Profile for Mrs Taylor > Reviews

Content by Mrs Taylor

Mrs Taylor (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Blue Sky Umbrella, PLEMO Automatic Folding Travel Umbrella Parasol Auto Open Close for Men and Women
Offered by PLEMO UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy construction, nice and windproof, 5 Sept. 2015
Very sturdy construction, nice and windproof. I love the one-button open design. Just bought my second one after the first broke after 10 months of use - I think that's reasonable for the price. Love the blue skies design too, it always brings a smile to my face and looks great amidst all the boring black umbrellas.

Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris
Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, 10 Dec. 2014
I was intrigued by the table of contents in the free sample and really looked forward to reading this book, but it left me a little disappointed for the price.

Most of it was sound advice, but in my humble opinion, a lot of it did not go past common sense, and a small number of the lessons went beyond practicing the real art of living and into rather frivolous territory. For example, in terms of decorating your living space, you were advised to prioritise aesthetics over comfort because it encouraged you to live more formally with better posture. (But what a pity it is if you can't fully relax in your own home!) In another lesson, the author went into great detail about her personal skincare routine which sounds torturously precise, product-laden and over-the-top.

The anecdotes are quite entertaining but I am a little incredulous that Madame Chic, elegant and well-mannered as she was, would be so uncouth as to constantly stop the writer in her tracks and tell her in a passive-aggressive way what was wrong with her clothes/taste/general sloppy American-ness. Fair dues, I'm sure some creative liberty had to be taken in the depiction of events, but I find it hard to envision such a lack of class in an elegant lady, even if she was never rude outright. (Ironic because later on there was specifically a bit on manners with an example of biting your tongue in a difficult situation!) And of course in each situation the writer felt deeply ashamed and vowed to improve her lot immediately. It got a little too Pygmalion for me.

All in all, a decent read, but for the price I think you can get better elsewhere. For tips on how to live like a French woman I recommend "Two Lipsticks and a Lover" or anything by Mirelle Guliano. As for practicing the art of living, I find that "Miss Minimalist" gives much simpler, easier advice on how to enjoy and appreciate life without all the frou frou.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 7 Jun. 2012
I managed to lose my first pair after six months of solid wear, and didn't hesitate to buy another pair. These are fantastic value for money and look much more expensive than they are. The size is perfect - big enough to be noticed, but not enough to be distracting. A classic wardrobe staple with a real Mad Men vibe.

HannsG HL231DPB 23 inch Widescreen LED TFT Monitor (1000:1, 250 cd/m2, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, Gloss Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 12 Nov. 2011
My husband bought this for gaming. He says it is good value for the price, has a nice screen and good quality picture. The only downside is that it doesn't seem to be able to tilt upward from the base, so he had to prop it up from the desk to get it comfortably to eye level.

FLOSO® Ladies/Womens Thermal Thick Chunky Wool Blended Socks (Pack Of 3) (UK Shoe 4-7) (Grey)
Offered by Universal Textiles & Footwear

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit large but very warm, 12 Nov. 2011
I'm a size 4 so I guess it's no surprise that these socks come up large on me, plus they are very thick so I had a bit of trouble stuffing them and my feet in my regular shoes. But no complaints about the quality and warmth - I wore them on a recent trip to Iceland and they kept my feet nice and toasty throughout.

Pumice Stone Mouse Shape (Manicure)
Pumice Stone Mouse Shape (Manicure)
Offered by Concept4U (UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shape for use, 12 Nov. 2011
This pumice is especially handy with its pointy end to get to hard to reach places.

It doesn't slough off masses of dead skin all in one go, but I don't expect a pumice to do that in any event. It's good on freshly-soaked skin that's been thoroughly towel-tried.

Morphy Richards Daily Loaf 48330 Breadmaker - White
Morphy Richards Daily Loaf 48330 Breadmaker - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to use, 12 Nov. 2011
This is a very easy to use breadmaker. I'm not a great cook by any stretch of the imagination, but I've turned out three out of three beautiful loaves since I got this, with absolutely minimum effort and fuss. I made one cinnamon/raison loaf and one sundried tomato bread - both recipes are included with the machine together with other basic recipes for white and wholemeal loaves, etc. I also made a great Italian herb loaf by just following the white loaf recipe and adding a teaspoon of mixed Italian herbs and using olive oil instead of normal cooking oil. Quite keen to try out the pizza dough recipe next... I haven't found any good pizza bases at the local supermarket so it would be awesome if I could make my own fresh.

The main thing to remember is that this is a one pound loaf, which may be smaller than you think. I measured the baking pan and it comes to about 10 x 12cm. Not big to look at, but still quite a lot to chew through when you actually put it on your plate! Feeds two people easily for a meal.

Like others have said, there's no timer option so you can't set it overnight and wake up to fresh bread, but to be honest, I'm not sure if it'll be good for me to wake up to fresh bread every day of the week! The temptation to consume vast amounts of carbs would be too great to resist. Right now we can have fresh baked bread for weekend brunch, which is a lovely treat and a great addition to our lifestyle.

Cressi Antifog Spray
Cressi Antifog Spray

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to do, 10 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Cressi Antifog Spray (Sports)
Good product that does what it's supposed to do. I spray it about 5 minutes before getting in the pool. The bottle recommends a quick rinse after the spray has set, although in my experience doesn't seem to matter if you rinse it or not. My goggles stay crystal clear for the 30-40 minutes in which I do my swimming. (Which is not to say they will necessarily go foggy if you stay longer, I just haven't tested it out for longer periods.)

I do need to reapply it every time, but I assume that's the case with all other sprays. You really don't need to spray a lot each time, so I think it's pretty good value.

Fulton Birdcage-1 Umbrella
Fulton Birdcage-1 Umbrella
Price: £17.00 - £76.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, although really big too, 10 Sept. 2011
Amazing to use on wet days - like other reviews have said, since you can see through the umbrella, you can hold it really low and it will basically form a bubble between you and the rest of the world - well, your top half anyway! The construction is really solid, and the shape means you don't have to worry about it ever turning inside out on windy days.

The only downside for me is that it's REALLY BIG. Which is great when I actually have to use it, but since I like to carry an umbrella everywhere just in case I get caught in a shower, it's not the most portable option around. It doesn't retract, and is definitely on the long side when compared to other non-retractable umbrellas. So I find that I need another separate "just in case" umbrella to go in my handbag.

Wonderbra Ultimate Strapless Bra
Wonderbra Ultimate Strapless Bra
Price: £26.00 - £44.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds everything in place!, 10 Sept. 2011
I'm a 34E and usually need to hoist my girls up with wide shoulder straps and a lot of support, so I was sceptical of this product, but decided to give it a try after reading all the good reviews. It definitely works. I spent a whole night clubbing in a slinky spaghetti-strap dress and didn't worry once about having to adjust myself. It holds everything in place beautifully and creates a sleek, perky figure with a nice-looking cleavage. Definitely recommended.

Page: 1 | 2