Profile for Mr Roger J L Varley > Reviews

Content by Mr Roger J L V...

Mr Roger J L Varley

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
2013 Nike M9 Cart Trolley Golf Bag Blackend Blue/White-Photo Blue
2013 Nike M9 Cart Trolley Golf Bag Blackend Blue/White-Photo Blue
Offered by SuperJacksGolfShop
Price: 92.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent trolley bag, 20 May 2014
The bag sits so much better on my electric trolley than my old Nike carry bag but seems to be built to the same high standards. There's a pocket for everything and the layout is very well thought-out. My only minor criticism is that once the bag is sitting on the trolley, my umbrella is difficult to get at and the 3 small secure points for the umbrella are a little tricky to reposition after use - a criticism I could also level at my old Nike carry bag. I used the bag in the rain for the first time this week and all my kit stayed dry. Overall very satisfied.

Performs the Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett
Performs the Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett
Price: 14.19

4.0 out of 5 stars The finest songwriter since Lennon - this would be 5^ for any other performer and may yet become 5* for me!!, 2 May 2014
I'd give 5* for an album of this quality from any other performer but Eels set such high standards that, so far, I must be harsh with just 4^. I own and love every Eels album and finally got to see the band last year on the Wonderful Glorious tour and it was one of my all-time favourite gigs - that 5* album is still regularly playing on my car CD. The latest album is back to the more introspective and slower tempo style of Eels' earlier works and so, after the up-tempo and more collaborative Wonderful Glorious, I was a little surprised by this album. But that's Eels - they can rock with the best or wring you out with the most beautiful, heartfelt songs. I've been simultaneously listening to Cautionary Tales and reading E's autobiography (Things the Grandchildren Should Know) and having finished the book, the new album seems to gain even greater relevance; every song reads like another episode from E's remarkable, tragic but hope-filled life. After a few more plays, there's a real danger that this will become another 5*!!

Things The Grandchildren Should Know
Things The Grandchildren Should Know
by Mark Everett
Price: 9.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Hate autobiographies normally; LOVED this!, 2 May 2014
I've only ever read one other autobiography - one of Barack Obama's! I shy away from them on the basis that I expect they'll reflect an overblown sense of self-worth and celebrity but that's the very last criticism that could be levelled at Everett's work (if not Obama's!). As a massive fan of E and his band Eels, I thought I knew something of the tragedy that has often engulfed him but it was just the tip of an iceberg. The raw courage with which he has clearly faced the many tragedies, struggles and disappointments in his life is matched by the raw honesty of the telling of his story. Is it any wonder that he is probably the greatest writer of autobiographical and social commentary songs since Lennon?!

Farah Vintage Bexley Patterned Men's Shirt Cream Medium
Farah Vintage Bexley Patterned Men's Shirt Cream Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Very hapy with my comfortable, good looking and great value shirt, 14 Jan 2014
It's so hard at the moment to find smart casual shirts in a pale colour without too much pattern (I wanted one to go under a plain dark brown cord jacket). This seemed to fit the bill at an excellent price. I was initially a little wary at how open the weave is - even more open than an Oxford style BUT it feels completely different on - very smooth, light and comfortable. I like the pattern and my medium fit is perfect, including body and sleeve length - my main problem area with casual shirts (I'm just over 6ft and 38 chest.). Never bought smart shirts by internet before but I'm very happy with this.

Tales of Us
Tales of Us
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully haunting songs but the whole album is a little too one-paced, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
I love all Goldfrapp's albums and agree with the other reviewers who say this is a welcome return to the early Felt Mountain days. Alison's haunting vocals and the beautiful production are dreamy throughout and will no doubt get picked off again for use as TV background music. A bonus is that the lyrical content is more important than on some of their albums. I love every number individually but I just find that when listening to the album straight through, there is no great variety in the mood or tempo. The complete lack of danceable or German umpah numbers make this an album for either piecemeal or late night headphone listening!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2014 9:07 PM GMT

Refuge
Refuge
Price: 2.39

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate novel from the "Survivors" genre, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Refuge (Kindle Edition)
As with his Penal Colony, Herley combines fast-paced action with a thought-provoking study of human relationships in times of conflict. It's very reminiscent of Survivors or Lord of the Flies with adult subjects - so not perhaps the most original subject matter - but he does it very well and writes beautifully and believably. A cracking read that has left me looking for more of his work.

Room
Room
Price: 4.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy read but worth the effort, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Room (Kindle Edition)
I really struggled with the style of this book to start with. It's written from the viewpoint of a young child who is both incredibly intelligent and impossibly naive. As the story unfolds and the awful truth becomes clear, it would be hard not to feel enormous understanding and sympathy for the main characters. A really thought-provoking story which, for reasons I'll not say for fear of spoiling the surprise, is particularly pertinent in light of several news stories in the last few years.

The Hit
The Hit
Price: 2.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pacy, futuristic thriller full of interesting characters, 10 July 2013
This review is from: The Hit (Kindle Edition)
Well written thriller with a twist. Set in the near future, it is essentially a tale of bounty hunters getting out of their depth whilst chasing a tricky petty crook. But it doubles as an interesting take on how western society might behave in the event of a major slowdown in economic fortunes. This gives the author the opportunity to explore individual characters whilst the plot rolls along. Above average and an author to watch.

Drink, Dear Boy?
Drink, Dear Boy?
Price: 1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but overlong and repetitive - maybe one for the boat enthusiast, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Drink, Dear Boy? (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed the start and first few escapades but it all gets a bit samey after a while. There are clearly many different, scary, frustrating and sometimes funny problems that can arise across Southern Europe when trying to moor a boat, repair a boat and get authority to enter a new jurisdiction. However, after 2 or 3 accounts of each, it gets a bit boring and repetitive. The style is easy-going and I'm sure boat enthusiasts will love it but by the end I'd suffered a bit too much deja vu to say that I loved it!

More Ketchup than Salsa
More Ketchup than Salsa
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect antedote for anyone thinking of moving to the sun!, 10 July 2013
If anyone has a half-thought that it would be great to uproot for better weather and maybe even set up a little business, read this book first!!! This funny and, at times, painful story about the pitfalls and pratfalls of running a bar in the sun sounds all too realistic. Perfect reading for the sunbed!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4