Profile for I'd-rather-read-a-book > Reviews

The Charm Bracelet
The Charm Bracelet
by Melissa Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars An "okay" read., 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Charm Bracelet (Paperback)
This book is an okay read, but unfortunately didn't meet my expectations. After reading Something from Tiffany's by the same author, I was expecting something just as good.

The book has a good storyline, but it does drag on a little. I found it a little tedious at times, although towards the end it did really pick up, and the ending was a wonderful surprise.

The Greatest Love Story of All Time
The Greatest Love Story of All Time
by Lucy Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a tedious read..., 10 Mar 2013
This book is an easy read, but I found it dull and therefore a tedious read. It concentrates far too much on "trying" to be funny, and I believe packing far too much content in, that the story seems rushed and a bit of a bore. Also it seems a little immature.

I did, however, enjoy the ending which I couldn't predict. Unfortunately I don't think I bother with Lucy's next novel.

On The Island
On The Island
by Tracey Garvis Graves

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: On The Island (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend who has very similar taste in books to me, and she said it was brilliant, so I decided to give it a go.

On reading the blurb and seeing where is book was heading did make me cringe slightly. On starting the book, it seemed very predictable and the style of writing seemed quite amateurish. I decided to stick with it, it's not often I quit a book unless it's dire. But I'm really glad I stuck with this book.

After the first few chapters, this book really picked up. I have read some reviews saying that it's not true to life, and things like this just couldn't/wouldn't happen, but who knows? I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole book, while they hunted for food, overcame life-threatening illness and other dangers, whilst "watching" a beautiful love story develop. I finished it in just a few hours, I just couldn't put it down.

This book is so different to the usual "chick-lit" I would read, I would maybe categorise this as romance/adventure. Such an interesting format for a book, and Ms Garvis Greaves managed to carry it through.

Admittedly, I don't usually bother with American books other than Jodi Picoult or Diane Chamberlain, as I find them too "Americanised" and some of the language can be very irritating. However, after reading this, and another book by an American author this week, I may be changing my mind!

I will eagerly await the next book by Tracey Garvis Greaves.

The Secret Supper Club
The Secret Supper Club
by Dana Bate

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwateringly Delicious!, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Paperback)
I really, really enjoyed this book!

I admit on picking it up, I was a little sceptical. You either get a fantastic American author such as Jodi Picoult or Diane Chamberlain, or others where I can't seem to get into the story as I don't know what on earth they're on about - too "Americanised".

This however, was fab. I found the plot very different, based on Hannah Sugarman, a "foody" who starts an "Underground Supper Club", with a dose of chick-lit thrown in, and the quantities of each totally complimented each other.

I read this book very quickly, as I couldn't put it down! Loving her writing style and brilliant descriptions in the first chapters, and with my heart in my mouth for the last chapters, dying to find out how it ended.

Absolutely brilliant. I do hope that if Ms Bates writes another book, she can continue in this brilliantly high standard.

Midwife on Call
Midwife on Call
by Agnes Light

3.0 out of 5 stars This is no "Call the Midwife"!, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Midwife on Call (Paperback)
I have read lots of midwifery books, and I normally thoroughly enjoy them. Particularly the "Call the Midwife" and also the books by Linda Fairley.

However, this author actually got on my nerves a little. Although her stories are good, I'd have liked to have heard a little more detail, rather than skimming over the details in order to pack a little more in, it seems.

As other reviewers have said, the author doesn't seem to be happy with anything, and at times comes across a little preachy! I also found practising intubation on a still-born baby to be quite distasteful, and if this used to in fact take place, I'd rather not have known about it!

The last chapter where she slates the NHS also got on my nerves. I was wanting to read about midwifery, not about the downfall of the NHS (in her opinion). She needs to get off her soap box!

I Heart London
I Heart London
by Lindsey Kelk

5.0 out of 5 stars A really fab read. Loved it :o), 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: I Heart London (Paperback)
Having read all of the "I Heart" series, I loved New York, Hollywood and Paris but felt let down by Vegas, so I was really, really pleased that the London book had it's sparkle back.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, couldn't wait to finish it but at the same time didn't want to! It is romantic, funny and on-the-edge of the seat gripping at the same time.

A brilliant book.

Cupcakes at Carrington's
Cupcakes at Carrington's
by Alexandra Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Unforunately Quite Dull!, 14 Feb 2013
This book promised everything that appeals to me, shopping, cupcakes, a pretty, modern front cover. I have read other shopping stories and have really enjoyed them so was expecting a similar quality.

Unfortunately this book was a bit of a nightmare to get into. It has an over-complicated plot which found me flicking back a few pages to re-cap every time I picked the book up again. There were characters popping up and I didn't know who they were as there was not enough of an introduction about them, and frankly I just found myself really confused.

I was hoping to read the series, now I'm not so sure. I will keep my eye on the reviews of the next book before I decide.

Superworm
Superworm
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as always., 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Superworm (Hardcover)
Another brilliant book from Julia Donaldson and her illustrator.

Delightful rhyming text which makes it easy to read and extremely enjoyable. My four year old daughter remembers most of the words already!

Kitty Princess And The Fantastic Frog
Kitty Princess And The Fantastic Frog
by Trevor Dickinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyable, Beautiful Pictures., 3 Feb 2013
Following on from Kitty Princess and the Newspaper Dress, this book is a delightful read.

It has beautiful, almost "collage" style illustrations, and similar to the first book, a "good manners" message within the story. My daughter loves it.

You Can't Eat a Princess!
You Can't Eat a Princess!
by Gillian Rogerson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant story and lovely pictures!, 3 Feb 2013
My daughter adores all things "princessy" so was eager to buy this book. She really enjoyed the story, and so did I. But what I particularly enjoyed was the pretty illustrations.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13