Profile for Richard Kelly > Reviews

Content by Richard Kelly
Top Reviewer Ranking: 991

Richard Kelly (Manchester, England)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
GLENFIDDICH Solera Reserve 15 Year Old Speyside Malt Whisky 70cl Bottle
GLENFIDDICH Solera Reserve 15 Year Old Speyside Malt Whisky 70cl Bottle
Offered by Roblex Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely stuff, 30 Jun. 2015
I've had a few bottles of this now and it is a lovely, smooth, easy drinking whisky. The 12 year old Glenfiddich is the type of whisky that somebody who doesn't drink whisky will probably like (massive generalisation I know) but once you've been around a bit and I'm now in my early 40s you realise that it's a bit harsh around the edges and that the taste doesn't really linger. This 15 year old is a completely different beast. MUCH smoother. MUCH better on the tongue - you do actually get notes of honey and vanilla. Very easy to drink, it just goes down and down and down. For the cost over the standard 12 year old, this is much better value and a much finer quality of product in my opinion. The 18 year old Genfiddich is also a lovely tipple, but again for the additional cost I don't feel that you get much more.

A lovely, smooth easy drinking whisky.

Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5440/83 with DualCut Technology Cordless Use and Beard Comb Attachments

4.0 out of 5 stars A good set of cordless clippers, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using a set of Remington ceramic clippers for over 10 years, they still cut very well but the battery is all but dead now so I need to use them plugged in. This new set of clippers is a direct replacement, apart from the stainless steal cutters. Initial thoughts were that the comb as far too flimsy, however I was wrong on that as the comb works excellently. You mount it on to the body of the clippers and then adjust the depth you wish to cut on the body of the device, this moves the comb up for down from a closer or longer cut (no more changing combs, unless you want to fit a fixed length beard comb, which I don't). It's very light and easy to work with. Battery life looks to be pretty good. Cutting is a breeze and I have had no problems with hairs catching in the blades or comb and fouling. It's very easy to get an even cut.

A good set of clippers.

Fates and Furies
Fates and Furies
by Lauren Groff

2.0 out of 5 stars Muses and whimpers, 15 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Fates and Furies (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the story of Lotto and Mathilde (Lotto is short for Lancelot) and we join it just after they have eloped and married. Their story is shown through a series of flashbacks and then the story progressing forwards though time until they hit the modern day. Lotto finds solace in Mathilde, thinking her to be his perfect muse, whilst Matilde appears to find Lotto to be her ideal husband.

The two main characters some across as rather vacuous - Lotto especially early on - and don't really get a handle on what Matilde is at all. There's lots of parties, people getting older/angrier/successful in fact just about everything, including the kitchen sink is in here. I found that the book just about held my interest to the end, but every time I sat down to read it I would come away with a slight sense of something being wrong. To me personally the language was too florid, not massively overblown, but just a little bit too pretentious for my liking.

Not a bad book, but not for me.

JollySports Resistance Bands Set 6 Loop Best for Training Men or Women Legs Knee Arms and Low to Heavy Duty Workout and Exercise (Multi Color x 6, 5cm x 61cm)
Offered by Grabbits

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Bands to add Resistace to your Workout, 15 Jun. 2015
I'm a martial artist and I'm always looking at new exercises to add to my home workouts. I was offered a set of these exercise bands to review and after a few weeks of working out with them I thought I'd offer my review of them. This set offers a colour coded set of 6 bands ranging from X-Light (very thin and stretchy providing very light resistance) to XX Heavy (thick and providing a great deal of resistance).

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the length of them, I felt that I needed the thicker bands to stretch more so that I could do the exercises I wanted to do (I'm nearly 6ft with longish arms and I'm reasonably broad across the shoulders) however after a bit of research online I found different exercises and these bands suddenly became much more useful to me. I use them when I'm stretching my legs (mainly hamstrings) and to provide a reasonable and quick upper body workout - they can also be used to strengthen your groin, help your hip flexers, stomachs, backs etc. Simply look online for resistance band exercises and there are hundreds of different exercises you can do with these.

They come in a little bag which means you can take them with you when travelling. I recently spent a week in a hotel for work, I took these with me and had a reasonable workout in my room (some plyometric exercises and some strength resistance work provided by these)

X-Sense DS22 Battery Powered Smoke Detector Fire Alarm with Photoelectric Sensor
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Small form factor battery powered smoke alarm, 15 Jun. 2015
This smoke alarm is much smaller than the previous ones I've used. It measures 95mm in diameter and 40mm in depth. As it's smaller it is less intrusive when fitted. The alarm section also clicks into a fitting ring so it is easy to take of the ceiling when you need to paint etc. In use all I can say is that when tested with a match it went off and the alarm tone is piercing. The instructions state that a standard 9v battery (provided) should last for 3 years. There is a visual indicator to show that the battery is working, there is an LED that flashes every 45 seconds. The manufactures state this it is state of the art and tracks slow moving flames etc but I don't have anyway of testing this. Every house should have at least one smoke alarm and this one looks to be a good option based on its size.

Wireless Doorbell, AVANTEK DTZ5-12B Portable Door Bell Kit, 36 Chime Tones, 1000 ft / 300 m Range [1 Touch Button & 2 Plug-In Door Chimes]
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wireless doorbell, 15 Jun. 2015
This wireless doorbell is exactly what I needed. There are several spots in my house where I can't hear the traditional doorbell that's setup right by my front door. What you get with this is a door button - you can fix this by either screwing it to the wall/door or by using the double-sided sticky pads provided to stick it to the door - and two plug-in bells, these are prepaired with the button and all they need is power, so you can run an extension into the garden and plug it in outdoors! The tones that are loaded on the bells are not great, but the default one is fine and if you manage to set it on one you don't like and quick turn off/on quickly resets it back to the default one. They are all high gloss black and look okay whilst plugged into sockets that are on show.

Philips SC2008/11 IPL Lumea Precision Plus Hair Regrowth Prevention System
Philips SC2008/11 IPL Lumea Precision Plus Hair Regrowth Prevention System

4.0 out of 5 stars Light based hair removal, 28 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife has been using this for the last month and here are her thoughts on it.

Firstly check that your skin colour and hair colour are suitable, my daughter has very pale skin and red hair so she fails on two counts. Once you are ready to proceed ensure that you have read and reread the instruction booklet! Before proceeding you have to shave the desired area first, only then are you ready to start. In application is it pretty straight forward, place near area to be treated, press trigger continue until the whole area is done. My wife reported no irritation on her legs, but did report that there were flashes of heat whilst using on her underarms. The idea is that the root is damaged/killed so that hair doesn't grow back and after a couple of applications - initially two weeks apart and then spread further apart - there is a definite lessening in hair density. One of the largest issues is actually ensuring that you cover the whole area to be treated, obviously you can only cover a very small area each time you press the trigger and ensuring that an entire leg is covered takes some doing.

This version comes with attachments for general, facial and bikini usage.

Science in Sport 1 kg Strawberry Whey Protein Powder
Science in Sport 1 kg Strawberry Whey Protein Powder

3.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Protein Powder, 26 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This SiS protein powder is pretty much that, powdered whey protein. You place 250ml of water in a protein shaker, or other mixing vessel, then add three scoops of this powder (30g) to that and mix. You get 23g of protein in each shake, along with some carbs, sweetener and some colouring...there is very little else added. I have to say that I've been using an all in one protein powder (protein, creatine, amino acids etc) for years as part of my training program - I do martial arts - and I've always preferred the strawberry flavour protein. This is the first time I've used an SiS formula and to be honest I'm not a massive fan, the taste is very thin and I find the texture to be a but funny . It mixes MILES better than my usual stuff (Optimum Health All in One) but it has a lower protein content, although it has a higher ratio of protein to carbs so you need less of it in your mixer. You are paying a premium for this as they are effectively guaranteeing that it meets elite competition doping standards.

It's a high quality protein mix at a premium price

Skipping Rope - Fast Speed Rope for Fitness Training - Includes FREE Skip Circuit Full Body Workout & FREE Carry Case - Boxing, MMA, Crossfit Workout, WOD's, Cardio - Best Professional Ropes - Black Long 9ft Cable - Great for Exercise - For Men & Women - Improve Strength & Stamina - LIFETIME GUARANTEE
Offered by Roboshop Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Speed Skipping Rope, 21 May 2015
I'm a 43 year old male, martial artist. I do loads of home training. I used to do lots of skipping, and I do mean lots of skipping...then I got out of the habit as I started doing different exercises. I was offered the opportunity to review this rope and was sent a complimentary copy...here I go!

Firstly it falls very much in the speed rope category - it's looks are functional and it's extremely good at what it does, which for me is raising my heart beat quickly. Skipping is an excellent cardio exercise...especially when done quickly.

Secondly - it is dead easy to use (as long as you are used to speed skipping). The rope is easy to shorten - you can see from the product picture that there are a couple of grommets that hold the rope in place on the handles, I turned the screw in them by hand and that was more than adequate to hold them in place. I'm 5 11 and I've taken about 8 inches out of the rope (4 on each side) and it swings quickly and easily. The only issue so far is that the excess rope sometimes catches on my hands as it spins and I may need to cut it off.

Thirdly - the rope itself is made from a plastic covered, braided material. Whilst this makes the rope light and allows it to spin at very high speed, when you get it wrong, and I do, then it doesn't half smart when it hits you.

I own several skipping ropes. A reebok speed rope, it compares very favourably with this, and is probably slightly better in use. I also have a Golds Gym skipping rope with weighted handles and a leather rope - it's not quite as good, but from a speed skipping point of view it is better. If you are after a "nice" wooden handled leather skipping rope for real exercise try the Golds Gym one. If you are after an easy to use speed skipping rope then this is more than up to the job.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2015 7:14 AM BST

Ultrasport Men's Rainbow Compression Capri Pants - Black, Medium
Ultrasport Men's Rainbow Compression Capri Pants - Black, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Good 3/4 length compression pants for sports training, 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must be honest, I don't wear these pants for running, I use them whilst doing martial arts training. I'm a slim 43 year old bloke and to be honest when I train now I get more aches and pains than I used to and I do find that compression shorts help my recovery. I have a set of full length pants, which are too hot to wear at the moment and a couple of pairs of mid thigh length ones I was hoping that these 3/4 length ones would be a good compromise and they have proved to be.

They fit quite tightly (which is the point) and have a draw sting at the waist (I'm a 30/32 and had no problems with them being too tight around the waist) they come down to just below the knees and you can feel the compression all the way down to the bottom of the pants. I was a bit concerned about the small zipped pocket at the back of the shorts, but when doing sit-ups I couldn't feel it. The material did a reasonable job of transporting moisture off my skin (unfortunately in my case that was straight onto my martial arts kit). The best thing I can say about them is that when I was training I couldn't even feel that they were there, they just provide a reasonable amount of compression to the muscles and allow me to train vigorously.

These are exactly what I was after, a light weight set of 3/4 length compression pants - the compression is provided by spandex so if you are after really tight fitting compression shorts these probably won't be for you. I have neoprene compression gear for when my legs really need it (cycling in my case), but they don't provide the flexibility I need when doing martial arts training.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20