Profile for M. > Reviews

Planes [DVD]
Planes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dane Cook
Offered by nagiry

1.0 out of 5 stars Sweet mother of all that is good and pure... what the hell was that, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Planes [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this from the local "Every Little Helps" supermarket as our 2.5 year old spotted it while we were pushing the trolley down the aisle. I haven't watched it myself because from what I remember it didn't get a lot of positive reviews... but then again a lot of other good movies didn't get them either but they were good. So what the heck, I thought, lets buy it...
Now let me point out that we are huge Cars fans at our household. Our 2.5 year old knows all the main characters by name, as well as some which only appear on screen for literally few seconds (Nitroade, Suki, Harumi, Barry Diesel, Dexter, Trunkov etc.). We even have some rare die casts which have not been removed from their packaging. We have seen Cars 1 and 2 at least 50 times and I don't get bored with it yet. Household. Cars. Fans. Period. Got it? Good.
Planes movie is NOTHING like "Cars with wings". In fact it's so shallow and hollow it's nowhere near the Cars franchise. Cars 2 which by many is considered a mistake is heck of a lot better than Planes. This is so bad I don't even know where to start. The question is do I want to start though? Waste my time writing about a movie I don't like. And neither does my son.
The beginning (first 10-15mins) is sort of ok(ish). The storyline is a typical Disney no-brainer but you can quickly forget about that because there are some nice flight animations which unfortunately end very quickly. And after that everything just goes downhill... even the story line, it's getting from bad to worst. El Chupacabra's love adventure should be deleted from the history books/movie tapes. It's terrible. Dusty's romance with Ashani isn't much better either.
The back of the box says "Contains no material likely to offend or harm". Oh really? Is that so? So what do you classify as shooting/killing a whole squadron of Corsairs? I remember many parents saying the "torture scene" in Cars 2 (Rod Redline being interrogated by Zundapp and the Lemons) was not acceptable.
How naive do actually the creators think the children are? Sure it is a cartoon, not everything is real but for Gods sake even a 5 year old will tell you you don't fish for planes from the bottom of the ocean. And that two aircrafts will not get stuck in a canyon. Yes it is a cartoon but this is a borderline of absurd. No wait it's way past beyond that point. Why? Because at the beginning the Skipper is trying to teach Dusty about aerodynamics, physics etc where an hour later a helicopter is fishing him out from the Pacific. Riiiiiiiight... sounds/looks legit.
Did I say I am Cars fan? Oh yes I did. I'm also aircraft fan. Been since I was 3-4. Planes should have been the perfect combination for me but it wasn't. It was painful to watch and my youngest thought the same. He is too young to be able to describe what he feels but I can read him by watching him and he wasn't enjoying it past the first ten minutes. The one and only time he got excited was when he saw the tractors. Simply because they reminded him about the tractors in Cars 1.

I've taken back the DVD for a refund and let me tell you I have never, ever in my life returned a movie before. If I saw it at carboot sale for 50p I would haggle with the seller as I think even than is too expensive.

Now... where is that Mater's Tales DVD which is also absurd but on entirely different level...

Anti-Static Wrist Strap Grounding Wrist Strap / Band / Grounding / Band ESD Discharge - Prevents Build up of Static Electricity - Comaptibles E-Shop
Offered by BuyOnline Cart

4.0 out of 5 stars Choose your seller wisely, 19 Aug 2014
Well it's an antistatic wrist band and it works.

If you decided to buy one look who are you buying it from. There is an option of buying it cheap and waiting longer to have it delivered or slightly more expensive with shorter delivery time.

Thermaltake 20 cm LED Silent Fan - Blue
Thermaltake 20 cm LED Silent Fan - Blue
Offered by Tick UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Silent? Don't think so, 8 Aug 2014
I have three of these fitted to my Thermaltake case and let me tell you they can shift A LOT of air around.
They are not silent however. Not even close to silent unless you have components which tend to make sounds which can only be compared to jet engines. I don't. Passively cooled graphics, massive Noctua on the cpu and psu can be heard only when you put your ear next to it. These fans are by far the loudest things in my PC even on the low settings. The nine year old 12cm fans from my old Thermaltake chassis are quieter.
Would try and swap them for something else but there isn't much of a choice when it comes to 20cm.

UniBond 1593891 50g 100Percent Power Glue Bottle
UniBond 1593891 50g 100Percent Power Glue Bottle
Offered by deals-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst glue ever made, 15 Jun 2014
Bought this from the local DIY store as it was on special offer (15% off).
Tried it on several different materials and it's just not fit for purpose. Calling it "glue" is a HUGE overstatement It looks and feels more like a liquid silicone. It just does NOT stick you need to hold the objects for very long periods of time because the drying time is close to infinity. For example I used it on one of our dining chairs (wooden, no paint), I've hold it together for over 5 mins and the glue still wouldn't start to dry. Eventually I tied the chair up hoping the glue will do its job in few hours. Checked 7 hours later and it was ok.

/update
Tried to glue some cardboard over the weekend. It won't even do that properly. 10mins after I applied it still won't hold it together. Checked three hours later it was ok. THREE HOURS.

CTA Digital 2-in-1 iPotty with Activity Seat for iPad
CTA Digital 2-in-1 iPotty with Activity Seat for iPad

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the worst potty I've ever seen, 20 Dec 2013
... and that's coming from a person whose little "pride and joy" is 20 months old and going on the potty for nearly half of the time.
I don't believe and never believed in the (old fashioned), so called, potty training. Begging, bribing and doing everything in between to try and get your young one to do the business on/in the potty. No thank you.
You introduce it and show it to them gradually. Yes you might have wet floor and carpet from time to time but that's less stressful for you and your child. When the time is right and they feel ready they will start going on it without you pulling your hair out.

Nevermind the fact that the first 36 months of the child's life are crucial and they should not come into contact with TVs/laptops/tablets/mobile phones etc
If you really want to interact with them in the similar way while they are on the potty get a normal notepad and crayons... remember those?

So yea all-in-all another great product from "over the pond" to help you start dumbing down your child from an early stage.

It might be slightly beneficial if your child has, say, learning difficulties but I don't see this product being advertised that way after watching the 2mins+ video.

Mannesmann 150mm Precision Vernier Caliper in Plastic Box
Mannesmann 150mm Precision Vernier Caliper in Plastic Box

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with this one, 16 Dec 2013
It looks cheap and it feels cheap. It's very sharp on the edges and not balanced at all. Getting it to slide is a bit of an effort - considering it's a precision tool and you need to be gentle with it.
It comes in a box but it's not secured or anything you can hear it rattling as soon as you start carrying it.
I doubt it has been made in Germany because of the poor quality.

For that price it doesn't deserve more than 1 star. I'm seriously considering sending it back and getting something cheaper (and probably better at the same time).

OEM - ELM327 OBDII V1.4 CAN-BUS Bluetooth Diagnostic Interface Scanner
OEM - ELM327 OBDII V1.4 CAN-BUS Bluetooth Diagnostic Interface Scanner
Offered by ebuyerdeal-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on a Fiesta, 8 July 2012
I've read a lot about cheap ELM327 not working (especially on Ford vehicles) but it wasn't the case with this one.
Downloaded Torque Pro (on Desire HD), plugged this adapter into wife's car, paired both and it just worked without even going into any advanced options.
The Fiesta ECU is very basic and it doesn't give some of the info (fuel level, battery voltage etc) but all important things are there. Just over £15 for the hardware and software must be the bargain of the century!

2x 5 LED 360° T10 Bulb Indicator Xenon Sidelight White Perfect To Replace Standard 501 W5W T10 168 194 Bulbs
Offered by BeautyMall(Shipped from HongKong)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bulbs, 12 Jan 2012
The light is quite bright, way brighter than stock 501 I had. Would definately buy them again.
Now I need to find a replacement for the yellow H4s.

GU10 LED BULB 6W WITH 27 x 5050 SMD LED's IN WARM WHITE ** SUPER BRIGHT GU10 LED LIGHT BULBS - THE BRIGHTEST SMD BULBS AVAILABLE EMITTING 450 LUMENS - EXTREMELY BRIGHT AND IDEAL FOR REPLACING 50W - 60W HALOGEN BULBS **
Offered by Brightlightz

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best GU10 LED bulb., 12 Jan 2012
I've been buying and testing GU10 LEDs for months. I've been buying single bulbs and comparing them in our hallway and living room. They are different to the halogens and you will miss the "warm" light and probably beam angles but if you look into reducing your electricity bills.. look no further. 8 of these consume less electricity than 1 halogen.

I don't understand the comments about poor quality of the bulb. What build quality? It's a bulb for God's sake. The bulb is meant to provide light nothing else. I couldn't care less about it's appearance once I install it. It provides light so job well done.

StarTech DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converter
StarTech DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converter

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyefinity compatible, 4 Jan 2011
The packaging is rather poor and absolutely no info included... But who cares, this adapter IS active and supports ATI's Eyefinity. 3 monitors working at the same time - perfect.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2011 2:49 PM BST