Profile for Allan McPhail > Reviews

TomTom Via LIVE 120 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps
TomTom Via LIVE 120 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps
Offered by Shockbuy srl

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you do your homework!, 5 Jan 2012
I bought this from another retailer and wish I'd done more extensive research. This and other models have an SD slot, but this is not yet available for use (although TomTom promise an update at some point which will make it useable).

The one thing that caused me a problem was the fact it only has 2GB memory. This means that certain maps cannot be downloaded onto it, so I suggest you check on the TomTom website first to see if the map you may wish to buy will fit on it.

If you only need it for UK and ROI as installed, then you will have no problems. It's a great middle-man for the TomTom range, although the fluid screens on higher-end models is an attractive feature, which I'd liked to have seen on this.

The Via models use MyTomTom rather than TomTom Home, which in my opinion an inferior application, but others may disagree.

The integrated mount is better than the one you used to get (I previously had a TomTom One 3rd Edition), although it does mean you have to remove the whole thing from the windscreen - which I guess may be the whole point as there's this whole thing about not leaving evidence of a satnav in your car.

So I would recommmend this device ONLY if you don't plan on adding anything to it.

Junior [DVD] [1994]
Junior [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading disc...., 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: Junior [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Received this today, hadn't picked up on the fact that this disc is a GERMAN copy. I think the audio is English with optional German subs, but the sleeve is German.

Latest & Greatest Musicals (3CD)
Latest & Greatest Musicals (3CD)
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Something not quite right, 29 Aug 2010
I bought this recently (not from Amazon) as I do like my musicals! However, I have a niggling feeling that there's something just not quite right with this compilation.

All the big numbers you would expect are there, as well as a few you wouldn't. However, as far as my ears can tell, these are studio recordings of the songs - not live renditions. And there is the rub.

There's something electric that comes from the stage when you hear these songs live - more passion, more volume - the performers are doing just that - performing for the audience. Here they are simply reciting the songs within the confines of a studio. The passion just isn't there, the hairs don't stand up on the back of your neck.

I'm quite happy with the song choices, but I miss the theatre aura that you get with live recordings.

You Can't Stop The Beat
You Can't Stop The Beat
Offered by NetsavesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compliation let down by two turkeys, 18 Jan 2010
This review is from: You Can't Stop The Beat (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of musicals, although I don't get to actually see many live, so this album is a great compilation. Modern classics such as Wicked, Hairspray and Mamma Mia are all there, and if you know the musicals even just a bit, you'll recognise the tunes. I believe that this album is aimed at adults who have a love of musicals, and this will definitely whet their appetite.

However, the inclusion of two songs from Alvin and The Chipmunks is bizarre. These are films for kids, who I guess would adore these songs, but this album is not the place for them. Hence the drop of one star.

So, to summarise, if you like showtunes, particularly from recent years, buy this today, you won't be disappointed.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone, but let down my software and SD card access, 8 Nov 2009
My previous phone was a Samsung D600 and I've been very happy with it, so I was confident that if I purchased a new Samsung, it wouldn't let me down.

I do like the touchscreen idea, which is much like the iPod Touch (rotates when you rotate the phone), and it seems to have decent battery life.

However, I'm disappointed my the software bundle. Samsung's PC Studio software fails with the simplest of tasks. When using the application to select music from my PC, an error message keeps on popping up saying "Server Busy". A quick search on the internet reveals countless similar problems, all strangely unresolved.

So, I've resorted to removing the bundled Micro SD card from the phone, and manually transferring my music over. Even that process is a pain because the slot is underneath the battery. I find the cover rather awkward to remove - one doesn't want to apply too much force to move it down - so I wouldn't want to have to do this every time I want to copy music on to it.

Clearly there are other means of copying files - bluetooth for example - but the application exists to simplify this procedure.

So I award this, rather begrudgingly, 4 stars - for the phone only.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2010 9:45 AM BST

Dan In Real Life [DVD]
Dan In Real Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dianne Wiest
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Love is not a feeling - it's an ability, 20 Sep 2008
This review is from: Dan In Real Life [DVD] (DVD)
I wanted to see this, mainly because I quite like Steve Carell. Not sure what to expect, I rented it rather than buy.

It is, quite simply, one of these easy-to-watch movies. No violence, nothing to worry younger viewers, just a great storyline with some great characters. The three kids are brilliant, in particular Lilly (Marlene Lawston).

Carell takes a break from form in his portrayal of the widower Dan Burns. He is funny without being silly. The family around him, whilst generally in the background, are a fine ensemble to complement the main actors.

The set - the family retreat in Rhode Island - is beautiful. It comes across as being very homely and welcoming.

There are some especially standout moments. For me these were the "pigface" song (which turns out to be a misnomer), and Dan's car problem at the end.

I would have hoped for some extras on the DVD, but then "life is full of disappointments"

If you are a sucker for sentimentality, then you should watch this movie.

Disney Princess Go Glow Light
Disney Princess Go Glow Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice item for little "princesses", 16 Aug 2008
I have had no problems with this item. As previous reviewers have stated you do have to turn the thing off before charging - however it does clearly state this on the packaging.
I personally wouldn't expect a night light to be too bright. It gives off just the right amount to make a little girl feel safe. Torch is quite good too - and easy to operate for little fingers.
We simply connect it to the mains in the morning and leave to charge, then it's ready for sleep time again.

Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD]
Our House - a Musical Love Story [DVD]
Dvd ~ Suggs

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic, 22 Sep 2007
Just watched this for the umpteenth time, and still love it. The sheer passion and energy of every single member of the cast is amazing. Michael Jibson (Joe Casey) in particular is rarely off the stage, yet every song is fresh. The theatre presentation itself is also wonderful and translates well to DVD.
I have not seen many musicals on the stage but this is surely one I would have loved to have seen - I wish it would be resurrected, but this is unlikely.
Anyway, five stars easily deserved.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2008 9:07 PM GMT

The Snail and the Whale
The Snail and the Whale
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story for young children, 14 Aug 2007
My daughter, 5, borrowed this book from the local library. I suspect I'm going to have to buy it as she won't want to return it!! It really is a wonderful story with great verse. The message behind the story will appeal to children interested in animals and the marriage of small and large.

Cannot fault it.

Sweex US002UK Ext 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub
Sweex US002UK Ext 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice to look at, but that's it..., 16 Mar 2007
I bought this because I thought it would look "cool". It does, but when you switch off your PC, the LEDs stay on, therefore you have to switch off at the mains.

Having done this, I suspect now that this method is affecting the hub's performance. Certain items no longer work through the hub, but are fine when plugged directly into the PC.

Sorry, but it's a waste of money - go practical instead.

Page: 1 | 2