Profile for jon3000 > Reviews

Blackwater Park
Blackwater Park
Offered by rbmbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly outstanding on all levels., 7 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Blackwater Park (Audio CD)
Where to start....
Well, as this is my first Opeth album, It probably will stand out more to me than any other Opeth albums i will listen to in the future... then again maybe not.
If there was one word to discribe this album, it is 'EPIC'.
I'm allways keeping my mind open to the various sub-genres of metal and the millions of top quality bands, Opeth being the latest band to grab my attention. Having never heard any Opeth songs, i took a risk with buying this album, as i knew them to be a death metal band, death metal not allways being my cup of tea. How suprised i was. I'ts the perfect blend of heavy riffs and acoustic goodness, death growls and really good singing.
The death vocals do it for me though.
The album is very techincal. The shear quality of the songs is amazing, with the average running up to about 9 - 10 minutes in length. The tracks that really stood out to me are 'Bleak' which has a killer riff at the begining, then fades into an acoustic part and then back into heavy stuff to finish it off, clocking in at 9.15. 'The Drapery Falls' also is very impresive as in the Title track. Even the cover art is cool.
This is my first Opeth album and it certainly wont be my last at any rate. Only problem now is which album to head to next!

Sound of White Noise
Sound of White Noise
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound Of White Noise, 23 May 2003
This review is from: Sound of White Noise (Audio CD)
Anthrax's studio albums are a rare thing in the UK. so i was quite pleased when i managed to get a hold of this album. The Sound Of White Noise is the 1st album with John Bush on vocals and sadly, Dan Spitz's last album with the band. The songs on the album still retain the heavyness of early days. allthough some of the speed is gone. The album does have quite a few memorable tracks such as the opening 'Potters Field', 'Hy Pro Glo', and 'This Is Not An Exit'. My favorite tracks here are 'Only' and '1000 Points Of Hate' both being fast and heavy. 'Black Lodge is the slowest track but is still pretty strong. Over all, A good solid album that you cant go wrong with.