Profile for M. > Reviews

Content by M.

Page: 1 | 2
Premium double barrel foot air pump with manometer 10 BAR 140PSI HEYNER Pedalmax
Offered by alca-heyner shop

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one, 3 Oct. 2015
I've been looking for a new pump for the past few years as the one I had has been on its last legs. There are some pumps on the market but they have some mixed reviews... and I don't want a device such as this to work whenever it feels like. It has to work any time, every time. It's just a pump for God's sake.
And there came Heyner with it's product. I bought the pump 6 months ago and I can say truly it was worth every penny. It comes with a very handy storage bag, it's easy and nearly effortless to use (to me), the guage is easy to read, the grip on the pedal is great even in wet and most of all it's very quick to inflate whatever you have to inflate. Apart from the obvious use (car tyres) I used it on few balls and one of them nearly exploded because of the amount of air it got - so be careful with football balls etc. Bike tires and even inflatable pool.

Two things which can be improved.
The bunch of attachments is permanently attached to the hose. If your car is in mud/field/puddle and the valve is close to the ground the attachments get dirty.
Second, the hook that holds the pedal is extremely annoying and I bent it many times because it has a mind of its own.
Despite those it's a great product.

LEGO Pack of 2 Orange Brick Separators
LEGO Pack of 2 Orange Brick Separators
Offered by Penzora

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 10 Sept. 2015
Say no to broken nails and teeth marks on the bricks.
I wish I had one of those when I had my Lego years and years ago

ZyXEL NSA320S 2 Bay Desktop Network Storage Power NAS Enclosure (1.0GHz CPU)
ZyXEL NSA320S 2 Bay Desktop Network Storage Power NAS Enclosure (1.0GHz CPU)

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty DLNA, 26 Aug. 2015
Had a good potential to be a good, budget, entry NAS but the ZyZEL tech support ruined it.
There is a one big fat problem with the DLNA and ZyZEL refuse to acknowledge it. The device simply does not arrange the music files according to their name. If you name your files like I do - starting with 01, 02, 03... you won't see them arranged like that if you use a streaming device. They are arranged alphabetically. Those starting with A are first and Z are last, regardless of the numbers in front. Now try and play a full album.. well it doesn't work.
Upon contacting ZyXEL they said to upgrade to the latest firmware which I did and I haven't heard anything back from them after that. I'm tempted to return it is a faulty device, because this is a fault.

Denon DF109DAB Network + CD Player Micro HiFi System Black
Denon DF109DAB Network + CD Player Micro HiFi System Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 18 July 2015
I agree with what others say about this system - the different types of displays on the amp and the network unit. I also agree with the DAB.. it could be way way better.
I'm not that worried about the different displays though because you can adjust the brightness or even completely switch them off.
The DAB on the other hand was quite annoying, the supplied aerial was useless in the area we live. One day I decided to plug the unit to the external TV aerial and.. boom.. close to flawless signal. But guess what.. I have not listen to any DAB stations since. The network unit is the future. It gives access to hundreds, no, thousands, no, hundreds of thousands different radio stations from across the World. If you don't care about round the clock news and live radio discussions this thing will be your new best friend. Now I can listen to some Swedish death metal, next I may fancy some South American music, afterwards some traditional Chinese. Or streaming from my home multimedia server.
One thing that annoys me quite a lot is how the unit sorts out files when streaming from the server. It sorts them alphabetically. It completely ignores the numbers in front of the names. This could be easily be fixed with a firmware upgrade, if I only had the time to contact Denon. [UPDATE] As I found this was a fault with the DLNA server not the Denon unit.

Why 5 stars despite the flaws? Well. The sound. Once it starts playing you forget about those.

If I were to buy it again I would probably buy it without the CD unit. Before I bought the complete system I thought the network unit will be the least used and it turned out to be the quite opposite.

Panasonic DMP-BDT130 Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - Black
Panasonic DMP-BDT130 Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Love-hate, 3 Feb. 2015
I have tried to get along with this player but our relationship just didn't work out. It's my first ever item bought on Amazon I had to sent back.
The dimensions are a bit awkward as mentioned by other reviews. I didn't mind that as I was aware before I bought it.
The remote has plenty of buttons but there isn't a dedicated button for the subtitles. I find this simply unacceptable.
The Netflix button is driving me mad. First of all why is there a dedicated button for it.. what if I don't use Netflix and would rather have something else? It's too close to the navigation buttons and you'll end up pressing it by accident. To make it worse it takes ages to open the application and close it.
The "DVD Home" button is bizarre and most of the times does not take you to the root of the DVD.
None of the above however comes close to the annoyance I was getting from the sounds the player makes. It's simply too loud. When reading the disks it makes this "hrrr hrrr hrrrr" sounds. I don't mind it in the "action movies" where there is music, loud audio effects etc... you can't hear it. It's when there is no or barely any sound in the movie you can hear the player reading the data. It's infuriating. You sit there on the sofa, enjoying whatever you are watching and there comes this "HRRRR HRRR HRRR" sound. Worst of all Mr Panasonic doesn't consider this a fault. I was going to send it back as faulty but something prompted me to read the manual and there it was. The player is not considered faulty if it makes any sounds when reading the disks. Well Mr Panasonic, our 10 year old Philips is dead silent compared to this so you have a lot to learn. The loud reading noise is there no matter what disk I put in it. Normal DVD, Bluray, old disk, new disk - no difference.
Two days before I sent it back it froze twice and wouldn't respond to anything. Only way to sort it out was to pull the plug out.

Now the good bits.
I liked the 1080 upscaling and the digital audio.
It loaded Bluray disks rather quickly. I mean normal ones, we don't have 3D.
DNLA worked flawlessly.
Card reader, you don't see that often on a DVD player. It can be very handy if you have a digital camera and want to see your photos right away.
Two USB ports, again you don't see this often (if at all!)

All in all it could have been a good piece of kit but it wasn't. I had a love-hate relationship with it and really took me a while before I decided to send it back.
Now I'm on the market for another Bluray player (the 10 year old Philips is back on the stack) but there isn't much of a choice. I will not touch anything Samsung with a stick, current Sony players have this bizarre shape which prevents you from stacking anything on the top, Philips seem not to be what they were, LG and Toshiba seem to be a bit of a hit and miss. Hopefully 2015 will bring some new models worth considering.

Disney Planes Fire and Rescue Diecast Plus Windlifter
Disney Planes Fire and Rescue Diecast Plus Windlifter

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea ruined, 9 Dec. 2014
First of all didn't buy it here.
Second I was really looking forward to opening and playing with this with my youngest. Be aware that some of the pictures on Amazon represent different Windlifter. The one I'm commenting on is the most popular one that says DELUXE on the packaging and has three pairs of retractable rotors.
Once you retract the rotors they tend to group back together without putting much effort, which can be quite frustrating. I'm quite tempted to superglue them. Also the rotors are poorly planned because the bottom pair is so low it hits the top of the engines. After one of the engine got hit few hundred times in the space of few days it became loose.
And there is the detachable pod. Locking mechanism is... well it's lame. We have a Matchbox Thunderbird 2 made over 20 years ago and the T4 release button works like magic till this day. It's simple one-push release button (or click, to attach).
Not to mention poor paint job. We are talking about £10+ diecast and I had to go through 6 different Windlifters to find one which was ok(ish) and I was desperate to buy one there and then.

Very disappointing considering this is one of the most sought after characters from Planes 2.

Planes 2: Fire and Rescue [DVD]
Planes 2: Fire and Rescue [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roberts Gannaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Patch, drop the needle!, 9 Dec. 2014
This is a massive improvement compared to the first Planes movie. I disliked it so much I spent 20mins writing very negative Amazon review, I hoped on every opportunity to poke it and make jokes about it. The Fire and Rescue however is different kettle of fish.
The opening 10-15 minutes are Planes-1-like - it's slow, filled with failed jokes, nothing exiting overall, the TMST scene being the only exception. After that we get some good adrenaline filled, fast paced action movie.. if you can use that terminology when you talk about animated movie. Some of the dialogs are well written and I found few of the lines funny.
The new characters have more depth, charisma, individuality and are more likeable than the old ones. Personally I just can't stand Chug and Sparky.. but each to it's own. Them two combined don't even make half a Mater (for those who claim Planes are "Cars with wings" and Chug is the equivalent of Tow Mater)... little diggresion there.

Planes 1 is a Bollywood style, very childish, naive, unrealistic (borderline of absurd) children's cartoon.
Planes 2 is action packed, animation for kids AND their parents. And most of all it's more realistic. Take Dusty's gearbox fault and compare it with Planes 1 when he "drowned" in the Pacific and Dottie used parts from 10 or 15 different aircrafts to fix him. Not to mention the makers have spent some time with the Californian Department of Forestry and Fire Protection BEFORE they actually started making it.

It's a strong 3*, probably 4* movie.. but because of the AC/DC track I can't give it any less than 5!

Remember... With thunder comes lightning. And with lightning... comes fire!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2014 8:10 AM GMT

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor beyond belief, 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Gravity (DVD)
Lots of people recommended this movie to me. Lots. The thing is this movie is so poor the words can't describe it. They've tried to make it realistic but the end result is quite shocking. You don't have to have PhD in physics to know quite few things are NOT realistic and are made up on the go. It took only half an hour for me to start laughing and starting to checking the time. The only good thing is the CGI but to appreciate it you need a bigger TV/projector. But then again why bother when you can pick up more interesting and educational BBC documentary about our planet.

Planes [DVD]
Planes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dane Cook

1.0 out of 5 stars Sweet mother of all that is good and pure... what the hell was that, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Planes [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this from the local "Every Little Helps" supermarket as our 2.5 year old spotted it while we were pushing the trolley down the aisle. I haven't watched it myself because from what I remember it didn't get a lot of positive reviews... but then again a lot of other good movies didn't get them either but they were good. So what the heck, I thought, lets buy it...
Now let me point out that we are huge Cars fans at our household. Our 2.5 year old knows all the main characters by name, as well as some which only appear on screen for literally few seconds (Nitroade, Suki, Harumi, Barry Diesel, Dexter, Trunkov etc.). We even have some rare die casts which have not been removed from their packaging. We have seen Cars 1 and 2 at least 50 times and I don't get bored with it yet. Household. Cars. Fans. Period. Got it? Good.
Planes movie is NOTHING like "Cars with wings". In fact it's so shallow and hollow it's nowhere near the Cars franchise. Cars 2 which by many is considered a mistake is heck of a lot better than Planes. This is so bad I don't even know where to start. The question is do I want to start though? Waste my time writing about a movie I don't like. And neither does my son.
The beginning (first 10-15mins) is sort of ok(ish). The storyline is a typical Disney no-brainer but you can quickly forget about that because there are some nice flight animations which unfortunately end very quickly. And after that everything just goes downhill... even the story line, it's getting from bad to worst. El Chupacabra's love adventure should be deleted from the history books/movie tapes. It's terrible. Dusty's romance with Ashani isn't much better either.
The back of the box says "Contains no material likely to offend or harm". Oh really? Is that so? So what do you classify as shooting/killing a whole squadron of Corsairs? I remember many parents saying the "torture scene" in Cars 2 (Rod Redline being interrogated by Zundapp and the Lemons) was not acceptable.
How naive do actually the creators think the children are? Sure it is a cartoon, not everything is real but for Gods sake even a 5 year old will tell you you don't fish for planes from the bottom of the ocean. And that two aircrafts will not get stuck in a canyon. Yes it is a cartoon but this is a borderline of absurd. No wait it's way past beyond that point. Why? Because at the beginning the Skipper is trying to teach Dusty about aerodynamics, physics etc where an hour later a helicopter is fishing him out from the Pacific. Riiiiiiiight... sounds/looks legit.
Did I say I am Cars fan? Oh yes I did. I'm also aircraft fan. Been since I was 3-4. Planes should have been the perfect combination for me but it wasn't. It was painful to watch and my youngest thought the same. He is too young to be able to describe what he feels but I can read him by watching him and he wasn't enjoying it past the first ten minutes. The one and only time he got excited was when he saw the tractors. Simply because they reminded him about the tractors in Cars 1.

I've taken back the DVD for a refund and let me tell you I have never, ever in my life returned a movie before. If I saw it at carboot sale for 50p I would haggle with the seller as I think even than is too expensive.

Now... where is that Mater's Tales DVD which is also absurd but on entirely different level...

Anti-Static Wrist Strap Grounding Wrist Strap / Band / Grounding / Band ESD Discharge - Prevents Build up of Static Electricity - Comaptibles E-Shop
Offered by walwh

4.0 out of 5 stars Choose your seller wisely, 19 Aug. 2014
Well it's an antistatic wrist band and it works.

If you decided to buy one look who are you buying it from. There is an option of buying it cheap and waiting longer to have it delivered or slightly more expensive with shorter delivery time.

Page: 1 | 2