Profile for Bluedragonfly > Reviews

Content by Bluedragonfly

Bluedragonfly "Blue" (Stourport on Severn, UK)

The Altruis Duad
The Altruis Duad

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 26 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Altruis Duad (Kindle Edition)
I really like this book. I thought from a few pages in that I'd come across something interesting, in the Tradition of Lord of the Rings - if Lord of the Rings had been written by Mervyn Peake, (with some creative input from the Brothers Grimm), instead of by Tolkien. But comparing it to any other work soon fell by the wayside as I read more. This to me feels like a 'Classic' - it has the taste, the smell, oh I don't know - the Presence of a Classic, crackling-fires and dark windy nights. Castles, and Eves of Battles. Comradeship. Its PEOPLED with characters you find yourself quickly interested in, in a richly imagined world that's a pleasure to visit. I haven't finished it yet, but I know it wont disappoint at the end, because its already not disappointing me - its been a long time since I came across something I wish I had read as a child - though I would have had nightmares if I had. Wonderful, terrible nightmares!

Drift (Dr. Who Series)
Drift (Dr. Who Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars some of whom we are going to be pleased made it through to the end, 9 July 2014
I think this is a bold experiment in Doctor Who storytelling. It has the pace of a thriller, building up speed as the book progresses, as a thriller should - a surprisingly successful mixing of genres, I think. It gives us lots of characters, some of whom are going to live, some of whom are going to die in the course of the unfolding story, and some of whom we aren't going to care about but, by the end, some of whom we are going to be pleased made it through to the end. It also gives us a very different kind of alien, one that is as implacable, and as unbeatable as the weather. The characters of the Fourth Doctor and Leela are very well drawn, the Doctor in his most serious, almost sombre cast of mind here, with little time for humour as he battles to understand the mystery of the annihilating power closing in on a small, isolated American town.

Doctor Who: Paradox Lost
Doctor Who: Paradox Lost
by George Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars One to keep and read again, 16 May 2014
I've been reading the Eleventh Doctor novels recently and some - most - have been 'so so', 'disposable', not something I'd ever pick up and read again. One I couldn't even finish, I thought it was so weak. But THIS - oh, this is the first I've come across that made me think 'Classic'. This I will keep and look forward to re-reading. I will also be trying some of Mann's other books. And I'd love to see more Who by this author. Or, if not, then more Professor Angelchrist books, please.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2014 3:37 PM GMT

Doctor Who: Harvest of Time
Doctor Who: Harvest of Time
by Alastair Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the Doctor ordered!, 8 Jun. 2013
Finally!!! And THANK YOU Alastair Reynolds, Mr, Sir. This lovingly written book is a complete gem. It perfectly captures the spirit of the Pertwee era right down to the smallest detail - like Mike Yates eating a ham sandwich, much to the annoyance of the Brigadier. You can actually remember seeing that scene on the black and white telly in the corner of your parent's living room. This book is THAT good. The dialog between the main characters rings so MANY familiar bells, you can hear every word just as if it was being spoken by the actors who played the roles.

If this WAS an actual aired story from the Pertwee era we would all (still) be talking about it even now as a 'classic'. Its as if Reynolds was channelling Malcolm Hulke AND Barry Letts, whilst Terrance Dicks looked on and occasionally passed him scribbled notes on continuity.

Sit back, open this book, and be transported back to saturday teatime, 1972ish.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2014 3:36 PM GMT

Doctor Who: The Nameless City: Second Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Will make you go 'Oooooooooo' with delight., 10 Mar. 2013
Scott captures the voice and mannerisms of the Second Doctor, and of Jamie, perfectly. Maybe thats only because he's filched them from various episodes, but who cares, after the terrible start to this series this book is a little gem, its a pleasure, it will make you go 'Oooooooooooo' and put a smile on your face not once but several times. The plot is fine, a nice little romp, and the 'surpise cameo guest villian appearance' is as cheeky a bit of wish-fulfilment as I've ever come across, thrown into the enjoyable mix just to make that little bit sweeter.

Doctor Who: A Big Hand For The Doctor: First Doctor - 50th Anniversary (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Doctor WHO, exactly?????, 10 Mar. 2013
This is NOT a First Doctor story. Maybe its a Fifty Seventh Doctor story. For all Colfer knows or cares! If you don't believe me just send for the free sample, don't actually waste your money buying this, it will only infurate you. Pah! Spit!