Profile for I'd-rather-read-a-book > Reviews

Me Before You
Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, The best book I have read in a long time!, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
I've not been ashamed to admit in the past that I am a huge fan of chick lit. However, I wasn't really sure whether this was of the chick lit genre, and I'm still not convinced, but in a good way! I was not sure whether to order this book or not, but did so after being recommended by a friend. I thought maybe it was going to be one of those books that people rave about, but turns out to be posh, hyped-up rubbish. But it wasn't.

From the moment I picked up this book, I couldn't put it down. It is a classic boy meets girl story, with a twist. The characters are very likeable. I felt myself thinking about this book much more than I would others. How would I feel if I was him? How would I feel if I was her?

I have felt probably every emotion possible whilst reading this book. I laughed, I cried, I sympathised. This is the first book I have read by this author, and I was amazed at her ability to REALLY tell a story. On that basis, I've ordered two more of her books.

I can't go too much into the story, it will ruin it for the reader. But this book has to be read, it is certainly one that I will never, ever forget.

White Wedding
White Wedding
by Milly Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 July 2012
This review is from: White Wedding (Paperback)
I have read almost all of Milly Johnson's books and have thoroughly enjoyed each one, this is no exception!

From the start of the book, I was addicted. The characters are engaging. In some places the storyline becomes a little predictable, but there are also some twists which I really wasn't expecting - a brilliant balance.

Makes lovely light reading, ideal for holidays. I can't recommend it enough. Fab!

The Village Vet: (Talyton St George)
The Village Vet: (Talyton St George)

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title!, 8 July 2012
Having read the first four books in the Talyton Vets series, I was expecting this book to be a direct continuation (given the title). However, it was about the recently opened animal sanctuary. Therefore I found the title misleading.

It was a "nice" story, but definitely not up to the same standard as the other books in the series, which I found addictive from the first page. I just plodded through this book, it wasn't boring, just not very exciting, and was very, very predictable! Halfway through this book I knew exactly how it was going to end!

It won't put me off reading the next book in the series, as they are usually very good. I hope this is a one off.

The Playgroup
The Playgroup
by Janey Fraser

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of Twists and Turns, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Playgroup (Paperback)
This is a book is written by the author Janey Fraser, who also goes by the pen name of Sophie King. I have read a few Sophie King books and have really enjoyed them, so I was eager to give this one a go.
This book is full of twists and turns. The main character, Gemma, has a secret, so the the story built very nicely as I was waiting to find out what her secret was.
I enjoyed most of the book. It is a very good story, and well written. The style of writing is exactly as Sophie King usually writes.
I would liked to have given this book five stars, however, although the story progressed nicely, the end was very predictable and the ending did seem rushed. However, please don't let this put you off. Give it a go.

Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams
Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams
by Jenny Colgan

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet, sweet story., 25 Jun. 2012
I absolutely adored this book, from start to finish. It is (excuse the pun!), such a sweet story.
It had me gripped from start to finish, such a delight to read. And the constant reference to old-fashioned sweeties just made me want to go out and buy some! The recipes inside were a nice surprise.

Full House (Quick Reads)
Full House (Quick Reads)
by Maeve Binchy

3.0 out of 5 stars Too short..., 25 Jun. 2012
Although it says on the cover that this is a quick read, and the price reflects this. I found it too short to engage with the characters, and the story felt rushed.
It's not an awful story, but sadly not one of my favourites.

Just Another Manic Mum-Day
Just Another Manic Mum-Day
by Mink Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable., 24 Jun. 2012
After reading Mink Elliott's first book, and thoroughly enjoying it, I was hoping that she would step up to the mark once more with her second book, which she did.
The character and her family have moved to Australia, and this book follows them trying to build a new life in a new country, building a business whilst pregnant too.
A really enjoyable book which kept me completely engrossed. There are many moments which I can relate to as a Mum of a young family.

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James

2.0 out of 5 stars Too gross for words...., 23 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
I couldn't wait for it to end. Okay, so I believed the hype and tried the book. Reading this book, has made me lose four evenings of my life that I will never get back.
As you've probably read in other reviews, the writing style of this author is terrible. Between the very graphic and sexually explicit scenes (and one towards the end of the book which I would actually call sickening!), there is not much of a plot or storyline.
Also, there are many toe-curling reasons I do not like this book as follows:
* Any book which has the words "Oh Crapola" in, is a sure-fire failure!
* Repeated phrases such as "Holy crap" and "Holy f**k"
* How many times can a woman say "Oh My!".....really?
* Constant, cringe-worthy references to her "Inner Goddess" and "Sub Conscious", i.e. "My sub-conscious is hiding behind the sofa".
The author has put too much research into shocking sex scenes, and not enough effort into actually writing a good book. I didn't like either of the characters. Mr Grey is not the man of my dreams, as many women have suggested, but a psychopathic control-freak. Ana, well she just needs a slap.
I couldn't wait for it to end.

Ten Years On
Ten Years On
by Alice Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-downable!, 18 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Ten Years On (Paperback)
Having read "Monday to Friday Man" by the same author, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I was excited to start her most recent book, and was not disappointed.
"Ten Years On", is an amazing, sad and yet heart-warming story of Becca and Joe, old university friends who meet up again after 10 years.
I won't spoil the storyline, all I can say it believe all of the good reviews, this is a beautiful story. I've not read such an enjoyable book in a long time, and was sad to finish it.
I can't wait for her next one!

The Midwife's Here!
The Midwife's Here!
by Linda Fairley

4.0 out of 5 stars A Heartwarming Read, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Midwife's Here! (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. I feel that it really delved into the patient's personalities which is something that I have found lacking in some books of a similar nature. I don't just want to read medical facts, it is nice to know a little background information too.
I found myself really liking Linda too. She comes across as a kind and gentle nurse/midwife and to read her story from her perspective, she comes across very genuine.
Linda said that there is so much she couldn't fit into this book, and she is writing another one. This I will eagerly await.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13