Profile for Richard Kelly > Reviews

Content by Richard Kelly
Top Reviewer Ranking: 731

Richard Kelly (Manchester, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings
D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings
Price: 11.87

4.0 out of 5 stars They were as easy as any others to fit, 11 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I replaced the cheap strings on my guitar with a set of these. They were as easy as any others to fit, string and tune. To be honest they hold tune well, but you do expect that from strings really. They are much better than my old ones...I'm not a great player so I can't really comment on more than that really. All I need my strings to do is stay in tune and they do that.

Ultrasport Basic Nav Run 200 GPS Pulse Computer - Black
Ultrasport Basic Nav Run 200 GPS Pulse Computer - Black
Price: 49.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Some issues, 18 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fairly basic GPS watch, this basic edition does not include HR function or Data upload to a PC. I'm comparing it to my wife's Garmin Forerunner 110 which is similar in both price and functionality. First impression was that it looked very similar, it's just a large slab of charcoal coloured rubberised plastic, it's quite large but it fits fairly comfortably. After charging I've had loads of problems getting it to sync the GPS, it does it eventually but every time I do it it takes about 5 minutes, where as my wife's one usually connects within 30 seconds. When running they do show pretty much the same distance run, but only in a direct line with the sky. I stopped to have a chat with someone whilst out in a slightly covered area and noticed that when I moved on I had done 1.5k, the watch had continued to show me as moving even though I wasn't and it was showing the same pace as I had been going before I stopped (again the Garmin didn't). There are plenty of other functions but the menu system is quite convoluted and the instructions are quite difficult to follow - its relatively straight forward to set the GPS on and then run though. The watch does maintain its charge much better then the Garmin one does, but you only really need it to maintain charge whilst you are out running so unless you are doing 10 hours that shouldn't really be an issue. Charging is via USB and it's easier to get the pins lined up on this over the Garmin one.

If I had to choose between this one and the Garmin Forerunner 110 I'd go with the Garmin one as it syncs faster and gave more accurate readings under covered conditions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2014 7:50 AM BST

Revolutionary Iran
Revolutionary Iran
by Axworthy Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Account, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Revolutionary Iran (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was born in the early 70s and have a vague recollection of the Shah being ousted and the start of the Theocracy being introduced into Iran. With the on going issues in the middle east being something that I have been interested I thought that this book would be a good place to get a solid understanding of the issue. To be said it has fulfilled that aim admirably. Michael Axworthy has pulled off that most difficult of things a scholarly work that is readable and accessible to people with only a passing understanding of the subject. Sometimes it can be challenging to remember where cities are and exactly which scholarly figure is currently the subject, but it never detracts from the information that is being put towards us. It also doesn't pull any punches and does delve into the reasons why western powers weren't as keen to stop the Iran-Iraq war as maybe they should have been.

A deeply impressive book.

Revellutions 1:18 Scale RC Blue Mantis Buggy
Revellutions 1:18 Scale RC Blue Mantis Buggy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 9 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This car is great fun! You need 4*AA batteries for the controller, but everything else is provided. Once you have charged the battery for the car and then paired the car to the controller, using the supplied instructions, you just need to find a large space and have fun. We have used it outside on the high speed setting and it is great. There is a small local park with a couple of small jumps and it has coped with these with no major problems (the front bumper has snapped off, but it did that when it was driven into the curb by one of my kids). From a full charge it last somewhere between 25/30 minutes before it really starts to struggle. One word of warning though, it's not water proof so don't run it through any puddles! The remote does deserve a mention, as it has a single trigger for forward/backwards and a wheel for steering - very intuitive and simple to use.

Possibly not the most robust of RC cars for outside, but it is great fun!

Eyrie
Eyrie
by Tim Winton
Price: 11.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Eyrie (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tom Keely is a man with many problems. He has lost his job. He has no money. He may be addicted to prescription pills, or he may have a neurological disorder. He lives in a flat a the top of a tower block and has cut himself off from human contact. His life has become a humdrum of drink, pills, sleep and occasional trips to the local café for coffee. Then he meets someone from his past - Gemma a damaged abused child who was fostered by his parents for a while - and he forms a bond with her grandson Kai who is equally damaged.

It is then that Gemma's back story starts to catch up with her...and it is not going to end well for anyone.

I do have some issues with Tim Winton's writing style although nothing that really distracts from my enjoyment of his works. He doesn't use speech marks, although you can usually work out what is being said most of the time, but it can take a while to get used to. The first half of this novel was quite slow, but the second half speeds up as the action starts to kick in. I enjoyed it!

A Love Like Blood
A Love Like Blood
by Marcus Sedgwick
Price: 16.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Literary Vampire Thriller, 9 May 2014
This review is from: A Love Like Blood (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Based on the blurb this book sounds like it should be on a par with The Historian, however it is something entirely different. Charles Jackson is in Paris at the end of the 2nd World War and he sees into a hidden and perverse world that involves blood, death and idol worship. He finds that he is chasing somebody who is impersonating an eastern European noble. Bad things happen everywhere he travels chasing this "person." It sounds like it should be thrilling. However it plods along as Charles Jackson is actually a medical man specialising in blood related diseases and we follow him as he travels to conferences and walks around cities. There is much rumination on the meaning of blood, however this doesn't really progress the narrative and just slows the pace down. It also suffers from the problem that literary thrillers suffer from, they are too slow to be consistently thrilling. The end was also a massive let down, I had a pretty goods idea of how it was going to end well before the final denouement.

If you are looking for a thrilling, vampire novel then look else where. If you like your books a bit more literary (and consequently less thrilling) then this may be worth a look hence the 3 starts.

Peppersmith tingz 100% xylitol sweets - Strawberry and Vanilla 15 g (Pack of 18, Total 450 Sweets)
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but unsatisfying, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest all I can really say about these sweets is that they are very hard, taste lovely but ultimately don't fill you up the same way that sugar filled ones do. The flavour if these is almost exactly the same as that of the protein powered I use daily (which tastes very similar to strawberry nesquik milkshake). The sweets are almost rock hard when you first place them in your mouth, after a while you can crush them and they do a weird thing that makes your mouth feel cold when you do! My only gripe is that they have almost no calories and just don't fill you up in the same way that a bag of normal sweets would. I would need to eat several bags to feel full, but by then the xylitol may well have done its thing to me!

Lovely taste though.

Weetabix Strawberry Breakfast Drink 250 ml (Pack of 8)
Weetabix Strawberry Breakfast Drink 250 ml (Pack of 8)
Price: 11.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I train regularly and use Strawberry protein power very pretty much every day. I thought that these may make a fair substitute, but they are far too sweet for me although the strawberry taste was good. I know that they are meant as a breakfast replacement, but to be honest they also didn't fill me up very much - lots of sugar and not that much of anything else really. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy them, but they really are no replacement for a solid breakfast. I took them with a normal bowl of cereal and they kept me going for longer.

Authentic RDX Compression Flex Shorts &Gel Flex Groin Cup Guard MMA Short UFC Fight
Offered by B2Fitness
Price: 36.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 5 Mar 2014
I'm a black belt at Taekwon-Do and when I enter competitions I need to wear a groin guard underneath my dobok. The easiest way is to have a set of shorts that allow for easy insertion of a cup. Also as I'm 40+ I find that I perform better when wearing compression kit (be it shorts or tops) and don't suffer as much the following few days afterwards. These shorts looked like they would fit exactly what I need and to be honest they aren't bad. The shorts are reasonably tight but not oppressively so and they are pretty comfortable whilst on (I'm 180cm and 72kg and the medium are fine for me) but the cup is really quite hard to get in whilst wearing the shorts as you have to fit it on the inside of the shorts and it does tend to get stuck on the material on the way in. Once the cup is in it's pretty comfortable - it's taken several kicks so far and both me and it are fine.

Apart from the issue with getting the cup in (I prefer to perform my patterns without a cup, then put it in for sparring, although I can cope with it being in all the time) they are perfectly fine for me.

Philips PerfectCare Pure GC7635/30 Steam Generator Iron - One Perfect Temperature - 240g Pressurised Steam Boost
Price: 156.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Iron with one gripe, 24 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good example of the new generation of clothes ironing products, a steam generating iron. If you haven't come across a steam generating iron before then what you get is a large reservoir for water which is joined to your iron by a heavy cord. What this allows is your iron to generate huge quantities of steam making your clothes easier to iron in a shorter period of time. The iron itself is satisfyingly heavy in the hand and the reservoir does hold enough water for several loads of ironing. What Philips have done with this model is to remove all the usual controls that you have on an iron, so all you need to do is turn it on wait for it to heat up (it only has one temperature which is quite cool as irons go, but the steam makes up for this loss of temperature). What they have also done is to have an anticalc filter which is a replaceable item, this is something that will need changing every six months or so although you do get a spare one in the box. You need to change these filters so that the heater doesn't fur up with calcium deposits which are then ejected with the steam (I had an older model which did exactly this and the marks are extremely difficult to remove from your clothes afterwards). If only they come up with with something that means you didn't have to replace these then they would be perfect (TEFAL have replace them!).

It's a good iron, but you will need to remember to replace the anticalc filter on a periodic basis.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20