Profile for Graham Stephenson > Reviews

Content by Graham Stephenson

Graham Stephenson "graham_7979" (Lancashire England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Louisiana Country Blues
Louisiana Country Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unheralded country blues..., 1 May 2009
This review is from: Louisiana Country Blues (Audio CD)
..by two lesser known bluesmen from Louisiana but nonetheless good quality material, guitar and voice. I spotted one of Johnson's songs on Lead me on, Kelly Joe Phelps's first album, Leavin' blues (correctly attributed too).Lazy Lester amongst others helps out on some Of Smokey Babe tracks. These recordings were fortunately saved for posterity by Dr Oster and appeared separately on Arhoolie but now combined on one cd and well worth the money.

Back to Bentonia
Back to Bentonia
Offered by rbmbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad..., 1 May 2009
This review is from: Back to Bentonia (Audio CD)
...that this album has been around three years and this is the first attempt at a review on here, as this is a very good blues album by a virtual unknown, the case for many blues artists over the years. He has, in hailing from Bentonia, a lot to live up to in the estimable Nehemia Skip James but he does a fair job of it but still has his own distinctive style. I am not a good enough musician to try a technical critique but I like the sound of his guitar and voice and he is helped on some tracks by Bud Spires on harp and Sam Carr on drums. I shall be looking at his second album before too long.

Kill To Get Crimson
Kill To Get Crimson

4.0 out of 5 stars opinions poles apart, 29 Oct 2007
This review is from: Kill To Get Crimson (Audio CD)
The earlier reviews made interesting reading. I have just listened to the album once so far-borrowed it from a friend. I might buy it later because it made me think exactly like one reviewer said-listen to this on cosy nights in front of the fire. Others are clearly very critical and that is fine-I can see what they mean but I have got used to this side of the artist on other albums and it suits me. I still like the Dire Straits stuff as well and hope he plays some of that too in Manchester next May and some of the newer songs as he did last time. It was an excellent show and I bet it will be again.

Working Man's Cafe
Working Man's Cafe

5.0 out of 5 stars better than the previous one, 29 Oct 2007
This review is from: Working Man's Cafe (Audio CD)
I saw him on stage in May at the Bridgewater hall in Manchester. One of the best live shows I have seen-he kept saying how much he was enjoying himself and it was obvious he was. Likewise on this album-one of the best songwriters around-up there with Dylan, Simon etc.

Hoot Your Belly
Hoot Your Belly

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from the George Mitchell collection, 21 Sep 2007
This review is from: Hoot Your Belly (Audio CD)
Another virtual unknown bluesman recorded by Mitchell in 1977 and 1982 and acquired and released by Fat Possum. It is good that materials from the collection have been released but a great pity that this and other items are unlikely to reach a big enough audience. I already have the cd by Joe Callicott in this series, a real gem. Those at Fat Possum deserve more success than they seem to be getting but not just with this collection.

Feel Like Doin' Something Wrong
Feel Like Doin' Something Wrong
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Another neglected bluesman, 14 Sep 2007
Great version of Boogie Chillen', as well as some originals by Davis which sound incredible-it is described as atonal. Just sounds great to me. His song 'she's got the devil in her' has been covered by Buddy Guy on his Sweet Tea album and is also on Ian Siegal's album Meat and Potatoes together with Junior Kimbrough's 'Gotta try you girl.' Guy also covers this on the Sweet Tea disc. I shall invest in some more of this man's stuff-another amazing find by the Fat Possum label.

Ain't a Gonna Lie to You
Ain't a Gonna Lie to You

5.0 out of 5 stars country blues magic, 5 Sep 2007
I bought this after listening to Furry Lewis and Joe on the Blue Horizon sessions. This man is very under recorded and underrated in my view. I have one track of his from 1929 or thereabouts on a compilation of country blues but it appears he did no other recording until George Mitchell captured him. Nothing fancy from him-just plain straightforward delightful country blues. What a pity there does not seem to be any more of him other than the Blue Horizon/ Mitchell material.

When a Man Takes the Blues
When a Man Takes the Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent album, 30 Jun 2007
My third Robert Pete cd and not likely to be the last I buy. Now I am properly tuned in to his holler and peculiar intonation, it is less disconcerting. As I have said before the guitar is amazing but the voice might put some off. Don't be-the stark intensity is its great merit.

Ear To The Ground
Ear To The Ground

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing!, 30 Jun 2007
This review is from: Ear To The Ground (Audio CD)
I have been collecting blues music once again for a short while after a spell of early interest in the 60s. I have been concentrating mainly on country and Chicago blues. I got to hear about this trio through my daughter who lives in Bishops Stortford which as I understand it is where the group's first live Cd was recorded. I heard a few tracks on Paul Jones' show and bought this on the strength of that. I am not disappointed and have since bought the live cd and the trio's first studio album as well. Drums, organ, guitar and voice are all sound very good. Great blues music (with some jazz inflection) and from this side of the Atlantic once again. Not a dud track in my view and the same goes for the other albums-can't wait to see them live.

Devil Got My Woman
Devil Got My Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars have to disagree with previous reviewer, 4 May 2007
This review is from: Devil Got My Woman (Audio CD)
Does blues music have to be melodic and tuneful? Is it blues if it is? I enjoyed every track on this just as I did with Skip James Today! 22-20 is a tremendous song and performance. I accept that some might find the falsetto off putting-by the same token I find it haunting and appealing. James is distinctive not just because of his guitar playing but also because of the 'off-putting' voice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3