Profile for Singh > Reviews

Content by Singh

Singh

Agile Data Warehouse Design: Collaborative Dimensional Modeling, from Whiteboard to Star Schema
by Lawrence Corr
Price: 24.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book !!, 12 Jan 2013
I bought this book when I noticed the high number of 5 star ratings. I have read it cover to cover and YES it does deserve all 5 stars. The first half of the book provides a simple framework for requirements gathering and modeling a data warehouse with business users. The book really gets technically interesting in the second half when the author explains each dimension type in detail with it's typical business intelligence problems and gives detailed design pattern solutions for modelling them. I really liked the techniques on optimizing large FACT tables. It is very well written, and also provides hints on actual SQL for building and using the dimensional models. I find it very close to actual business scenarios rather than a high-level strategy book about data warehousing. It is always on my desk and I keep referring to it at my work place. The only suggestion I can give the author is to provide an e-book version soon for quick anytime access. Money well spent!!