Cursed Mountain.

Fallout 3 (PC)
Fallout 3 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like RPG's this is a no brainer, 5 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Fallout 3 (PC) (Video Game)
As someone else stated not good if game does not run for you but I installed and it works fine on quite an ageing PC. Specs, Win XP, 1.5gb, GFX 7600GT with a Athlon 64 3400 single core processor. The game runs on medium settings with FPS from 30 up to 80. So game is optimized well for less powerful machines. Brilliant.

As for the game I do not doubt it has bugs but I have not come across any yet, open ended, good story telling and interaction with characters, put simply fantastic RPG. I also like the Matrix style combat cinematics that you can invoke if you want.

So do not be put off be the copy protection or the fear the game will not run. If you meet the minimum specs then for once you get a perfectly playable game and my honest opinon about others who cannot get game to run is that they must seriously mess around with drivers and window. As in all the years I have played PC games, some 20 now I have never had a game that would not load and run and I have never owned a top spec machine either so I have always had to adjust the games settings.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2008 3:38 PM GMT

American Heartbeat
American Heartbeat

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant memories, 19 April 2008
This review is from: American Heartbeat (Audio CD)
Had this on tape as a kid, searched a few years back for a cd version of the original. Great that this has been released, agree though with other reviewer, what is billy idol doing on it? Other tracks that have been added though do give the album a nice freshness.

The King of Clubs (Wii)
The King of Clubs (Wii)
Offered by united direct limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Single play ok but family fun top notch, 30 Mar. 2008
If you can get beyond the graphics which are ok loads of jaggies and no better and the interface is cumbersome at times. Then the gameplay is great. Simple to play but just like real crazy golf the courses are a real leveller and loads of them.

Good funny touches like when someone is havng their turn you can by using your remote send sounds and comments to their remote to put them off. Loads of options and degrees of difficulty to balance out good gameplay between friends of different abilities.

The Wii is a bit loaded with these party type games but having tried a few like sonic and mario at the olympics & Wii sports this will be the one my family comes back to a lot.

Page: 1 | 2