Profile for I'd-rather-read-a-book > Reviews

Summer With My Sister
Summer With My Sister
by Lucy Diamond

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland!, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Summer With My Sister (Paperback)
I have previously enjoyed Lucy Diamond's "Sweet Temptation" but I didn't like this one half as much.

I was bored from page one. It was an easy read, but I didn't find it captivating or engaging enough to want to pick it up.

The storyline wasn't very original, you could tell from the start what was going to happen, and I just trudged through and couldn't wait for it to end.

I wouldn't bother if you want excitement....

Ten Minutes to Fall in Love
Ten Minutes to Fall in Love
by Julia Llewellyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite readable but not addictive., 11 Sept. 2012
Having read other books by this author, I didn't find this one quite as good as her others. Although it is perfectly readable and interesting enough for me to persevere.

Firstly I would agree with what other reviewers have said - The cover and title are misleading and this book is not so much a love story, but a story about family life and problems.

Another reviewer has pointed out this is similar to the books by E L James - this has confused me slightly! This book is nothing like the Shades of Grey Trilogy and has little or no explicit scenes!

So I continue, it's an okay story, kept me reading, but nothing too thrilling.

The Angel at No. 33
The Angel at No. 33
by Polly Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick Lit with a difference!, 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Angel at No. 33 (Paperback)
Firstly, what drawed me in to reading this book was the unusual storyline. The story was being told by Sophie, who was in spirit and observing the life of her husband and friends after her death.

I thought it would be sad, and it is in places. But it is also heart-warming and sometimes funny.

I really liked Sophie, her husband Ollie and her best friend Jenny. I kind of expected it to end how it did. But it was a welcomed ending and although I guessed the ending I still really, really enjoyed reading the book.

Polly Williams at her best.

The Space Between Us
The Space Between Us
by Anna McPartlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, a must read., 2 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Space Between Us (Paperback)
WOW, what can I say? An amazing book.

Eve has been in an accident, and wakes to find her old, estranged friend Lily nursing her. Each chapter of this book starts with an old letter written between the two of them, which piece together the past and why they fell out and drifted apart.

The book was very addictive and I read it quickly. I wanted to know how things would pan out for Eve and Lily, also for Lily and her husband. I wanted to know what happened between Eve and Lily 20 years ago causing them to drift apart.

Anna McPartlin has an amazing style of writing which really sucked me into the story. I felt like I really knew the characters and could emphasise with them.

It is not your average chick-lit! It's quite a deep book which deals with a lot of sadness and agony. There were a couple of upsetting bits but relevant to the story-line and not simply added for the shock factor as it feels with some books.

I have read many books recently. But if I could read any again and find it just as good as the first time, it would be this one. Highly recommended.

Confessions of a Male Nurse (Confessions Series) (The Confessions Series)
Confessions of a Male Nurse (Confessions Series) (The Confessions Series)
by Michael Alexander

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast, easy reading, 29 Aug. 2012
I did enjoy this book. It was written in short, easy-to-read chapters. Some chapters were funny, some thought provoking.

My only criticism is the blurb makes it sound like it is based on a male nurse in a gynae ward, which I thought would be more interesting/funny. Also I would have liked to read a little more about the nurse's career. I found it jumped very quickly from place to place, I would have liked it to be more descriptive.

But over all, a good read.

Foetal Attraction
Foetal Attraction

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful!, 27 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Foetal Attraction (Kindle Edition)
Given the subject matter which I am very interested in, I thought I would really enjoy this book. Sadly not.

I found it very dull and hard to get into. The author tries too hard to fit as many puns as she can into one sentence, whilst neglecting to follow a storyline.

Most of the book is full of too many adjectives, which becomes confusing and gets in the way of actually being able to understand the story! It's almost like Lette has plucked as many words as possible out of the dictionary just to increase the word count!

She has tried too hard, and unfortunately it's neither funny nor makes good reading. Highly un-recommended.

The Last Letter from Your Lover
The Last Letter from Your Lover
by Jojo Moyes

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after previous reads by this author., 22 Aug. 2012
Having recently read "Me Before You", by this author, and can honestly say it was one of the best books I have ever read, I was eager to read another book by this author.

I can usually read a book in 3-4 days, this one took me 8 long, slow days, and I was bored to tears.

It just didn't flow well, the time jumping from present day back to 1964, and then backwards and forwards between 1960 to 1964, and back again to present day at the end, was at times extremely confusing! I found reading this book like wading through mud. Very, very tedious.

The basis for this story could have made an amazing read, if only the writing had been a little more captivating. The only thing that I did really like was the twist near the end, which was a pleasant surprise.

Summer Daydreams
Summer Daydreams

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable if a little predictable, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Summer Daydreams (Kindle Edition)
I have read most of Carole Matthews' books, and although this isn't her best, it is definitely enjoyable. It's a good relaxing, summer read, where not too much thought is required.

I enjoyed the story, and although there were many twists and turns I found them very predictable. I liked most of the characters and found them endearing which made comfy reading, like wrapping yourself up in a cosy blanket. I feel that one of the characters should have got her comeuppance but didn't, and I'd have liked this part of the story to develop further.

All in all, it's good fun, but don't read if you're looking for anything deep and meaningful.

Before I Met You
Before I Met You
by Lisa Jewell

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enchanting read!, 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Before I Met You (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Lisa Jewell, and have read all of her books, therefore I was desperate to get my hands on her latest book, and I completed it in three days - not an easy feat with four children off for the summer holidays!

I really enjoyed the parallel timeline of the story, and how as Betty was investigating her Grandmother's life, the next chapter would provide further background information on Arlette's story.

Arlette's story was engaging, and very sad. I found the description and detailing of the era absolutely spell binding.

I really liked the main character Betty too, which always helps!

Do not let yourself believe that this is simply fluffy chick-lit, it is so much more. I would say this is Lisa's best ever book yet! Amazing.

The Au Pair
The Au Pair
by Janey Fraser

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 6 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Au Pair (Paperback)
After reading "The Playgroup" and enjoying it I thought I would give Janey Fraser's second novel a go (although she is actually the well-written author Sophie King using her "real" name).

This is quite a long book, 570 pages long, but a very easy read. It's not too deep, but well written and very enjoyable. Definitely ideal as a summer read where not too much thought is needed.

The many characters in the book do get a little confusing at times, but the ending of the book just involves a few of the main characters, which makes you realise that not too much attention is actually needed towards the "extras". I liked the humour involving use of the English language by the Au Pairs, throughout the book, and the little twist to the story towards the end was a welcome surprise.

Altogether, a very good book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13