Profile for Dan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One Printer
HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, 18 Jan. 2014
I've had a couple of wireless printers before, but they were always so unstable that I ended up having them wired in. Now I'm working off and therefore printing from, so many different devices I opted for getting a better wireless printer. It's certainly stable, I've never had a hiccup from the 5 different devices connected to it, at least for printing. I haven't tried scanning to anything but my main PC so far.

Printing from my PC/laptop/mac is a simple matter of hitting print, but it's a little more convoluted with my phone and tablet - you have to set up an email address for the printer, then instead of hitting print you email whatever it is from the tab/phone to that address, which prints. The only advantage I can see in this is being able to print while not connected to the network, but in my case that would only be when I'm out so it's not really relevant. Still, setting it all up is straightforward enough and only takes 5 minutes and I understand that this email system is quite standard so I'm not too fussed. One handy feature is being able to print on both sides - yes, that can be done from the windows side but you have to turn the pages manually and stuff - this does it for you and saves time and paper. It's worth mentioning that this is all pretty quick as well. it takes a few seconds to warm up but then it really motors through whatever it's supposed to do. I suppose it's to be expected given its size and price, but it's gratifying to have a printer that's fast and efficient.

Scanning is again very simple and can be done from the printer, via a small touchscreen display. You choose whether you want to copy or scan the document (you can fax as well but I though those things died out with the floppy disk) and choose what document format you want it in. It's nothing special, most printers have that option buried away somewhere, but it's all very simply implemented here with no hassle at all.

There are a few other nice features such as a separate tray for photo paper which is a welcome addition. There is the option to print from an SD card of flash drive, as well as scanning to email. One strange thing is that the colour ink cartridges are in three separate colours instead of having one colour cartridge and one black. Maybe this is par for the course with larger printers. I thought it'd be handy - I mostly print documents so I'm primarily using black or blue, and hardly use red or yellow, but given the price of ink and that the cheapest way to get them seems to be in multipacks, I don't see a saving.

There are a couple of downsides to this printer - first, it's quite expensive. I paid £95 but it's normally up for £200 which is crazy. It's also big; this isn't something you can squeeze into a corner somewhere like with cheaper printers. It's a bit of a bugger to set up, mostly because of the configurations and setting up the remote printing but once that's out of the way it's no trouble so it shouldn't put you off unless you really want a plug and play kit. The main gripe for me and reason I deducted a star is because of the frequent paper jams. I think this is because loading the paper requires it be slid into a tray and is inevitable not perfectly aligned. Regardless, it happens. It's easy to fix, you remove the back which just clips off, then pull the paper out. It does happen too often though which shouldn't happen in a printer of this price.

Jak and Daxter Trilogy (Playstation Vita)
Jak and Daxter Trilogy (Playstation Vita)
Offered by Base

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible port - get on PS3, 18 Dec. 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
It's very rare that I stop playing a game and delete it in disgust but that's what happened here. For a studio like Naughty Dog to release such a broken game is quite shocking really. The constant framerate issues, poor textures and low resolution I can cope with but the controls are incredibly floaty and imprecise, something that is gamebreaking in a platformer that relies on precise controls. Just to give an idea at how bad it is, online guides estimate 7-8 hour to platinum for Jak 1. I'm normally slightly under time with such estimates, but I'm 6 hours in and haven't left misty island. The crap controls are the reason for this - I can't see what I'm doing or where I'm going, and half the time the game either doesn't do what I want, controls kick in with far too much lag or he just slides around like it's an ice rink.

If you want to experience this game get it on PS3. It's the best version and is cheaper. This is just a horrendous port and as a result, one of the worst games I've ever played. Second star goes for the humour, the one thing the clowns working on this port couldn't ruin.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Black
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recomment highly enough, 16 July 2012
It took me about a microsecond to adapt to this mouse. It is wonderfully ergonomic and fits comfortably into my hand. You don't need to reach for any of the buttons and the BlueTrack works excellently on every surface I have tested it on. It is portable enough and whilst it isn't in the usual mould of stunning aesthetics common with the latest Microsoft tech, it looks well enough.
I use this for my laptop as I am not overly keen on touchpad trackers. The reciever is tiny and is barely noticable when plugged into the side. Installation was easy - you do have a proer installation but you can plug and play just fine. It uses a single AA battery, unlike many that use AAA batteries, which I never seem to have! When gaming, at least what the limited specs of the laptop allow, it is perfectly responsive and I don't recall a single issue with lag. In fact, it's as close to perfect as I can think. The only issue is the lack of a forward button on the side - it only has a back button, however this is quite common and I've become used to it. If you're looking for a near perfect mouse at a very good price, buy this one.

Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black  (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging)
Offered by Jeremiah Deals

2.0 out of 5 stars Regret falling for the looks!, 16 July 2012
I'll be honest, I wan't thinking very logically when I purchased this. Various tech sites have given this very average reviews but, face it, it's a beautiful design for a mouse. That was my downfall and I wasted forty quid on an otherwise poor mouse.
First issues were apparent instantly. It is not at all comfortable to use. there is no ergonomic design to speak of, meaning it is never comfortable to use and took a long time to get used to. I put up with it as it looked so good on the desk. However once the other issues surfaced I started to lose my patience. Firstly it goes through batteries alarmingly quick and the pointer seems to variably responsive - meaning that the same motion can at one point move the pointer across the screen, and another time will only move two inches. Sometimes it wont move at all or seems to be switched off. The same applies to the scroll button - erratic. I have a decent mouse mat so there can't be any issues with the surface, but this mouse really doesn't do the job. And don't even get me started on gaming... too late.
I understand that a dedicated, wired mouse is preferable when gaming and there is inevitably a tiny amount of lag whenever wireless technology is used, but as my gaming habits rarely venture into FPS games on my PC (I prefer to use the XBOX because my friends are all on XBL) and I usually play RTS and RPG's, such presicion isn't necessary. However even playing these there is so much lag I can barely play with this mouse at times. I know it isn't the game disrupting it as the actual games all run smoothly and when I use a Xbox controller it's fine.
For the price of this mouse I could have almost afforded a top gaming mouse. I have a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 for my laptop that's absolutely perfect and can play Half Life 2 with no lag issues on a laptop a good deal lower in performant capability than the PC, leaving me to conclude that it is this mouse that is indeed, rubbish. I wont go into the other mouse here as it's of topic but O'll have another review up of that to compare and I would definitely recommend that instead.
It's such a shame as the design of this mouse is really stunning. Unfortuantely the rest of it doesn't come up to expectations. If you just want a good looking mouse, this is the one. If you want one that works, I would strongly recommend you to look elsewhere.

Metallica "And Justice..." Premium Guitar Pick Necklace
Metallica "And Justice..." Premium Guitar Pick Necklace

5.0 out of 5 stars Sick, 16 July 2012
I wasn't sure how this would look on me but it looks brilliant. I don't think I've ever had so many compliments for such a cheap accessory! Only problem is I caught it on something and the chain is broken - not really a problem though, that's easily repalced.

TP-LINK TL-WN951N - TP-Link Advd wireless N300 PCI Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN951N - TP-Link Advd wireless N300 PCI Adapter
Offered by UKStocked

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 16 July 2012
First issue was installation. The bracket is slightly too small, meaning that it didn't slot into the motherboard untill I reshaped the bracket. I thought this may be a problem with the width of my PC but other things (PCI soundcard, graphics card & new PCIe wireless adapter), in the same section, fit just fine. Once the adapter was in, it was up and running easily enough, but I soon noticed that internet speeds were slower than when the USB reciever was used, depite having 4/5 bars on the signal. A quick speedtest showed a download speed of 7mbps and upload of 1.5mbps. My internet speeds if plugged in are 60/20 and using the dongle (my PC is in the adjoining room to the router) it's aroung 50/15. Obviously I can come to one logical conclusion. This adapter is hopeless!!

COMO - 60 DVD Blu-ray / 84 CD Media Storage Shelves - Oak / Silver
COMO - 60 DVD Blu-ray / 84 CD Media Storage Shelves - Oak / Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead useful, 29 Dec. 2011
Excellent unit, easy to assemble and looks pretty good. only small, but fit by my xbox just fine and holds all my games. I noticed a review mentioning the lack of room in the shelves over the DVD's making it hard to get them out, this hasn't bee the case, although some special edition games have larger cases and can make things difficult, though they tend to stick out a bit anyway so I can still get them out.

Beyond Magnetic
Beyond Magnetic

5.0 out of 5 stars Why wasn't this on the main album?, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Beyond Magnetic (MP3 Download)
Metallica are back! After the horrible disappointment that was Lulu this extra for the Death Magnetic album just reminds us why they are the biggest and best metal band in the world. Only four tracks on this, but they are all even longer than is typical for Metallica. The killer riffs and astonishingly fast and brilliant solos are back and the magnificent duo of Hetfield and Hammett are back and bad as ever. Every sond here could have been on any of their albums, especially the first two, which could easily have replaced a couple of tracks on Death Magnetic. My only gripe is that it doesn't seem to be available on CD. I guess everyone downloads these days, but I do like to collect CD's so my Metallica discography will be missing one.

Marvel Iron Man 2 Movie 3 3/4" Movie Series Iron Man Mark VI with Power-Up Glow Action Figure
Offered by LINEN IDEAS

4.0 out of 5 stars We all wanna be him, 29 Dec. 2011
I guess it's slightly sad that I have one, considering I'm 23, but I love collecting sci-fi and fantasy figurines. Since starting the (small) collection I guess Iron Man, the worlds coolest superhero after Batman, was always high on the list. I'm saving up for a large model, but as they are so expensive this has had to do for now. The detail and paintwork on it is surprisingly good and it is flexible enough to strike several different poses. It's also small enough to fit on my desk. Overall not a bad buy for the money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2012 2:41 PM BST

Not Going Out - Series 4 [DVD] [2011]
Not Going Out - Series 4 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Lee Mack
Offered by Helgy

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gets better and better, 20 Dec. 2011
In my opinion one of the funniest sitcoms out there. Lee Mack is brilliant in this, both as a writer and in the lead role as a lazy bum who is just cruising through life and coming up with schemes to make money and get in his landlady's bed. Tim Vine, not normally a comedian I like, is hilarious in this show. He plays the middle class nancy-boy perfectly. Katy Wix, Tims girlfriend, also cracks me up every time. She just takes dumb to the very extreme, then carries on. My only regret in this series is that Miranda Hart, the well meaning but utterly useless cleaner, has moved on to greater things. I guess it was only a matter of time before everyone saw how funny she was and snapped her up. In all I'd definitely recommend it if you liked the first three series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5